• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do when pulled over by the Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
zipperhead_cop said:
Then it's going to be Edison medicine for anyone who so much as has a cocked eyebrow.   ::)

Technically wouldn't it be Tesla Medicine ?, or perhaps a Swift Shock?

zipperhead_cop said:
At least until I get a taser.  Then it's going to be Edison medicine for anyone who so much as has a cocked eyebrow.  ::) 

Interesting comment, that.

Tommy said:
if you dont mind tell me (PM if you prefer) how come you tend to avoid the Stick and Spray? Just not effective enough to make it worthwhile?

There just never seems like a good reason to use the baton, and the couple of times I did it wasn't effective.  It got the guys attention, then I was back to hands and also had to worry about my baton rolling away or being grabbed by someone else (think big downtown bar fight scenario).
I dislike spray probably because I personally hate being around the stuff.  You sauce a guy, then you have to sit there spraying water into his eyes while sheets of snot run out of him which they tend to spit and shake everywhere.  It wastes time to decontaminate.  Plus, you always run a bit of a risk of cross contamination when it hits the wind or bounces back from the conclave shape of an eye socket.  Over and above that, mental determination can get some people through the pain and thus render it useless.  Other people may feel different, but that seems to be the norm around our city. 

JBoyd said:
Technically wouldn't it be Tesla Medicine ?, or perhaps a Swift Shock?

No, because that doesn't rhyme.  Plus, wasn't Tesla into broadcasting energy?  Tasers use probes to deliver their shock. 

Neill McKay said:
Interesting comment, that.

Lighten up, Francis.  It was just a crossover comment from the other ongoing taser thread.  Or were you just trying to get a post in so you could get updates?

zipperhead_cop said:
No, because that doesn't rhyme.  Plus, wasn't Tesla into broadcasting energy?  Tasers use probes to deliver their shock. 

Yes 'Edison Medicine' has a better ring to it. Tesla was a major pioneer in modern AC, Edison was in to DC, Does the taser utilize principles of AC? or DC?

but dont forget about Tom Swift :D

zipperhead_cop said:
I believe that tasers use DC current.  I don't know who Tom Swift is. 

You're obviously the product of an underprivileged childhood.  (Or maybe I'm just older than you).

Tom Swift - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swift
                  http://tomswift.bobfinnan.com/

zipperhead_cop said:
There just never seems like a good reason to use the baton, and the couple of times I did it wasn't effective.  It got the guys attention, then I was back to hands and also had to worry about my baton rolling away or being grabbed by someone else (think big downtown bar fight scenario).
I dislike spray probably because I personally hate being around the stuff.  You sauce a guy, then you have to sit there spraying water into his eyes while sheets of snot run out of him which they tend to spit and shake everywhere.  It wastes time to decontaminate.  Plus, you always run a bit of a risk of cross contamination when it hits the wind or bounces back from the conclave shape of an eye socket.  Over and above that, mental determination can get some people through the pain and thus render it useless.  Other people may feel different, but that seems to be the norm around our city. 

Lighten up, Francis.  It was just a crossover comment from the other ongoing taser thread.  Or were you just trying to get a post in so you could get updates?

WRT spray....my neice (RCMP in BC) was out on a call one night with another member and they pulled over a belligerent individual. Said individual got her partner by the throat so she climbed in the other side of the vehicle and put the guy in a headlock. This freed up her partner who got his spray out but at the last minute the individual struggled and the spray hit my neice full in the face instead of the intended target. Needless to say...she isn't a big fan of spray anymore either. ;D

Spray is an area weapon, even bystanders get a taste of it if the wind is right wrong.

zipperhead_cop said:
I believe that tasers use DC current.  I don't know who Tom Swift is. 

I agree with Roy, underpriviledged childhood indeed.

Plus I figured someone would have told you what taser stood for too...

Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle

JBoyd said:
I agree with Roy, underpriviledged childhood indeed.

I would be making the usual pot/kettle analogy if it did not appear as though you are still within yours and therefore still subject to assessment. 

