• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where are heading

RCA

Inactive
Reaction score
I don’t know about you but I am getting tired about threads ultimately lead nowhere.

When I joined. you learned by trail and error. You kept your mouth shut and learned from those that had been around for awhile. By watching and learning, I was never steered wrong. Now we have threads about how to form your beret or shine your boots. Where are your course or section mates? One thing I learned from being in the military s self-reliance. All the “tricks of the trade” learned from observation. There are no short cuts. You do by doing.

What brought on this tirade is the perception is that this generation wants to do before gaining the experience. Numerous threads before have been ended early before meaniful discussion has even started.

And lastly, what is wrong with being a soldier being good as what he does. The Airborne is dead and never is coming back. What is wrong with being the best rifleman that you can be. This will lead to being the best section commander, the best Plt WO, CSM, and RSM that you can be. This should be your ultimate goal. To lead men to the best your abilities. Regardless of trade. You don’t need tombe a wana be for that.

true that!!! i think that your theory goes for everything you do in life... whether its the military, cadets, or even a civvie job.. as the US army slogan goes, "be all that you can be"... serious.. it works!!

RCA - I agreed with your post completely at first, but after some thought, I am not so sure your frustration is entirely warranted.

This forum provides a new soldier exactly what he can‘t have "in person" - anonymity.

It is true a new soldier needs to keep his mouth shut, watch, and learn. But if by coming here in anonymity and learning a couple of things that will give him/her self-confidence and a headstart in learning about stuff like discipline and deportment, no harm. Personally, I‘m weary of some of the elementary posts, but you know, no one is making me read them.

Again, if quality discussion seems to be lacking on this board, it‘s because you and others like you aren‘t trying hard enough? Start up a topic you feel is more worthy of our time, we‘ll do our best to accommodate ya... :D

There are limits to what new troops can learn here, and I hope that makes itself apparent to them.

And lastly, what is wrong with being a soldier being good as what he does. The Airborne is dead and never is coming back. What is wrong with being the best rifleman that you can be. This will lead to being the best section commander, the best Plt WO, CSM, and RSM that you can be. This should be your ultimate goal. To lead men to the best your abilities. Regardless of trade. You don’t need tombe a wana be for that.
This deserves a seperate reply. I couldn‘t agree more. Check out Gordon‘s post in the other forum regarding "wannabes".

Jessica Lynch (the mechanic who was captured in Iraq) - or more importantly the conversations that are springing up surrounding her story, the impending movie deal, etc. - highlights very well the importance of all trades in a modern Army, not just the infantry trades.

Aspirations are great; necessary even, but coming back to earth once in awhile and taking pride in what you do and have to work with right now is essential also.

Back