• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does your name mean?

Best posting I ever had, in the 60's single and the second time in the 80's married.
I think most who spent time in Baden have great memories of the place.
Combat camera provided the photo.

Kin - used to live in Kingston ON
canucks - long time fan of the Vancouver Canucks.

Dolphins are worn by Submariners all over the world as a symbol of being a fully qualified Submariner.  AES Ops sometimes hunt Submarines (although I am a NUB <--- USN Submariner term, and have yet to hunt for anything)

From Cape Breton - (Cape Ape is a mainland term of endearment) Sometimes  ::)

Forlorn hope is a military term that comes from the Dutch verloren hoop, which should be translated as "lost troop".The Dutch word hoop (in its sense of troop in English).
In the days of muzzle-loading muskets it was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege. It was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or wounded. The intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.
A forlorn hope was typically led by a junior officer with hopes of personal advancement. If he survived, and performed courageously, he was almost guaranteed both a promotion and a long-term boost to his career prospects. As a result, despite the risks, there was often competition for the opportunity to lead the assault.

.....I am still looking for my "Forlorn Hope" or at least get credit for past ones........ ::)

OldSolduer

Because I am old
Solduer?

Hit the u instead of the i when I registered. As you can tell I'm no typist.

Wonderbread said:
It's been said that I'd be likely to eat white Wonderbread in a trailerpark - as opposed to whole wheat bread from Gino's bakery like a goot Italian boy would eat.

What kinda Italian goes to an Italian bakery and eats WHOLE WHEAT?  I never saw a single loaf of whole wheat bread in three weeks visiting relatives in a city of ~30,000 in central Italy last month - I can see why some question yer Italian-ness!  ;D

As for me, I read MILitary NEWS in Thunder BAY.

ironduke57? Ironduke come´s from an important Space Battleship from the World´s largest SF series "Perry Rhodan". (Every week an new issue since the 60´s!This week issue 2441 will be out.) (My ava shows also an human Ship out of this series.)

57 come´s from my first EMail address at Hotmail, because there where 56 other people who wanted ironduke@hotmail.com.

Regards,
ironduke57

I got my name cooking bagels in one of those conveyer belt machines, it got stuck in there, and instead of unplugging it i tried digging it out and it  kinda broke apart and fell through the cracks and went onto the hot orange heating things, caught on fire and this black greyish cloud of smoke went in my face and I stunk like burnt toast all day,  This was in cadets mind you, borden... so it stuck with me for a while,

originally smokey but I chopped it down a bit.

smoke said:
I got my name cooking bagels in one of those conveyer belt machines, it got stuck in there, and instead of unplugging it i tried digging it out and it  kinda broke apart and fell through the cracks and went onto the hot orange heating things, caught on fire and this black greyish cloud of smoke went in my face and I stunk like burnt toast all day,   This was in cadets mind you, borden... so it stuck with me for a while,

originally smokey but I chopped it down a bit.

Lol

My nickname comes from playing online games. King = the top guy, and yyz = Toronto (airport code). Loosely translated to be "the best in Toronto". Couldn't think of anything else so I used it when I signed up here as well.

From an excellent series of Canadian books called "The Bandy Papers".  Comprised of several books by Donald Jack, "the Bandy Papers" relate the exploits of Lieutenant (Acting Major General) Bartholomew Bandy, DSO, MC, DFC.  Bandy, who started his war service in the CEF, was subsequently transferred the RFC and then a bicycle battalion.  He is the quintessential anti-hero.  He is ugly (he looks like a horse), stupid, vain, and cowardly.  Basically, a lot like me.

Bart

Bern - Half of my first name and Dawg cause, believe it or not, I was the oldest guy in my sect so BernDawg has stuck with me for a few years now. I can't forget to mention that I should thank Tee-Dub for the N-name too.  ;)

Back