• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Sounds like someone with an axe to grind about outsourcing his job to civilians.

Hopefully this will be reflected on his next performance review (knowing the DC Police chief, she probably would do it too!)

District police officer says a department speed camera is wrong

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/district-police-officer-says-a-department-speed-camera-is-wrong/2013/01/02/48fbe386-5531-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html?hpid=z2

A District police officer who is challenging the accuracy of his own department’s speed camera program said a discrepancy on a speeding ticket from the Third Street Tunnel helped him beat the charge, and could lead to many other dismissals that would force the city to give back hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sgt. Mark E. Robinson, who cast himself as a whistleblower, argued that the citation issued by a speed camera in the Third Street Tunnel was invalid because the camera should have been set to enforce a posted 40-mph construction-zone speed limit. Instead, the camera was set to enforce the 45-mph limit that is regularly in force there.   :facepalm:

Even though the city’s police department is giving motorists the benefit of an extra 5 mph, it is violating the law because Title 18 of the D.C. Municipal Regulations requires the city to enforce the posted limit, Robinson said.

“Due to that technicality, the citation is invalid,” Robinson said Wednesday in a telephone interview. “We can only enforce what’s posted. We can’t say we’re going to forgive 5 mph. We have to be 100 percent accurate.”

Robinson said a hearing officer agreed with him and dismissed the ticket last month. The Washington Times, which first reported the story Tuesday, said that if the decision were upheld, the city might have to return $1.8 million in fines from more than 14,000 tickets issued by the Third Street Tunnel camera. Those numbers could not be immediately verified Wednesday.

City officials argue that the ticket was issued properly. Like other cameras set up near temporary construction zones, the unattended machine is calibrated to enforce the regular 45-mph speed limit because the machine cannot determine when workers are present and the District Department of Transportation’s construction site is active. It’s also not clear how long the stretch of I-395 will be a work zone.

“We have kept the photo enforcement speed limit at 45 mph since it was not clear when the construction would be finished and DDOT did not ask us to enforce at the 40-mph speed limit. Any tickets issued have been issued for traveling in excess of 45 mph, not 40 mph,” police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said in an e-mail.

Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) announced in November that the city would reduce some speeding fines, a move driven at least partly by complaints over the city’s reliance on the enormous revenues generated by automated traffic devices. The city hauled in nearly $85 million in the past fiscal year, with a single camera on New York Avenue generating $11.6 million over a 23-month period. Gray said the adjusted fines would increase the fairness of a system that he also credited for dramatic improvements in traffic safety.

Robinson,who joined the force in 1990 and had been working with the automated traffic enforcement unit until recently, said problems have come up since sworn personnel were replaced with civilians. He said he has complained to superiors and other city officials about alleged inaccuracies in the speed camera program, but said nothing has been done.

Crump said in an e-mail that there is “no evidence to support” Robinson’s claim that there is a problem with enforcement.

Boy, 6, suspended from Silver Spring school for pointing finger like a gun

The parents of a 6-year-old Silver Spring boy are fighting the first-grader’s suspension from a Montgomery County public school for pointing his finger like a gun and saying “pow,” an incident school officials characterized in a disciplinary letter as a threat “to shoot a student.”

The first-grader was suspended for one day, Dec. 21. The family’s attorney filed an appeal Wednesday, asking that the incident be expunged from the boy’s school record amid concerns of long-term fallout.

The boy “had no intention to shoot anyone,” said attorney Robin Ficker, who described the child as soft-spoken, with no propensity for violence. “He’s skinny and meek. In his words, he was playing.”

The suspension came in a week when the nation was reeling from the massacre that claimed the lives of 20 children and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. — and left elected leaders, educators and parents debating how best to keep schools safe.

More at link

I love this opinion piece from the same paper.

PMedMoe said:
Boy, 6, suspended from Silver Spring school for pointing finger like a gun

The parents of a 6-year-old Silver Spring boy are fighting the first-grader’s suspension from a Montgomery County public school for pointing his finger like a gun and saying “pow,” an incident school officials characterized in a disciplinary letter as a threat “to shoot a student.”

The first-grader was suspended for one day, Dec. 21. The family’s attorney filed an appeal Wednesday, asking that the incident be expunged from the boy’s school record amid concerns of long-term fallout.

The boy “had no intention to shoot anyone,” said attorney Robin Ficker, who described the child as soft-spoken, with no propensity for violence. “He’s skinny and meek. In his words, he was playing.”

The suspension came in a week when the nation was reeling from the massacre that claimed the lives of 20 children and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. — and left elected leaders, educators and parents debating how best to keep schools safe.

More at link

I love this opinion piece from the same paper.

Just read in the Post that they have rescinded the suspension.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/in-silver-spring-suspension-of-6-year-old-student-is-reversed-by-school-officials/2013/01/04/4dcbb0d8-561e-11e2-bf3e-76c0a789346f_story.html?hpid=z3

Looks like the finger rights advocates had a stronger lobby in the National Finger Association than the finger control lobby. ;D

Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. It's always easier to do nothing than something.

A friend of mine posted this twitter link on facebook earlier today.  I will show you an example:

I wish I could beat up the inventor of the dildo...I would give him quite the fisting all right!

acid_picdump_75-500x666.jpg

That.

I have been without internet service but I finally  thought i would share a conversation I had with a guy hitch hiking I picked up before Christmas.

I picked him as he was walking towards hightway  17 outside of Renfrew. Turned out we both went to the same highschool around the same time period, but I do not recall him or anything else about him.
I said I joined the Res Forces while in highschool and he told me he was also ex army, I was very  curious about his service. As not many  military types from my highschool besides  the guys I knew.

He went on to tell me his military career was hush hush and very specialized training. He was took his basic training at a special military school ( Robert Borden Academy) and then went to CFB Petawawa for further training. He did not stay long in the Forces as his skills were in high demand.
I thought he was a poser wearing military like winter clothes hitching a ride.

It was my humour for the day......boys school was the same as basic training and better than RCR battle school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2259604/Girl-emergency-surgery-tongue-gets-STUCK-metal-water-bottle-scary-trend-threatens-kids-country.html

BAN THE WATER BOTTLE!

/sarcasm

How about...teach your kids to not stick their tongues in things?  :facepalm:

medicineman said:
We know you wanna... ;D

MM

I was going to, but had to double check the age of the kid as to tailor an age appropriate response.  None was found.

Tim Horton's staff said to another employee, "I really wish I had some steamed broccoli right now."

http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.ca/  That dr is awesome.  If you want to read stupid things stupid people say...just go to that guy's blog...it outlines some of his day to day interactions with his patients (No identifying info or Medical Privacy laws are breached no worries)

Tweet I saw the other day:
https://twitter.com/markrazyashit/status/285877904594853888

Haven't heard anything really stupid since Theresa Spence stopped talking to the press.

Pandora114 said:
http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.ca/  That dr is awesome.  If you want to read stupid things stupid people say...just go to that guy's blog...it outlines some of his day to day interactions with his patients (No identifying info or Medical Privacy laws are breached no worries)
Reads like a regular day at work for me... FML

How the ban of large capacity magazines for assault weapons will reduce the number of nuts who kill for the hell of it. This from the US government.

Oh wait criminals and nuts don't obey the laws do they?

My bad..... :facepalm:

Jim Seggie said:
How the ban of large capacity magazines for assault weapons will reduce the number of nuts who kill for the hell of it. This from the US government.

Oh wait criminals and nuts don't obey the laws do they?

My bad..... :facepalm:

About as logical as arming all the teachers. :nod:

Back