• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats with the NATO rounds thing?

P

Pugnacious

Being a firearm newbie I was wondering what is the scoop is on the NATO rounds thing?
Why was this "standardization" done?

Cheers!
P.

Hey Pug,

Maybe be more specific with your question. I don't think your question is very clear, 'Nato rounds thing' is probably not detailed enough.

Not that I would know enough  to answer your question anyway ;)

Pieman

Oops sorry I deleted a chunk before I posted...
The standard sizes...5.56, 7.63 etc. 
Is there a tactical, political, supply reason for these being adopted as "NATO rounds".
I hope this makes better sense.

Cheers!
P.

Basically for ease of supply and the ability to interchange ammunition between NATO countries.  Two hours after the WP attacked and all the Canadian transport had been destroyed we could still rely on being able use ammo the Portugese delivered (for example) at least for our small arms.
Coming to a decision between all the countries on what round to adopt must have been like herding cats.  It took so long that the original US 5.56mm round (M193) is not infact NATO standard but the US had to adopt something.  It goes further than just SAA as well.  Mortar rounds come with pictoral guide as to what charges and what elevations to use for different ranges so that non-English speakers can use it.

Thank you ammo tech' , that's the info I was looking for, makes sense now....herding cats good image.  ;D

Cheers!
P.

Back