• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to bring to the Field- Tips and Tricks

Old Sweat said:
There was an old army urban legend about the military training assistance program student from a Francophone 3rd world country who ended up in hospital after eating some of the tablets. His excuse was he thought the tablets were fish and Canadians had misspelt POISSON.

:facepalm:
I've heard the same urban legend when they took them out of the ration packs.

milnews.ca said:
I've heard the same urban legend when they took them out of the ration packs.
It was an R22R member that was the unfortunate fellow in the story In my day. I still have one of the 6 tab sheets.

Another thing I bring to the field is a helmet liner. If you are bald like me, they really start grinding on your scalp after 10 or so hours. I personally made my own, but I am sure they can buy them. Plus, in the winter, when you are stationary but wearing a helmet, they retain heat pretty bloody well.

Tank Troll said:
Big Rambo knife and tomahawk ? Really? ::) do you bring a compound bow and explosive tipped arrows for taking out bunkers like Rambo also or do you prefer a cross bow with oak shafts so they shatter better when they hit the sentries necks, ala Wild Geese, oh wait that was what the Rambo knife was for.

Actually, the bow is for shooting down helicopters. Having recently been directly overflown by a pair of Hinds (what an intimidating sight!) I was wishing I had the Rambo's bow just in case.

One piece of kit I got here from one of the Americans I'm loving is my Wiley-X XL1 ballistic eyewear that has Transitions type lenses - no screwing around with lens changes. And they'll be great on my motorcycle when I get home.

We use to get issued a helmet liner for the vehicle crew helmets they looked like a skull cap

Tank Troll said:
Big Rambo knife and tomahawk ?
Yup!
Really? ::)
Uh huh. 
Wanna see em?

do you bring a compound bow and explosive tipped arrows for taking out bunkers like Rambo also or do you prefer a cross bow with oak shafts so they shatter better when they hit the sentries necks,

What are you, new?
oak shafts fall under protocol I of the Geneva conventions.
Article 35 clearly states that  weapons that cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering are banned.

::)
ObedientiaZelum said:
Yup!Uh huh. 
Wanna see em?

What are you, new?
oak shafts fall under protocol I of the Geneva conventions.
Article 35 clearly states that  weapons that cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering are banned.

Here I thought Call of Duty delusions of grandeur were only present in our younger generation of vidiots

Dkeh said:
Another thing I bring to the field is a helmet liner. If you are bald like me, they really start grinding on your scalp after 10 or so hours. I personally made my own, but I am sure they can buy them. Plus, in the winter, when you are stationary but wearing a helmet, they retain heat pretty bloody well.

I've seen some good ones being used in hockey helmets made by underarmor

Tank Troll said:
::)
Here I thought Call of Duty delusions of grandeur were only present in our younger generation of vidiots

Nope looks like it's rampant all over.  ANYONE who carries a knife larger than a gerber is basically a poser.
:warstory:

Robert0288 said:
I've seen some good ones being used in hockey helmets made by underarmor

These ones?
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/mens-ua-solid-skull-cap/pid1217949-001

I bought one a lil while ago,  works really well for keeping the sweat out of my eyes, etc as well as a buffer between the helmet suspension and my head.

Thats the one.  I've never had an issue with my helmet before.  But I might try it out under my toque or helmet during the winter.

Chocolate cover coffee beans... best "snack" in the field. Just saying, if you want your coffee fix.

On the subject of under armour, I always bring an under armour shirt, especially if there is going to be a lot of walking involved. Keeps you dry fairly well, and is a real lifesaver when the sun goes down and your sweat starts getting really chilly. 

Underarmour is great. Unless you are outside of the wire. But this is a topic about the field. Thanks Journeyman for the correction.  ;)

Macey said:
Underarmour is great. Unless you are outside of the wire. But this is a topic about training. Different ball game.
This is a topic about  What  to  Bring  to  the  Field.  It says so, right at the top of each post.  :nod:

A sense of humour. Seriously. It's the most important piece of kit you'll need.

And if you're a padre, this is important:

The British Army has a secret weapon in its armoury: Padres are now training with a crook and some even take it on operations
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150523/British-Armys-new-secret-weapon-Padres-training-crook-operations.html#ixzz1wBIPimVE

Macey said:
Underarmour is great. Unless you are outside of the wire. But this is a topic about the field. Thanks Journeyman for the correction.  ;)

Underarmour also sticks to you in an explosion or a fire. In fact, wearing underarmour with CADPAT is prohibited, as far as I know.

Back