• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does being a sapper and Shakespeare's Henry the 5th have in common?

13C

Inactive
Reaction score
Its all very simple and I think that after you read this post it will all make sense to the reader:

This day is calld the feast of Crispian.

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home, Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age, Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember, with advantages, What feats he did that day.

Then shall our names, Familiar in his mouth as household words-Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition; Make him a member of the gentry, even if he is a commoner.

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, And hold their tongues and manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Before the Battle of Agincourt, 25 October 1415 Shakespeare Henry V, Act 4, Scene 3

Notwithstanding Agincourt being a Light Infantry victory (the obstacle plan was put in place by the weather gods, whose rain bogged down the French cavalry in the canalizing ground).....you sappers can share the honour. After all, we're part of the same Band of Brothers.  ;)

Today marks 602 years since the battle of Agincourt.

(And 163 years since the Charge of the Light Brigade).

Back