• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

AgentSmith said:
You do realize the post you replied to is six years old and the person who made the post hasn't been around since 2007?
HEY! He gets to get a couple shots in at someone..okayy! It's easier when they don't write back.

(sarcasm)

Greetings everyone. I have a few questions regarding the proper form of push up.
I came across this video called Basic Up Reloaded Episode 2(link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerXj7zCCI8) and I noticed the recruit at 2:20 was not doing the most standard form of push up that was instructed in the training guide. More specifically, the recruit's elbows were pointing sideways as opposed to "using the toes as the pivot point" taught in the guide(link http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/fitnessresv_en.pdf).
I can do at least 40 push ups using the exact form the recruit in the video was using. But, I can barely do 15 using the most standard form which is not enough to pass the test.

So my questions are as follows:
1. Are the examiners ridiculously strict about the forms? Is the form that the recruit in video was using acceptable?
2. I hear that the examiners only count the maximum number of push ups/sit-ups within 1 minute.

Thank you very very much for clarifying this.

trolling_thunder said:
1. Are the examiners ridiculously strict about the forms? Is the form that the recruit in video was using acceptable?
2. I hear that the examiners only count the maximum number of push ups/sit-ups within 1 minute.

1.  Yes they are.  The form in the video (which I haven't seen as I am at work) may not be correct.  Was the recruit doing "punishment" push-ups vs. the actual test?  Most instructors aren't going to care how you do them.

2.  The situps are timed for one minute.  For the push ups, there is no time limit but you have to perform them continuously with no stopping or hesitating.

Search the forums, you'll find loads of advice and info in the Physical Training & Standards threads.

PMedMoe said:
1.  Yes they are.  The form in the video (which I haven't seen as I am at work) may not be correct.  Was the recruit doing "punishment" push-ups vs. the actual test?  Most instructors aren't going to care how you do them.

2.  The situps are timed for one minute.  For the push ups, there is no time limit but you have to perform them continuously with no stopping or hesitating.

Search the forums, you'll find loads of advice and info in the Physical Training & Standards threads.

Thank you for your response. and no madam, i'm pretty sure the recruit in the video was doing his physical fitness test at CFLRS. Also, there was an examiner right before him while he's doing the pushups.
I would really appreciate a solid response on this matter before I ask a recruiting officer.

Okay, just looking at the video now.  I see nothing wrong with his form.  Your elbows can be back or out, that's normally not an issue.

There's no need to ask about this at a RC.  When you do the test, you'll be instructed on how to do everything.

trolling_thunder said:
Greetings everyone. I have a few questions regarding the proper form of push up.
I came across this video called Basic Up Reloaded Episode 2(link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerXj7zCCI8) and I noticed the recruit at 2:20 was not doing the most standard form of push up that was instructed in the training guide. More specifically, the recruit's elbows were pointing sideways as opposed to "using the toes as the pivot point" taught in the guide(link http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/fitnessresv_en.pdf).
I can do at least 40 push ups using the exact form the recruit in the video was using. But, I can barely do 15 using the most standard form which is not enough to pass the test.

The toes are still the pivot point irregardless of whether or not your elbows are tucked in or flared out.

zipperhead_cop said:
So you were a drug trafficker before you were in the military?  Since those are the only people who generally get home invasions.  What was the outcome of the police investigation? 
Maybe that's why you are so good at smuggling your "ghost kit" for inspection?  What does a hooped shaving cream can feel like, anyway?

This was on the first page of the thread. I know it was a serious post, but good lord, was it funny. My first belly laugh of the day  :rofl:.

zipperhead_cop was replying to a drug dealer who somehow joined the Army. Then in his infinite brilliance, this drug dealing idiot goes  on an Army forum bragging about how well he hid his stash during trg  :facepalm:....

I really do think that he was hooping his stash, a hooped shaving cream can would certainly give him the perfect posture for standing at attention ;) . He also likely referred to his barracks as his "Cell Range" just to have "street cred" amongst his course-mates.

chris the merc said:
Look, I just want to rejoin you guys, okay?

Dang, he got hit with the Ban Hammer before I could say something to him and get a reply from him (or hope to anyways; he's likely too busy being the CO of his Call of Duty unit, which we all know counts as real military experience) .

In his case, as it's said on the internet "Obvious troll is obvious".

Now, I have done some searching, and do not feel like making a new thread, so I'll ask her for a straight answer: Are straight razors allowed? (no pun intended)

Would it make you an individual? Just buy what everyone else buys brother, you're applying to join the army now, not a barber shop.

EDIT: Thought FlyingDutchman had already received an offer. Then I read his profile  :-[

FlyingDutchman said:
Now, I have done some searching, and do not feel like making a new thread, so I'll ask her for a straight answer: Are straight razors allowed? (no pun intended)

Save yourself some grief, time and hassle and just use a regular razor. Once all your training is done, you can go back to your regular habits if you want.

My 0.02 Balboas

Once you've completed a certain amount of training and gained some credibility, you can allow some of your eccentricities to surface.  BMQ/BMOQ is NOT the place to express your individuality.  Play the game with the rest of the team.

Enemy said:
Dick tricks are a good way to help survive the monotony of course. The more people involved the marrier. Just don't let staff see you doing them and keep the tricks away from the females and anybody who looks like they might have easily hurt feelings.

Otherwise you'll end up getting charged by the brigade rsm who happened to be visiting, and explaining why you felt it was so important to give billybob the wristwatch during inspection.

Common sense, good manners and the wrath of of the moderators prevent me from saying what  I really think of you. Suffice it to say, if you were a member of MY UNIT I'd try very hard to  ensure you weren't after this escapade.  Grow up. :rage:

frank1515 said:
Would it make you an individual? Just buy what everyone else buys brother, you're applying to join the army now, not a barber shop.

EDIT: Thought FlyingDutchman had already received an offer. Then I read his profile  :-[
I don't have one, someone was asking me, and I told him I would find out.  The info you supplied was helpful.

Jim Seggie said:
Common sense, good manners and the wrath of of the moderators prevent me from saying what  I really think of you. Suffice it to say, if you were a member of MY UNIT I'd try very hard to  ensure you weren't after this escapade.  Grow up. :rage:

I did not expect to be taken seriously.

FlyingDutchman said:
I don't have one, someone was asking me, and I told him I would find out.  The info you supplied was helpful.

You're welcome (I think... Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not)

Just a helpful hint, the excuse that "my buddy ask me to ask Army.ca" holds little ground here, I've noticed. If you're going to use that line as a reply, might as well not post.

Yeah im not trying to poison any young minds here... I thought it would be good for a laugh, someone was offended, and down it came.

Back