• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Seeing a meeting notice, requesting a decision to not make decisions.

dapaterson said:
Seeing a meeting notice, requesting a decision to not make decisions.

For the govt I would say that is for par, not dumb.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Maybe we need to start an "Insensitive Boors" thread.

Dead man's family gets water bill break

PORT COLBORNE, Ont. - This small Ontario city's council will excuse most of a dead man's water bill after his family complained to the media they were being treated without a lot of sympathy by the city.

Allister MacPherson died suddenly on Sept. 28 and the bathroom tap in his home ran for three weeks before family members discovered his body.

The steady flow resulted in a whopping water bill totalling $586.44 - including $14.30 as a late payment charge.

More at link

In the end, the bill was reduced to $162.85 but some councillors were still opposed. 

Kind of reminds me of when my Dad passed away.  He had just renewed his subscription for the daily newspaper.  When we were home for the funeral, I went to the newspaper's office to cancel the delivery and get a partial refund.  When the clerk asked why the subscription was being cancelled, I responded, "The person who was receiving it passed away."  You could have heard a pin drop, but she served me quickly and offered condolences.

Also, have to like the comment in the article by one of the councillors; "If there isn't a precedent, this may set it and open the floodgates."

Makes you wonder if he intended the pun or not?    ;D

I don't know which is sadder, the city sending the bill, or that it took 3 weeks for the family to discover he had died.

Latest news about Italian cruise ship on Global.  The Captain of the ship testified to a judge that he tripped and fell into lifeboat and was not abandoning ship. ::)

cupper said:
I don't know which is sadder, the city sending the bill, or that it took 3 weeks for the family to discover he had died.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  :(

GnyHwy said:
Latest news about Italian cruise ship on Global.  The Captain of the ship testified to a judge that he tripped and fell into lifeboat and was not abandoning ship. ::)

I read in a news article that he was "coordinating" the search from the shore.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I read in a news article that he was "coordinating" the search from the shore.  ::)

Well that makes sense then.  He adapted and overcame.  After tripping into lifeboat and landing safely ashore, he skillfully reoriented and provided the necessary leadership and guidance from a far.

GnyHwy said:
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh.  Seriously! 

cupper said:
Very good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  I could not think of any worse verdict on your life: to be gone, fully out of contact with everyone you know for three weeks, and not be noticed as missing for that entire time.

Listening to a commercial for a restaurant on the radio this morning:

"The smell of eggs cracking......."

Eggs have a smell when you crack them?

Also, a sign in the window of a restaurant in Angus:

"Full coarse meals served"

I wonder how rough they are?  ;D

Starting to realize that the dumbest thing I hear is the daily new thread titled  "Am I a good ROTP candidate"?  :threat:

"What's the cost to ship a CE738A#BGJ?"  (I know what it is, but where do you want it to go?)

My reply: "Eleventy-two dollars plus a nickel."

David1997 said:
All this stuff put together.
Oh, right -- but you're not one of those 'brilliant' ROTP candidate posters......  ;)

[I try to ignore the Recruiting threads; but you're fair game, posting out here with the grown-ups  :nod: ]

Journeyman said:
Oh, right -- but you're not one of those 'brilliant' ROTP candidate posters......  ;)

[I try to ignore the Recruiting threads; but you're fair game, posting out here with the grown-ups  :nod: ]

Sorry, shoulda warned him... Shoulda coulda woulda.

Foxhound said:
"What's the cost to ship a CE738A#BGJ?"  (I know what it is, but where do you want it to go?)

My reply: "Eleventy-two dollars plus a nickel."

Not a bad shipping rate on that.

Back