• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

Enemy said:
Yeah im not trying to poison any young minds here... I thought it would be good for a laugh, someone was offended, and down it came.

If you want a laugh, post a joke in Radio Chatter.  As far as someone being offended, that's not necessarily the case.  This thread is to give people some info on how to get through BMQ, not to joke around.  Potential and/or new recruits do take things seriously.  And some cannot separate the wheat from the chaff.

Enemy said:
I did not expect to be taken seriously.

Well I am a mod here and am equally not amused as Mr Seggie. Welcome to the site , consider this your one and only freebie. the next time you hit post prior to engaging brain will see you introduced to our lovely warning system.

frank1515 said:
You're welcome (I think... Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not)

Just a helpful hint, the excuse that "my buddy ask me to ask Army.ca" holds little ground here, I've noticed. If you're going to use that line as a reply, might as well not post.
No sarcasm, straight razors give me the heebie jeebies.

Methinks Enemy gor caught pulling his goalie in front of the staff or something. Pretty intimate knowledge for someone who was joking...Kind of like when someone posts, 'Hey guys, I have this friend...'

Is it as bad as they made it seem in Basic Up series on Youtube?  Also, how does a 100lb woman carry a 180-250lb man on her shoulders for the fireman lift?  Will he not crush her?  That to me seems scarier than the 13 km march.

curious george said:
Is it as bad as they made it seem in Basic Up series on Youtube?  Also, how does a 100lb woman carry a 180-250lb man on her shoulders for the fireman lift?  Will he not crush her?  That to me seems scarier than the 13 km march.

You're usually paired with someone close in height and weight to you.

Fireman's carry is gone now. It's a casualty drag and a trench dig.

Regards

I have done 4 BFT's (the 13km march) in the last year and I'm no super hero. The BFT is done by everyone in the Army, every year and passed by everyone who goes through BMQ/BMOQ. A few people on my BMOQ had a hard go with it but if you have even an average degree of fitness, you will have no problems with the BFT. In my current Battery of 70 soldiers, it is quite normal for all of them to complete the BFT well under the 2 hour mark.

If you are worried about it, the best thing you can do before attending BMQ/BMOQ is to get yourself used to walking around with a light load on your back. You can do this without even setting aside specific time for training. Get off the bus one stop further away, don't drive to work/ school, take your dog out for a longer walk each day, etc.

Best of luck!

Hello,

Does this mean that the fireman's carry has been totally eliminated from the BFT (both during basic training and later when one is posted to a unit)?

I am a really small built guy, that is why I've been working doubly hard in preparation for BMOQ. My aim is to be able to squat double my weight before leaving for St. Jean. I have been doing free weight squats in preparation for the fireman's carry. I think even if this portion has been eliminated, I will continue the way I'm training. No harm in showing up well prepared.

Cheers,

AGB.

PS - For anyone who is also preparing for basic training, I think a weighted vest is a worth while investment. Mine a 40 pound one from Go-Fit.

"Does this mean that the fireman's carry has been totally eliminated from the BFT (both during basic training and later when one is posted to a unit)?"

Topic: "Fireman carry replaced in BFT":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/92341.100

( 5 pages )

It's only as bad as (a) you want it to be, and (b) how out of shape you are.  Did my last one cold - no training prior - and was a little sore and tight, but did it in 2:10.

MM

I do fireman carry almost weekly. They pair you by height and not by weight. It may not be done anymore in BMOQ but depending on your unit, they make you do it during PTs.

chase429 said:
I do fireman carry almost weekly. They pair you by height and not by weight. It may not be done anymore in BMOQ but depending on your unit, they make you do it during PTs.

Unit PT is not the BFT. The fireman's carry is no longer part of the BFT and shouldn't be done during the same.
What you do for PT is up to the unit.
What they do on the BFT is defined by higher.

For the OP, this is about all you need here on your BFT questions. If you need to know more, do a SEARCH like everyone else. There's lot's of info here already on this subject.

Milnet.ca Staff

I don't see the big deal on the ghost kit, you have so much crap to do for inspection that not using a soap dish, toothbrush, razor and shaving cream are only 4 little things.  If you cut those corners with the ghost kit it is not going to make your bed that much better or your shoes shine that much nicer or your creases in your shirts that much sharper. 

Most instructors know people have them.

I hated cleaning my hair brush in basic and having to pick out all those long hairs so yes I had a GHOST hairbrush in my personal box.  It was not hidden and if and when they looked, I said yes I have 2 hair brushes and that was the end of it.  I did not throw it out or hide it somewhere else.  I did clean it, but not the 100% of what an inspection hair brush would look like. I suppose if I'd had 100 gross linty hairs in it they might have said WTF but it was clean.  Also I had an extra toothpaste and shaving cream can and razor.  Again it was not hidden and I did not lie when it was found in my personal box.

I think if you LIE about it your really in crap, point is don't lie and go out of your way to hide it because then it looks like your out to deceive them.  If it's found deal with it and move on.  If they say get rid of the so called ghost kit then get rid of it.

Hygiene is one of the reasons instructors hammer down on ghost kits.

Hygiene is vital, especially in a closed environment like 8 people living in a room the size of ones bedroom 'back home'.  Hygiene is also easily overlooked. Many people try to cut corners by not brushing their teeth. Not washing (yea it happens, a lot).  Inspecting a recruits wash kit teaches the normal make sure everything is the same, make sure everything is neat but it also indicates when a student isn't brushing their teeth or using soap in the morning.

And it always happens.
"Did you brush your teeth this morning? Yea? so why is your tooth brush dry".

ObedientiaZelum said:
Inspecting a recruits wash kit teaches the normal make sure everything is the same, make sure everything is neat but it also indicates when a student isn't brushing their teeth or using soap in the morning.

And it always happens.
"Did you brush your teeth this morning? Yea? so why is your tooth brush dry".

I usually had the real answer to if the Recruit brushed their teeth by the *aroma* of the air coming at me when they replied to the questions.  If they said yes and their breath smelled like they'd brushed and gargled with a cow-patty and sewer water, that was brought to their attention, and with the proper motiviation  ;D the recruit overcame this deficiency.

Same as washing;  it was pretty easy to pick out the stink-bags when standing in their bedspace or inspecting their personal dress.  If anyone thinks they are hiding or can hide the fact their personal hygiene is 'below standard', they're not and they can't for long.  After a few days, the stink-bags usually begin getting encouragement from coursemates to get with the program. 

Back