• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happened to all our Hornets?

kermit98

Inactive
Reaction score
I know we've only got 77 operational CF-18s left but, aside from the ground-instruction units, the gate guards and museum pieces, what happened to the rest of them?  Are they stored down in Arizona, or does Canada actually have a bone yard?  Are any of them in flyable storage?

wouldn't a boneyard for Hornets be called a "Hornet Nest"?  :)

Here's a pretty interesting website on "Where's tail number X now?". 

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/post_int.html

Zoomie said:
FWIW - our "boneyard" is Mountainview.

For aircraft that fit Mountainview. The CP-140A Arcturus, for example, were sent to AMARG.

Thanks for the replies.  That's a very useful link Occam, thanks.  We definitely lost a lot of planes due to accidents, but we did mothball an awful lot too.  I hope we at least got all the useful hours out of the airframes.

cypres78 said:
Couple of gutted ones in Trenton on the North side...

Assuming you mean the ATESS ones which are used for non destructive testing??

Out of my lane here, but don't Hornets die after they stung? :)

Since many of them "stung" in the Balkans, the Gulf war and Lybia - that would explain their disappearance.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Since many of them "stung" in the Balkans, the Gulf war and Lybia - that would explain their disappearance.

Some of the Hornets that stung in Libya were stinging other targets over the last couple of weeks - so they didn't really disappear. :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:

OGBD, bees die because the stinger rips from their thorax, but wasps and hornets retain their stinger and can live to sting another day.

soooo......never name a fighter after a bee?    :)

Good2Golf said:
Ding, ding, ding!  ;)

Here is a link listing CF-188's that were lost /damaged.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/CF-18/cf_18_hornet.htm

If anyone is interested here is a link that has worldwide crashes by year.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/PROJECT/year_table.htm

As I remember, they are either being based at CFB Cold Lake or CFB Bagotville, with rotating deployments to various bases such as CFB Comox, with two being stored there.

Virtuoso said:
As I remember, they are either being based at CFB Cold Lake or CFB Bagotville, with rotating deployments to various bases such as CFB Comox, with two being stored there.

There aren't any permanently-deployed Hornets to Comox.  They show up frequently, but not permanently.

Dimsum said:
There aren't any permanently-deployed Hornets to Comox.  They show up frequently, but not permanently.

Aren't there a permanent presence of CF-18s on there on a rotating basis, though, despite that they might not be from the same permanent bases?

CDN Aviator said:
No.

There are no Hornets stored there either.

Interesting... last day I saw a couple flying above my house in that direction...

Virtuoso said:
Interesting... last day I saw a couple flying above my house in that direction...

There are no Hornets residing full-time (rotational basis or not) at 19 Wing Comox. Regular detachments to that location do occur.

Back