• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What do you get issued at BMQ?

B

belka

I'm heading out to St.Jean next week and I don't really want to bring anything extra. Can anyone tell me what I will get issued when I get there? Shirts, Shorts, Boots etc..

Thanks.  ;)

Everything military you will get issued, combats, boots, DEUs, beret, helmet, etc.

You should get issued everything before you go anywheres. Are you REG. or RES.?? i got issused everything a few weeks before BMQ, and on BMQ i got nothing, including no sleep..lol.

He said St Jean, which means he's probably reg and he'll get everything within a few days after he arrives at the Mega.

Forgot to add something for you Jutes, bring a good pair of running shoes, preferably 2 pairs, one for indoor, one for outdoor. A pocket knife is nice to have for when you're in the field. You're issued everything including towels and face clothes so don't bother with bringing them. Someone who's been through basic recently can confirm the towel issue, we got them when I went through 5 years ago. Other than that, bring what's on the kit list and you should be fine, and also a pair of civvies including a coat and shoes. Have fun man.

Cheers

Somebody told me that we  are not supposed to bring pocket knife

I did it with the reserves but I found that a couple little extra things will help you along the way.
Runing shoes, get a good pair from a store that knows their stuff, like the Running Room.
Insoles, your boots don't come with any really, so get 2 good pairs.  Spend the money, itll save your feet.
Bungi chords if you can, easier to set up a hooch.
2 toothpaste, shaving cream, toothbrush, razor (for inspection, put out the clena stuff and the dirty stuff you use somehwere else)
I brought a camel back, but in the regs I don't know if youll get away with it or not.
Don't worry about towels, youll get them.
Mighit wanna bring some envelopes and stamps incase you wanna mail some letters

You'll get everythign you need issued at St. Jean but as you go along im sure youll find some things extra you might want to add.
Im sure tha tif you check the FAQ in teh recruiting youll find some discussions on what to bring.

Have fun doing show parades :p

I just bought a pair of running shoes at the running room yesterday. That place is awesome! They will look at your feet and give you an assessment of what the best shoe is for you to run in. It helps a lot to because I went for a run right after I got them and noticed a significant difference in my running.

What kind of insoles should I buy? I hear those Dr. Shoal's "gellin" ones are pretty decent. And how much does a pair of one of those cost?

yo big wig man, these guys giving you advice on what to bring are Res i am pretty sure, from what i hear from REG guys, and both me and wig are REG, knives, aspirin, contraband, bungi cords and all that crap are not to be brought.... get the main gear on your list and CALL the cfrc guy who called you and ask him, they urge that for a reason man.... dont bring shit where you set a bad example right off the bat... like a knife...after the first 4 weeks and u know what is happening you can go out on the weekends in to town so you can buy wutever you need that is allowed... dont stress it, just call your CFRC they would know.

sorry if i have offended any RES guys just things sound different and ppl sound unsure about the RES and REG comparison and even me not knowing i am staying neutral and taking what they expect me to take...

I dont think anyone will care if you bring a few bungi coards and aspirin.

And from what I heard why bring bungi coards because you never really "sleep" in your hooch, I had some adivce just to lay on the ground and use your ruck for a back support/pillow. (unless its raining) because you're forever bugging out of your site.

You should be careful even bringing aspirin.  To my knowledge even things like aspirin, sudafed, cold remedies are contraband.  Contact your recruiter for more info.

Maverick said:
yo big wig man, these guys giving you advice on what to bring are Res i am pretty sure, from what i hear from REG guys, and both me and wig are REG, knives, aspirin, contraband, bungi cords and all that crap are not to be brought.... get the main gear on your list and CALL the cfrc guy who called you and ask him, they urge that for a reason man.... dont bring shit where you set a bad example right off the bat... like a knife...after the first 4 weeks and u know what is happening you can go out on the weekends in to town so you can buy wutever you need that is allowed... dont stress it, just call your CFRC they would know.

sorry if i have offended any RES guys just things sound different and ppl sound unsure about the RES and REG comparison and even me not knowing i am staying neutral and taking what they expect me to take...

Dude, did you read anyone's profiles before making this comment? You haven't even been sworn in let alone been to St Jean so I don't see how you're qualified to say what you can and can't have there. Anything you can't have, they'll confiscate.  If they confiscate it, they'll give it back when you can have it (unless it's illegal).  Most of that stuff, ie. bungee cords and knives may have to stay in civvie lockup or with your DS until you go to the field. I would suggest not bringing any meds with you, anything you need you can get from the MIR. One more note, you only get to go into town if no one has pulled any boners, they don't have to let you out.

Cheers

i dont know what your talking about man, i stayed pretty much neutral and i may just be getting sworn in but i know a lot about the whole entry process and have talked with recruiters on numerous occasions stating the questions that have been asked in this thread so i would say im a damn expert on what to bring and as i see it and ushould to at the top RES guys always ending there answers with "i'm RES so i dont know if that applies to REG" so that really doesnt answer his question now does it. so relax.

Look, I'm not going to get in a pissing match here with you, I was simply bothered by your "these guys giving advice....are Res" considering you're debunking my Reg force experience in St Jean and my advice. One more thing, talking to the recruiters in one recruiting centre doesn't make you an expert on anything, you think those guys get feedback after guys get sworn in and get on the bus to St Jean?

You'll go to the MIR on one of your first couple days, if not then ask your DS, anything you take has to be cleared with the Medical Officer (MO). It shouldn't be a problem, they'll probably give you more of that stuff so don't buy a whole 2 months worth. I know I went one time with a cold, as aircrew we can't fly with a cold and we have to be grounded by the Flight Surgeon, they gave me a ton of Sudafed, I still have a box or two kicking around.

Cheers

What kind of insoles should I buy? I hear those Dr. Shoal's "gellin" ones are pretty decent. And how much does a pair of one of those cost?

I don't remember the price, but I was swayed in by the commercials, and decided that I, too, should be "gellin'". Maybe it's just personal preference, but I don't like them. The fronts fold/bend easily, causing the back to slide around in the boot, which makes it uncomfortable, and usually requires taking off the boot to fix.. I'm still looking for the perfect 'wonder' insole.

As for the Reactine/Claritin, I'll only Second what Inch said. When you go to the MIR, they will give it to you for free.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm gona bring two towels anyways because it says so in the Kit they give me. My travel bag is big enough, so I still have room to spare.

8)

I don't want to start a new thread just for that question.  Can I buy everything at the St-Jean?  The officer at the recruit center gave us a list of what we need to buy but she was not 100% clear on if everything can be baught at st-jean or just stuff like locks or boot shining kits.

There's a Canex in the Mega that you can get most stuff at like boot polishing stuff, hangers, locks, etc. It's kinda like a corner store, with more military related stuff like boot bands and stuff like that plus all the normal stuff, pop, snacks, etc.  You might be further ahead if you have a Dudley lock or 2 before hand, that way you can memorize the combos. It's just one thing less to worry about there.

Cheers

Back