• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

Bradboy said:
  Yah I'm with mystic. I'm only bringing one pair of really good running shoes. Spent $140.00 on them so they better last me for awhile. Also, are the beds we sleep on like cots or are they bunk beds?  :salute:

:cdn:
Their Beds... if you go to St. Jean.. If you go to Denison its Cots

tristismilitis......wow! That has to be the most concise answer to each question I asked. It seems like it is quite a good system implemented at Saint-Jean. I am going to drive from Ontario to see the country south of Montreal in a couple of weeks. I'm not counting on it, but I hope there are tours conducted on the base. Thank you very much for your help "tristismilitis". It is much appreciated.

I'm at BMQ right now...I would say: learn quickly, follow your orders, timings, chain of command, relax, be positive, stay max fit and know your environment.

wiking said:
I'm at BMQ right now...I would say: learn quickly, follow your orders, timings, chain of command, relax, be positive, stay max fit and know your environment.

Show up to your timings together..not individually.

To reiterate whats already been said for people still reading this.  It is all a big mind game we had one particular night inspection where the term "The Wolves" was eventually given to a few select staff. on this night inspection my room was busting our *** to get things done for what had to be the 3rd or 4th time being inspected, on our 4th inspection the standard for the beds was changed slightly and the beds were all torn apart. With a man short in our room (our room had the Course Senior and the CS was being torn a new one out in the hall at the time) we had 5 minutes to re-prepare all the beds, re-dust all the lockers/lights and double check for dust under our beds and berets by this point (M5 in Gagetown is the dust breeding capital of CFBG) we were almost done with the beds not 1:30 seconds later and a different Mcpl than the last inspection came back, I being the closest one to the door and seen him first called room dropped whatever happened to be in my hands into the middle of the room, this was the mind game telling us we had 5 minutes but changing timings to a point where it wasn't possible to meet them they continued to jack us up for another half hour while marking time on and off.  Had I not had this experience and a few others from basic and one particular rain gear incident my first range day at my unit I don't think i'd be even close to the half a soldier I am now. :salute:

Runnalls said:
Forgive me for asking if the question has already been posed, do they serve coffee with breakfast?

Ridiculous question, just wondering!

Thanks.

Yes but avoid it, its a diuretic and dries you out during drill.  I'm actually in BMQ for the reserves right now and learned to avoid coffee during drill, maybe a mouth full from BMA but not a full cup at breakfast you will not have enough time anyway.  I'm a cronic coffee drinking in civie life but learned quickly to avoid it during training

For those who don't know... BMA is "Between Meal Allowance"

Unless something has changed when I was in St Jean... the BMQ there does not serve BMA.

CAitch said:
I plan on joining the reserves, but I am a failure at push ups. Any suggestions to get myself ready for my fitness test during my BMQ?

If you are really weak at pushups then here is a list of exercises to help build up.

1. Wall Pushups - Standing arms length away from the wall. With your hands on the wall lean forward until your nose touches the wall and then push back up. Do this until you can do 3 sets of 50.

2. Incline pushups - Same as the wall pushups but on more of an angle. The max angle should be around 45 degrees. With your hands on a washing machine lower yourself and push yourself back up. Do this until you can do 3x40.

3. Knee pushups - Do a standard pushup but pivot on your knees instead of your feet. This will reduce the strength required. Do this until you can do 3x30

4. 1/2 Pushups - Do a standard pushup with a basketball under your chest. Lower yourself until you touch the basketball then backup. Do this until you can do 3x25

5. Full pushups - Finally. By now pushups should be pretty easy.

This information comes from convict conditioning. You can find more info on the book at dragondoor.com.
Ben

zander1976 said:
If you are really weak at pushups then here is a list of exercises to help build up.

1. Wall Pushups - Standing arms length away from the wall. With your hands on the wall lean forward until your nose touches the wall and then push back up. Do this until you can do 3 sets of 50.

2. Incline pushups - Same as the wall pushups but on more of an angle. The max angle should be around 45 degrees. With your hands on a washing machine lower yourself and push yourself back up. Do this until you can do 3x40.

3. Knee pushups - Do a standard pushup but pivot on your knees instead of your feet. This will reduce the strength required. Do this until you can do 3x30

4. 1/2 Pushups - Do a standard pushup with a basketball under your chest. Lower yourself until you touch the basketball then backup. Do this until you can do 3x25

5. Full pushups - Finally. By now pushups should be pretty easy.

This information comes from convict conditioning. You can find more info on the book at dragondoor.com.
Ben

Great tip, Thanks everyone for the input, I spent few hours reading every single message, lot of info and helpful

Advice to all newbies like me, use the search tool, read and keep reading and read some more, I bet majority of your questions  to say the least has been asked before and answered in this site, try different words and voila!

After reading this thread I can conclude, don't lie to yourself and do what you are told, when you are told and how you are told and you will be successfull
:nod:

rdtul said:
Before I went to basic (just over a year ago) a really good friend who's a retired captain told me "Don't ever forget it's a game."
Basic training gives you the most rudimentary skills, and teaches you to maximize your ability to operate under an enduring, moderate level of stress.
Make friends, work your butt off to be as good as you can, and when you're done the game will start to make sense.

Good Luck

I like this.

I finished the BMQ from Borden on Dec.16/10.

Regarding the ghost kit: Eveyone had a personals box for the bottom drawer that most of us kept some items of ghost kit in. Shave cream, shower gel, things like that. I put a new razor head in my razor just before inspection time, and it was good to go. People are stressing over this ghost kit, everyone does it. It's known and expected. The instructors have been there before. They have seen everything.

This is not meant to cut corners at all...but rather to save time on one detail so that you can spend a little more time on another detail. Like folding your shirts or polishing your boots. It's all about priorities in my opinion.

Do as your told, DO NOT ROLL YOUR EYES!!!!! Enjoy recruit school for what it is....an experience of a lifetime!!! I had a TON of fun...lol ;D

I don't want to hijack this thread but I had a question I haven't been able to find an answer for. While at BMQ I understand that your pay will be directly deposited into your account, however, I was wondering how exactly you are supposed to go about paying your bills while at BMQ since I'm assuming that you will not have internet access. Although I am leaving my car in Toronto, I will still be paying insurance/payments on the car while away. Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried searching but all I could find were links about BMQ pay/food/rations.

Back