• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happens to fighter pilots' brains at high altitudes , BBC News

One thing for sure is, the pilots featured on Jetstream held Engineering degrees (7 out of 8).  You can spot the iron ring on their pinky, so that was a dead give-away.

I guess it would make sense too, university engineering training would give you the significant stamina to absorb shit-loads material.  Stamina (not intelligence) being the keyword.  And I guess in terms of the 'technical' material a CF18 pilot would be studying, would most likely resemble engineering-style subjects.

xtreme said:
One thing for sure is, the pilots featured on Jetstream held Engineering degrees (7 out of 8).  You can spot the iron ring on their pinky, so that was a dead give-away.

I guess it would make sense too, university engineering training would give you the significant stamina to absorb shit-loads material.  Stamina (not intelligence) being the keyword.  And I guess in terms of the 'technical' material a CF18 pilot would be studying, would most likely resemble engineering-style subjects.

On my Hornet OTU, we are 4 guys that have engineering background out of 10.  2 guys have arts degrees, 2 have aviation degrees and 2 have physics degrees (1 has a master). 

We are all doing pretty good and I don't see how my engineering degree helps me.  THere is some "technical" stuff, but it's nothing outside the grasp of an arts-man.  Nothing you would need an engineering degree to understand.  I don't find it "resemble" engineering-style subjects.  In the end, the meat and  potatoes is how to kill.  This isn't done in the books, but by flying.

Well, since you've done/doing Fighter Training - it would be hard for me to argue with that.  Unless of course, you are one of the few BS'ers on this site.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

4 out of 10 is still 40%.  Which implies that the majority are still Engineers.  It is the stamina developed through Engineering that we take granted for.  The study-skills, time-management, learning how to read technical literature, drawings etc.  You've learned - how to learn.  On top of that, you've learned - how to learn technical subjects. 

I find it hard to believe that studying how to fly the Hornet and all the technical details about the jet,  tactical fighting lack any technical content.  Last book I picked up on tactical air-to-air combat written by veteran U.S. fighter pilots talk plenty about physics.  Especially, the Conservation of Energy.

I'm not surprised that Physicists are in your program.  I expect them to be.  If anybody understands g-forces, centripetal acceleration/velocity, g-forces, potential/kinetic energy, angles, trignometry (required for interception) etc - it would be the physicists.

As for the arts students.  My assumption would be, those with art degrees that gained entry must have sufficiently high aptitude/IQ/learning ability in general that make up for their lack of technical training.  i.e.extremely fast learners.  Perhaps even faster than the Engineers and Physicists.

Anyways, I'm not arguing with you.  I just want you to appreciate your own education!  :)

xtreme said:
Unless of course, you are one of the few BS'ers on this site.

He is not.

On top of that, you've learned - how to learn technical subjects. 

I do not have a university degree in engineering but, although not the pilot, i assure you i have a solid understanding of my machine, its systems and how to fight with it. I'm pretty sure i understand "technical" things. I'm also sure that all the flight engineers i fly with (none of them with engineering degrees) understand "technical" things.

Last book I picked up

You have a book, Supersonicmax has............

xtreme said:
Well, since you've done/doing Fighter Training - it would be hard for me to argue with that.  Unless of course, you are one of the few BS'ers on this site.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think I have to prove myself to you.  I couldn't care less if you don't believe my profile, it won't make a difference when I'm flying over the blue water of Key West tomorrow morning and afternoon.

xtreme said:
4 out of 10 is still 40%.  Which implies that the majority are still Engineers.  It is the stamina developed through Engineering that we take granted for.  The study-skills, time-management, learning how to read technical literature, drawings etc.  You've learned - how to learn.  On top of that, you've learned - how to learn technical subjects. 

40% is a minority in my books.  It's more than any other programs, however, it is still a minority.

By this point in pilot training, everybody has the motivation, stamina and learning habits squared away.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.  I don't think engineering gave me the stamina and learning habits, but I believe it's a personally trait:  we are all perfectionists and people that like to do well, in everything we do. 

xtreme said:
I find it hard to believe that studying how to fly the Hornet and all the technical details about the jet,  tactical fighting lack any technical content.  Last book I picked up on tactical air-to-air combat written by veteran U.S. fighter pilots talk plenty about physics.  Especially, the Conservation of Energy.

The "technical" details of the jet is, while important, a very very small part of the course.  The tactical aspect is what is hard.  And again, the concepts you need to understand in order to be efficient in the tactical aspect are very, very simple.  Nothing at the engineering level.  You are paid to fly the airplane, not to design it.  Test pilots/engineers are paid to test and design new kit. 

The book you read, I assume, is Fighter Combat: Tactics and Manoeuvring by Robert L. Shaw.  I have a copy at home and read it.  It's WAY too technical to be useful for a pilot.  I have no time in the cockpit to asses how my L/D is doing and what my exact turn rate is.  I need simple cues to tell me about my energy and the bandits energy and how to turn my jet to either regain energy or threaten/kill him.  Things like AOA, airspeed, Line of Sight, "feel".  Luckily, the jet is made in a such way that it is easy to get those things.

I personally am a geek.  I like to get deep into things, so to speak.  I like to understand the very minute details of everything.  Break it down, calculate it, etc.  That is just me.  Lots of people are extremely talented fighter pilots and wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how your thrust has an influence on your turn rate.

An other thing, the book is purely for visual manoeuvring.  While an important skill set to have, tactics are much more than that.

xtreme said:
I'm not surprised that Physicists are in your program.  I expect them to be.  If anybody understands g-forces, centripetal acceleration/velocity, g-forces, potential/kinetic energy, angles, trignometry (required for interception) etc - it would be the physicists.

Again, you are thinking that you need all this for flying.  You don't have TIME or BRAIN CELLS when you are flying to think about all this.  You have simple cues, rules of thumbs, (that are explained to you and are NOT rocket science) to make things happen.  Engineering is all about theoretical material.  Flying is very much practical.  I have NEVER used trigonometry directly in an intercepts.  I have rules of thumbs that are derived from trigonometry, but I did not design them.  For example, turn X seconds, Y degrees from the bandits heading for each Z degrees of aspect angle.  You have to dumb it down.  You are not sitting at 1G, 0 kts doing this, you are closing at close to 2 times the speed of sound. 

xtreme said:
As for the arts students.  My assumption would be, those with art degrees that gained entry must have sufficiently high aptitude/IQ/learning ability in general that make up for their lack of technical training.  i.e.extremely fast learners.  Perhaps even faster than the Engineers and Physicists.

Dude, you sound like an elitist.  Fighter pilots, not too long ago, used to be high school graduates that thought it would be cool to fly fast and shoot shit.  Most of them are extremely talented.  It has nothing to do with IQ.  It has a lot to do with attitude and motivation.

xtreme said:
Anyways, I'm not arguing with you.  I just want you to appreciate your own education!  :)

I appreciate my own education thank you.  It may have helped me during the ground school portion a little bit.  As I said, I like to put numbers to everything.  However, in flight, it hasn't helped me a slightest bit. 

Back