• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

My daughters boyfreind commented on how he and a few of his buds were talking about going cross border to join the marines...I called Bull Sh@T and offered to drive them to NY state with a quick stop at the Kingston Recruiting office along the way.

NOT ONE go in my car.

You had to be there.
To protect the innocent I can't go into detail.
Lets just say something funny, yet inappropriate was being done by someone completely ut of their league....

OldSolduer said:
My son had his SN tattooed on his arm. It was a beautiful tattoo. We cannot see it anymore, and I don't see the hum or in your post.
Sir this wasn't a drag on any individual bearing the tattoo.  I don't know what your son's tattoo looked like, but this individual I speak of didn't have a very attractive or imaginative slant on his.  I don't know what the meaning behind both were, but at least they both meant well.

I apologize for the remark, and the odd coincidence between it and Micheal, and I truly hope he's resting peacefully (even though I may have unknowingly dissed his tattoo and what's behind it).

You know, some people think I'm crazy, but there's this image from a WWII propaganda poster I want all over me.  For a while, I once thought about getting crossed swords somewhere, but many people insisted, "that's so cliche" etc

My daughters boyfreind commented on how he and a few of his buds were talking about going cross border to join the marines...I called Bull Sh@T and offered to drive them to NY state with a quick stop at the Kingston Recruiting office along the way.

NOT ONE go in my car.

Well what's so bad about the USMC?

They do their job, and they do it effectively.

CorporalMajor said:
Well what's so bad about the USMC?

They do their job, and they do it effectively.

He didn't call "bullsh1t" on the Marines, he was calling it on the boys' big talk about joining up and even offering them a chance to reconsider the CF first along the way.

I work in a bakery, and a lady comes in to order a Black Forest cake..

Her: What sizes do you make them in?
Me:  8" round and an 8x12.
Her: Is the 8x12 also round?
Me:  ...........Pardon?

I gave her the benefit of the doubt - maybe she was thinking 12" round and 8" high. So I explain. But it goes on..

Her: Ok, and about how big is the 8x12?
Me:  It's 8x12 inches.
Her: So.... how big is that?

...I ended up having to show her one in the display case.
I'll give her another benefit of the doubt though - maybe she grew up in some rural Canadian town without TV, and never heard of the imperial system... geez

combatbuddha said:
Regiment, Atten-tion!
And that's dumb.....how?  ???
You had to be there.
Lets just say something funny, yet inappropriate was being done by someone completely ut of their league....

Oh, well then, thank you for contributing absolutely nothing of value to this thread.  ::)

"would you like a straw with that?"

says the chick at Tim Hortons as she hands me my iced capp.

No Einstein... pass me a spoon.  ::)

My apologies for going on a bit of a tangent, but I'm curious about the PLQ/commission/release discussion a few pages back.

It sounded to me like individuals were viewing PLQ as a negative thing.  Why is this?

I'm not trying to imply anything, I'm just curious.  :)

Lil_T said:
"would you like a straw with that?"

says the chick at Tim Hortons as she hands me my iced capp.

No Einstein... pass me a spoon.  ::)

Iv gotten some that need a spoon to eat  :'(

boot12 said:
My apologies for going on a bit of a tangent, but I'm curious about the PLQ/commission/release discussion a few pages back.

It sounded to me like individuals were viewing PLQ as a negative thing.  Why is this?

I'm not trying to imply anything, I'm just curious.  :)

The problem with getting PLQ that early in some people's careers is that someone with only 2 or 3 years in, especially in the reserves, is not really experienced enough to fill that role and accept that responsibility.  That is how most of my peers see it.

The fact is, MCpls and Sgts lead through their experience on the job.  Ptes and even Officers turn to them for advice and guidance.  However, let's say you give me my leaf. I have very little experience in my trade - (a mere 3 years part time) - you really do have to know what you are doing and have a lot of knowledge. I am not yet in a position to take charge of a handful of other people especially when I have so much to learn myself. 

It's not that I can't lead, or that others can't lead, or that we're all garbage soldiers, it's that many of us being put on PLQ this early are far behind what MCpls should have in terms of practical experience, which is only truly gained thru time in or operational tours.  Ideally I'd want 5-8 years in uniform and a tour before I be given the privilege of junior leadership. But with the turnover and rate of recruiting, I might be required to do it as soon as next year. That is why a lot of us juniors are uncomfortable about doing it so soon. 

Commission isn't bad, but still, some people like myself are NCM kinda guys, not really suited for the officer personality. Some of the OCdts/2LTs I have seen are complete turkeys, but thankfully they get put in their place.  I'd like to start over with the exp I have now, and I think I'm in tune with how the rest of my soldiers think, but I'd rather be a junior instead.

CorporalMajor said:
The problem with getting PLQ that early in some people's careers is that someone with only 2 or 3 years in, especially in the reserves, is not really experienced enough to fill that role and accept that responsibility.  That is how most of my peers see it.

