• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Anyway, once you guys cease with the etymology lecture and get on with finding his links for him, would you drop by and fold my laundry too, because I don't feel like doing anything for myself either.

My dog could use a walk while you're at it

PMedMoe said:
Yep, ranks up there with tomfoolery and hooliganism for me.
wink.gif
Well.....etymologically speaking.....I would say that tomfoolery is actually closer to shenanigans, than it is to hooliganism or douchebaggery.

And this is all another fine example of the sort of errant pedantry up with which we should not put.

PMedMoe said:
Is "douchebaggery" a word?
huh.gif
I would say it should be any bit as acceptable as the noun form.  I mean, for every noun to describe such a person, there is usually a verb or adjective to describe such behavior. 

stupid = stupidity
gaggle-f*** = gaggle-f***ery
ignorant = ignorance

So just like the word douchebag itself, it's only a matter of time before it's recognized as a legitimate word.  "D'oh!" is in most dictionaries.

Journeyman said:
Well.....etymologically speaking.....I would say that tomfoolery is actually closer to shenanigans, than it is to hooliganism or douchebaggery.

And this is all another fine example of the sort of errant pedantry up with which we should not put.

I never meant to imply that they were related, I just like the sound of them.
grin.gif

PMedMoe said:
I never meant to imply that they were related, I just like the sound of them.
grin.gif

Some words just roll of the tongue, like Antidisestablishmentarialism

I just don't see myself using it in an everyday sentence:

So Mr Jones, what kind of douchebaggery brings you to see us today?

I'm pretty sure I'd loose my licence over that.

Journeyman said:

I thought Shenanigans is the nsme of a bar with all sorts of cr@p on the walls.. ;D

Computer Sciences course:

Teach: "Well, what's this window down here? I've never seen this before."
Me: "Are you sure? It's the Command Prompt."
Teach: "Where'd you download that from?"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was extremely disappointed throughout the day.

medicineman said:
Doubt it - a 4 year old would have known that...

MM

Yeah.

The teacher looks like he's only a couple years younger than my father.. so about 42.

Last week, while discussing terrorism in class, a very special young lady completely misinterpreted what I said and we got this;

Me: "I think people tend to not understand terrorism, it's not an ideology or belief system but rather terrorism could be defined as a tactic that is used by a group to further their aims. So essentially, it's a misnomer when we lable Al Qaida as a 'terrorist group' when we really, technically, should be calling it a radical religious group that uses terrorism as a tool to further its aims".

and then I get this little gem in return (I am NOT making this up);

Girl: "Ya, like the US uses terrorist tactics too. They've got this group called Alpha 66 and Omega 10 which are top secret teams of trained terrorists that the US has used in Iraq".

And then, silence.

George Wallace said:
She definitely needs a tinfoil hat.

I just wish I had been quicker thinking....could have put my cell to my ear and said "Woodpecker this is Red Rover, she's on to us, send in the black helicopters". Alas, no such luck.

Oh, and in the same class on the same day (it's called Violence and Society) I got this little wonder (we talked about labour violence for the first half of the class);

"Well, violence is totally justified but only if it's committed by unions and other disadvantaged groups against the corporations which exploit workers and people and therefore deserve anything that's done to them".

So wait, then you support the mission in Afghanistan (the use of targeted violence against an 'evil' entity)?

"No, because Afghanistan and Iraq are colonial attempts to suppress and enslave disadvantaged people and women" (notice how women is put into a seperate category)

Sigh.

Alpha 66 actually does exist...except it's a bunch of Cuban expats who opposed Castro. Same thing goes for Omega 10 Omega 7. Somebody's been reading a bit too much National Enquirer.

"No, because Afghanistan and Iraq are colonial attempts to suppress and enslave disadvantaged people and women" (notice how women is put into a seperate category)

Wait a minute, everyones that women gained "people status" in the 60s and I think it was 1980 or so when when they gained equal rights to be disadvantaged!

HighlandIslander said:
Alpha 66 actually does exist...except it's a bunch of Cuban expats who opposed Castro. Same thing goes for Omega 10 Omega 7. Somebody's been reading a bit too much National Enquirer.

Good thing she didn't really confused and call them Omega 3's.    ;D

Back