• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When OTing, being allowed to go work in that trade to get the "feel" of it?

honestyrules

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that we are allowed to go work for a little bit with the folks (of requested trades).

How does it work? Do you have exemples to bring to the table?
Is it only when your OT has been accepted or do you have the right to go when your Paperwork is in?

I'm not sure where you got this idea from but I don't think it's entirely correct.

Pre-OT (that is before your effective OT date) any arrangement to go work for the gaining trade would be informal and at the discretion of the chain of command for both your current trade and the gaining trade. It'd really be more of a tour than anything else since there probably wouldn't be much you could do being unqualified.

Once you actually OT to your new trade, you'll normally spend a period of time doing OJT before your formal training begins. This can vary wildly depending on the trade you OTd into, what base you're coming from and who is available to look after you. You could spend the entire time photocopying in the BTL section or you could actually be exposed to whatever work your new trade does.

There's nothing I'm aware of that says your current trade has to let you go for "famil" time in a requested trade.  If you want to do it, I would expect you have to make all the arrangements yourself and get the permission of your CoC if it entails time away from your current position.

You don't belong to the new trade until the date of the OT.  Until then, everything is business as usual in your old trade.

Until you have been selected, accepted your offer and have received your official OT instructions and the effective date of your OT has arrived, anything you go and do with the new trade is simply out of the goodness of someone's heart.  Your current MOC is under no obligation to send you on anything, just so you can get a feel for it.

When i remustered, it was effective april 1st.  My OT instructions said that after that date, i was to be employed at the nearest air element unit , if possible, until my course started. I was lucky there was a TAC Hel unit on the base so i did not have to do shyte jobs for the BTL.  Prior to april 1st i had to suck it up and work  my old trade.

Thanks for all replies!

Until you have been selected, accepted your offer and have received your official OT instructions and the effective date of your OT has arrived, anything you go and do with the new trade is simply out of the goodness of someone's heart.  Your current MOC is under no obligation to send you on anything, just so you can get a feel for it.

I realize that, although I thought that I seen something of that nature on paper. It was before the OT is being accepted. Maybe I was dreaming or something. If one day I manage to find something on the subject ,I'll post it here.

Back