• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What level math is needed for a mar eng mech

asstastic1

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been to the recruiting centre and enquired about becoming a mar eng mech and no one can tell me what level of  math is needed (collage or university)
the only thing that was said is a high level of math and phsyics and that was it
I don't plan on going to the marine institute for collage.
Also what type of math is used as a mar eng mech

I'm surprised if it doesn't say on the website but having been a stoker (MAR ENG for the uneducated) for almost 29 years....I believe it may still be Grade 10(the old 'advanced' level). That said, any HS graduate level will give you 'more than enough' background for your taskings. There is absolutely no requirement within the trade AT THIS TIME for university/college level math. Again, that said, the METTP program is a 2-year Mechanical Engineering Technologist program which would include alot of math and physics.
You will find that it depends what you take on. Definitely, later in your career as an EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch) which is soon dropping to the MS rank, you will want to have a grasp on this stuff for stability purposes. Though not your exact job, having a clear understanding will help you understand why you are doing some of the things you are doing.
Hope this helps but I am sure if you search the Recruiting website, there will be something there. I assume you went here:
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/marineengineeringmechanic-31#video-0

I also just applied for this trade, just passed my CFAT a few days ago and now im just playing  the waiting game till the call come for my next few interviews. i have a OSSD (Ontario secondary school diploma) and took only grade 12 math. And as far as i know i qualified with just that.
I think the only prerequisite is your High School Diploma and to pass the CFAT. (and obviously all your other tests)

Good Luck.

Back