The fact is, MCpls and Sgts lead through their experience on the job.  Ptes and even Officers turn to them for advice and guidance.  However, let's say you give me my leaf. I have very little experience in my trade - (a mere 3 years part time) - you really do have to know what you are doing and have a lot of knowledge. I am not yet in a position to take charge of a handful of other people especially when I have so much to learn myself. 

It's not that I can't lead, or that others can't lead, or that we're all garbage soldiers, it's that many of us being put on PLQ this early are far behind what MCpls should have in terms of practical experience, which is only truly gained thru time in or operational tours.  Ideally I'd want 5-8 years in uniform and a tour before I be given the privilege of junior leadership. But with the turnover and rate of recruiting, I might be required to do it as soon as next year. That is why a lot of us juniors are uncomfortable about doing it so soon. 

Commission isn't bad, but still, some people like myself are NCM kinda guys, not really suited for the officer personality. Some of the OCdts/2LTs I have seen are complete turkeys, but thankfully they get put in their place.  I'd like to start over with the exp I have now, and I think I'm in tune with how the rest of my soldiers think, but I'd rather be a junior instead.

Cpl Major:
This is what I told my soldiers last weekend....they are not "mine" per se, but they work for the people of Canada....you know what I mean.

In the Army, we don't step back or down, we step up. By that I mean is that in the absence of the next higher rank, the lower ranks step up and takes charge. Senior people don't step back or down to do a subordinates job under normal circumstances.
As the DSM, I don' go back to being a CSM, I step up in the absence of the RSM. The same principle applies everywhere in the Army. Step up. Take Charge. I encourage you to do the same.

Haha
It just came to me, the dumbest thing I herd today was that my school is the only one getting a snow day, and there is no real snow on the ground here.
I think it may have been because the secretary couldn't get her dropped civic with low profile tyres through the 5 cm of snow , I mean if that cant make it nobody can  ::), that and the fact that most of the parents(my school is K-12) really suck at driving in the snow.

PLQ is not a promotion, it's a required step toward promotion.  Combat arms units in the reg army have been sending Ptes/Sprs/Tprs/Gnrs on JLC/CLC/PLQ for donkeys years.  Plus it's nowhere near the c0ck course it was back in the good old days of yore, and you might actually learn something.  Don't turn down leadership training of any kind.

OldSolduer said:
Cpl Major:
This is what I told my soldiers last weekend....they are not "mine" per se, but they work for the people of Canada....you know what I mean.

In the Army, we don't step back or down, we step up. By that I mean is that in the absence of the next higher rank, the lower ranks step up and takes charge. Senior people don't step back or down to do a subordinates job under normal circumstances.
As the DSM, I don' go back to being a CSM, I step up in the absence of the RSM. The same principle applies everywhere in the Army. Step up. Take Charge. I encourage you to do the same.
You're right, In the absence of my CC or I/C I will always take over and use my initiative.  I never had a problem with LEADING.  I always look after my new guys, and I know that under my wing, they will see what integrity, honesty and genuine care, really means. 

In school I have led dozens of projects and most of them were successful, some of them weren't. Sometimes it was me, sometimes it was them, but I've learned, I've taken charge many times.

But in higher ranks, you are supposed to know something, and sadly I only know so much.  The trade is very multifaceted and seemingly does a back flip every few years. That's why getting promoted is always a double edged sword.  You get the honor of taking charge and showing the way.  But if you don't have a clue, there are many stumbling blocks you will trip over.  My aim is to actually be more technically proficient, be a MASTER of my trade and soldiering, before I get Master Corporal.

NOW, am not shying away from courses.. I just don't think PLQ is what I need now, but I am sure it will come in handy if god forbid I wind up on it.  I would simply prefer, to focus on my technical skills and followship, before my leadership. Not to mention, I need to up my marksmanship, fitness and even go on a tour, so I can truly lead through experience and by example.

On that tangent:

What I think CM is getting at is that he would rather be an excellent Corporal before moving on to the next level. It is one thing to be promoted beyond your ability but at your potential and completely another to be promoted beyond your potential entirely.

I think most of us would rather be remembered as a switched on [Rank] rather than a marginal [Rank+1]. Anyone here ever see someone get promoted too fast? [Rhetorical]

BUT: I do think PLQ does a world of good to anyone who really tries and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Journeyman said:
You had to be there.

Oh, well then, thank you for contributing absolutely nothing of value to this thread.  ::)

But he has the previously noted and increasingly popular
Option B  8)

Dissident said:
What I think CM is getting at is that he would rather be an excellent Corporal before moving on to the next level. It is one thing to be promoted beyond your ability but at your potential and completely another to be promoted beyond your potential entirely.

I think most of us would rather be remembered as a switched on [Rank] rather than a marginal [Rank+1]. Anyone here ever see someone get promoted too fast? [Rhetorical]

BUT: I do think PLQ does a world of good to anyone who really tries and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Exactly!  :nod:  I'm doing fine now, but to get promoed, I need to do even better than that.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/84561.0/all.html

This is probably the dumbest thing I have seen/heard today. I did spend the day at home though, so maybe I am reaching.

Back