IN HOC SIGNO said:
WRT spray....my neice (RCMP in BC) was out on a call one night with another member and they pulled over a belligerent individual. Said individual got her partner by the throat so she climbed in the other side of the vehicle and put the guy in a headlock. This freed up her partner who got his spray out but at the last minute the individual struggled and the spray hit my neice full in the face instead of the intended target. Needless to say...she isn't a big fan of spray anymore either. ;D

There is a possibility that your niece's partner is a bit of a clod.  You shouldn't be using your spray that close to your partner.  Hopefully, since they would be going to the hospital anyway, they were able to clean her up well. 

Pull over and stop before the officer even gets his/her lights on....
It works well and usually segways into some good road side humour.

SPRAY SUCKS!...I have been the recipient of indirect and accidentally direct sprays...Not a huge fan :'(

Heh.... it's not like you were intentionally sent into a gas chamber without a mask...

or the other time, when you go in with the mask, are told to do some pushups, take off the mask, give your name, rank & SIN and told to exit using the back door.... only to find out that the back door is locked & you have to bull your way thru the room and out the front door......

geo said:
Heh.... it's not like you were intentionally sent into a gas chamber without a mask...

Gas Hut was like a day at the "Spa" in comparison... ;D

zipperhead_cop said:
I would be making the usual pot/kettle analogy if it did not appear as though you are still within yours and therefore still subject to assessment. 

There is a possibility that your niece's partner is a bit of a clod.  You shouldn't be using your spray that close to your partner.  Hopefully, since they would be going to the hospital anyway, they were able to clean her up well. 

Agreed ZIP....what was he thinking?? The Corporal had some pretty pointed words for him when they got back to the Detachment.

zipperhead_cop said:
There just never seems like a good reason to use the baton, and the couple of times I did it wasn't effective...
I dislike spray probably because I personally hate being around the stuff.  You sauce a guy, then you have to sit there spraying water into his eyes while sheets of snot run out of him which they tend to spit and shake everywhere...

Cant Argue with those answers....

sounds to me like the TASER still has the best track record out of all the intermediate weapons then....

and having had pepper spray (very light, indirect amount) even though it was only enough to be a minimal irritant (some idiot sprayed it in a school hallway when i was working as a janitor) it was still tangy enough to make me not like it all that much... and it also made the hallway unwalkable for 45 mins. while it got vented out. (good thing it was after school hours)

Chris Rock
"How to not get your ass kicked by the police."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRyEWsIkMc

Piper said:
Pull out your badge and off ya go.

Membership has its privileges.  ;D

Be smart about how you play the ID card, though.  Maybe segway into something like "jeez, my sergeant major is going to kick my ass when I tell him about this".  Hopefully that will twig the officer to inquire about your status.  I never like "I don't know if it helps, but x,y,z".  I don't need "help" deciding if someone will get a break, and it seems like the inference is "you're going to give me a break, here let me make it easier for you". 

zipperhead_cop said:
Membership has its privileges.   ;D

Be smart about how you play the ID card, though.  Maybe segway into something like "jeez, my sergeant major is going to kick my *** when I tell him about this".  Hopefully that will twig the officer to inquire about your status.  I never like "I don't know if it helps, but x,y,z".  I don't need "help" deciding if someone will get a break, and it seems like the inference is "you're going to give me a break, here let me make it easier for you". 

And don't try to give him some army-related BS Story.

I heard of a guy who tried the "I'm speeding, because I just got called off leave and have to report to Pet for standby." When he couldn't back it up, trouble brewed.

agreed... if youre accually being called in for an emergency thats fine.  but BS never ends well.....

there are more and more Ex Mil types on the police service (I have been told) and nothing could be worse for your already bad situation then to lie to someone who used to do the job.

remember, ultimately YOU are the reason that YOU are being pulled over.

I usually find, "Sorry I screwed up there." to work much better than trying to flash an ID around. I was stopped one night after I ran a red light late in Armdale on the other side of the Rotary here in Halifax. I co-operated fully and said "You know what I just wasn't paying enough attention and had no excuse not to stop back there." He said "OK sir I'm just going to run your info and I'll be right back." When he came back he said "OK sir, it's late and you're probably tired....wake up and pay attention...have a nice evening."
In a town of over 7000 military he would't have been too impressed with an ID I don't think. Truth be told I deserved the ticket and he was being a nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back