• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Army pharmacist introduced the potato as a food source for humans in Franc

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which Army pharmacist introduced the potato as a food source for humans in France in 1772?

Look closer at the photograph, it is a potato and not a pebble that is lined up along the ledge of this monument in Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. This is a small but appropriate token of appreciation of the pioneer work of military pharmacist Antoine-Auguste Parmentier (12 August 1737 - 17 December 1813). Back in the late 18th century, he popularised the consumption of potatoes in France. Discovered by Spanish explorers, the nutritious tuber was established as a staple crop in Belgium, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands and Prussia by the second half of the 18th century. Despite that food shortages were rife in France, especially in Paris, most of France still regarded the "pomme de terre" as a botanical curiosity and considered only fit for animal feed. Moreover, an Act of Parliament of 1748 prohibited its cultivation as human food, treating this legume with suspicion as an aphrodisiac, a cause of plague or leprosy.

Captured by the Prussian Army, Parmentier remembered after his release from captivity in 1763 that all soldiers and prisoners had to eat during the Seven Years' War in Westphalia were potatoes. None were under-nourished or exhausted. This observation prompted him to declare that potatoes were an excellent remedy against dysentery. After submitting a "mémoire" to the Academy of Besançon praising potatoes as nutrient, he won a prize in 1772. He pursued his research and dedicated much time and effort to promoting the value of the pomme de terre as food. He lobbied the Paris Faculty of Medecine that declared potatoes to be edible in 1772. However, French people continued to be reluctant to eat them although food shortages were rife in France, especially in Paris. He then invited Laurent Lavoisier, father of modern chemistry, and Benjamin Franklin, commissioner for the United States in France, to dinners where guests were served potatoes. Also, Louis XVI entrusted him with fifty-four arpents to cultivate potatoes in 1787. During the day, soldiers guarded the "royal garden" but intentionally let people at night to steal plants of potatoes facilitating further dissemination. Throughout his life, Parmentier intended to make science serve human beings and find a scientific approach to solve public health issues. Always concerned with hygiene, he was interested in the preservation of flour, wine and dairy products, and was one of the first scientists to study refrigeration methods for preserving meat and promoted food canning. However, Parmentier's actions should not be reduced to nutrition or the promotion of potatoes, corn, chestnuts, mushrooms and mineral water. His work and his innovative ideas, with more than 189 publications, made advancing scientific knowledge in various areas: blood analysis, preparation of drugs, opium effects, vaccination, exhumation safety or that of cesspools, etc. Outstanding organizer, he left his mark in the military health services, including civilian hospitals, hospices and prisons. The Governor of the Invalides created the post of Apothecary-Major of the French armed forces and Chief Pharmacist at Les Invalides especially for him on 18 July 1772. In 1782, he was offered the position of chemist for the German monarch but declined the position. The French Academy of Sciences made him one of its members in 1795. Appointed Inspector General of the military Health Service in 1796, he remained in post until his death and became the first chairman of the Society of Pharmacy in Paris when created in 1803 with the School of Pharmacy. In 1804, he held the position of First Pharmacist of the Armies and was responsible for supplying hospitals of the Great Army. As a military man, he participated in seventeen campaigns and was captured five times. For all this, Parmentier was honoured by Napoléon, who made him one of the first members of his Légion d'honneur which he created in 1802. Affected by pulmonary phthisis, he died at aged 76 on 17 December 1813 and was buried in the Père Lachaise Cemetery - 39th division, 2nd line, plot 26.

On this day, 12 August 2017, we commemorate the 280th anniversary of the birth of Antoine-Auguste Parmentier in the town of Montdidier in northern France, as well as more than 245 years since the potato was officially declared as edible food in France.

http://www.commemoration.info/pages/entries/entries.php?post=n72

Thanks for this, what a fascinating website to surf.  :nod:

and blocked by the Fed government McFee system, potatoes must still be banned here.  ::)

My firewall is happy to let me view.  You must work for Puritans...  ;D

Okay, so he promoted spuds, but it took anonymous and ingenious Canadians to properly elevate the use of the tuber - put gravy and cheese curds on deep fried potatoes.

Blackadder1916 said:
Okay, so he promoted spuds, but it took anonymous and ingenious Canadians to properly elevate the use of the tuber - put gravy and cheese curds on deep fried potatoes.

Of course that was just an evil British invention designed to keep the occupied French down :)

daftandbarmy said:
Of course that was just an evil British invention designed to keep the occupied French down :)

Unlikely.  At the time of the evolution of poutine (1950s/60s), the British mind could not comprehend such a combination.  Other than a concurrent use of hot liquid fat to make "fish and chips" (probably the utmost expression of British indigenous culinary achievement), the more flavourable components of their diet were borrowed from former colonies, e.g. curry.

Blackadder1916 said:
Unlikely.  At the time of the evolution of poutine (1950s/60s), the British mind could not comprehend such a combination.  Other than a concurrent use of hot liquid fat to make "fish and chips" (probably the utmost expression of British indigenous culinary achievement), the more flavourable components of their diet were borrowed from former colonies, e.g. curry.

We're getting off subject, but I have a century-plus-old copy of British Field Service Regulations. The cooking-in- the-field section emphasizes there are two main means of cooking, boiling and frying. The latter is defined as boiling in hot oil.

Interesting I assume the harden fat traveled better than water and was unlikely to be drunk by thirsty cooks

Colin P said:
Interesting I assume the harden fat traveled better than water and was unlikely to be drunk by thirsty cooks

Tallow (hardened at room temp beef fat) was a valuable commodity for the regimental funds and, while some was probably diverted by the KO for his own (and that of the Sgts' Mess) purpose, there were every strict regulations in place about disposal of used fats and oils as well as other food waste/by-products.  Though it was all originally purchased with public funds the proceeds of disposal were legitimately accounted for in non-public funds.  I recall reading an account of the measures that British units went through when they were closing out their time at some garrison in the Far East and heading home to England.  Not only was the goal to get the best price for their used cooking fats but they also did a brisk business in selling off dried used tea leaves.

Potatoes, being the basis of several liquors, always baffled me -- how did the Russians get credited with vodka and the Irish missed it?!

Journeyman said:
Potatoes, being the basis of several liquors, always baffled me -- how did the Russians get credited with vodka and the Irish missed it?!

Vodka is usually, and traditionally, made from grain. Potato vodka does of course exist, but is fairly recent, a product of the introduction of potatoes to Scandinavia and Eastern Europe in the 18th century.

In Ireland, potatoes never seemed to take hold as a booze source material. Barley based whiskey and poteen seem to have already been too well established by the time the potato was introduced to Ireland.

Making potato vodka is a very complicated process when compared to boiling up some wheat to convert the starches to fermentable sugars. At least that's what I heard somewhere.

The only time I ever mash potatoes is when I serve them with sausages.

Journeyman said:

They made something better: poteen. https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/376/poteen

Not to be consumed within a linear kilometer of an open flame, of course.

Back