• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What do you like about your trade?

Goober

Inactive
Reaction score
This question could go into the recruiting section, but I figured maybe some of the answers would be best off in this forum.

What do you like about being a gunner?

I'm asking this because I received my call today from the CFRC and got a job offer for Artillery (Field). I don't know anything about this trade, other than what I read on the dnd site, and I selected it as my 3rd choice because I thought maybe my background in computers/math/physics might be of some use in this field, but I have no idea. I didn't really expect to be offered this position, but I'm not disappointed by no means, I just want to hear what all you guys and gals who are firing these guns like about it. What are the pros? And what are in your opinion, the cons?

Thanks, I look forward to the replies :)  :salute:

Being in the Artillery now for 11 yrs, I can attest that there is allot of good in the Artillery and some bad. I love where I am right now as a Fire Effects Technician (the new big word for Forward Observation Officers Technician). I have been in th OP's for going on 8 years now and am not looking at going anywhere near the guns anytime soon. In the OP's, you on the front line with the Infantry, Armoured, or by yourself on an OP. It is just your crew (between 3 and 5 people) and yourself. You get to see all of the action up close and personal. You get to watch all of the section attacks going in, you get to watch the armoured in the firebase open up on a target, you get to watch artillery and fast air destroy your target. You also get trained on all of the new high speed gear that the army has to offer (new vehicles, new dismounted gear etc). And if your lucky, you can get attached to another nation to do cross training.

As for the bad ....... the biggest thing is that you don't have a real job when you retire. There is not much call for an Artilleryman on civvie street.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

:salute: :cdn:

The smell of cordite first thing in the morning.

Regimental shake n' bake on a hillside

Continuous Fire

Not enough ammo

As for civvy street, recce techs as surveyers

Thanks for your answers guys! I'm not too worried about civvie street stuff after I retire, I have a network admin diploma and some Microsoft certs and stuff, I'll probably just dust them off, upgrade etc..

I'm starting to get pretty excited about joining after waiting so long. (since april 04)

If anyone else comes along, post, tell me what you like.  :salute:

Hey Goober,

Good things:

-Pulling the lanyard
-Charge 7 (you'll learn)
-sleeping in the Gun Tractors
-knowing your Det is the best
-being adjusting gun
-stand easy

Not so good things:

-being Gun numbers 4-6
-fire missions at 3am when its just started pouring rain