• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Does Artillery Do When Not In Training Or Deployed?

Brandan789

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm preparing for my interview, and I've scoured the forums and found the majority of my questions answered. I even found this document, http://www.11rca.ca/web_pdf/prep.pdf  and filled it out extensively. I'm fairly confident, and I have plenty of time to continue preparing.

One thing that was recommended to me, was to know the daily duties for the trades I am applying for. I understand that some times we may not be doing the same thing day-in day-out. My recruiter told me that sometimes the combat arms are used to assist with crisis' such as forest fires and avalanche clearing.

My question is as the subject, if one is not training, deployed or assigned something such as a crisis scenario what does the artillery soldier do?

If my question is too vague, I'll try to clarify it more. Thank you.

Sit around, busywork, sweeping, pt, shovel snow in the winter, sit around some more, death by powerpoint, parades, work on vehicles and wait to get dismissed

opp550 said:
Sit around, busywork, sweeping, pt, shovel snow in the winter, sit around some more, death by powerpoint, parades, work on vehicles and wait to get dismissed

Applies to more trades than just artillery.

Teager said:

Yes but artillery sweeping involves the important step of moving the m777s too

Teager said:

Do they still call it General Duties?

Some gunners also do avalanche control, firing into snow caps to bring down snow in a controlled manner.

dapaterson said:
Some gunners also do avalanche control, firing into snow caps to bring down snow in a controlled manner.

Maybe they could do the same for Ivory Towers?

Here's a bit more on avalanche control (typically this is done only by the Regiment in Shilo, 1 RCHA, with augmentation from Reserve units in Western Canada)
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-canada-north-america-recurring/op-palaci.page

Something to be aware of, in regards to the artillery trade, is that after initial training, on the M777, you'll go into one of four "streams":
Gun line - working on M777, but possibly also in reconnaissance, and/or command post
Observation Post - working in an OP Party, at the "pointy end", working with the other combat arms in providing fire support (calling and adjusting fire, among other tasks)
Surveillance and Target Acquisition - they operate sensors, radar, UAV, and sound ranging; for the artillery their main purpose is to locate enemy indirect fire assets, but they're integrated into part of the ground forces overall means to gather intelligence on what is happening in their area of operations
Air Defence - right now primarily just involved with detecting air threats, and air space clearance and coordination, but some operate UAV's as well. At some point they're supposed to get some kind of act, or shoot, capability

Some cross training can occur between streams, but regardless which one you get into you'll seem to have to go on an endless number of courses. So when not deployed (domestically or internationally), training within the unit, or taking unit run courses, you'll be away from the unit on course.

There are going to be idle times, and besides trying to wear down a broom, you'll discover it is also a time when many "good idea ferries" spring to life, so even the mundane can quickly become the WTF are we doing, and like mentioned already, this is not unique to the artillery

Back