• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What CAN Armour Troops are Up to in AFG

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Afghans, Canadians conduct security operation
Corporal Rémi Veillette, D Squadron, 12e Régiment blindé du Canada, CF article, 29 Oct 08
Article link

Restricting insurgent movement in western Kandahar Province was the goal of a recent operation by D Squadron, 12e Régiment blindé du Canada.

With early August temperatures reaching 55ºC, D Squadron, operated in conjunction with the Afghan National Army. They were reinforced with tanks, infantry, engineers, reconnaissance and a resupply echelon.

The early morning operation began with a move to the designated area. Once in place, Reconnaissance Squadron established observation posts while the tanks assumed a leaguer formation to prevent insurgent movement.

The infantry and reconnaissance platoons spent several days with local Afghans collecting information on insurgent activities in the region. All tasks were supported by artillery, enabling day and night protection.....

Deployed soldiers build green space at desert base
Sgt Mark Bell, B Squadron, Lord Strathcona´s Horse (Royal Canadians), CF article, 29 Oct 08
Article link

Expansion of the Panjwayi Forward Operating Base common area was the goal, but with a little ingenuity, a small common area for off-duty soldiers was turned into a green oasis for soldiers. Following is the story behind Fuchko´s Fountain ....

08-0624_m.jpg

More on links

- edited to fix subject line after polite re-education about terminology  ;D -

I remain, nearly half a century after I first walked through the recruiting office door, quite awestruck by the inventiveness of the Canadian soldier. Throughout a long career and now in retirement it continues to amuse, amaze, confound and inspire me.

--------------------

Well done, black-hats, but: is the 'garden' the newest way to insult the 'poor bloody infantry?' The zipperheads used to confine themselves to sitting atop their tanks eating hot meals while the infantry trudged by, slogging their way through the cold mud. Now one can imagine them having a (non alcoholic) cool one in the garden while heavily laden infantry soldiers clamber uphill through the burning heat and omnipresent dust.  ;)

E.R. Campbell said:
....  is the 'garden' the newest way to insult the 'poor bloody infantry?' The zipperheads used to confine themselves to sitting atop their tanks eating hot meals while the infantry trudged by, slogging their way through the cold mud. Now one can imagine them having a (non alcoholic) cool one in the garden while heavily laden infantry soldiers clamber uphill through the burning heat and omnipresent dust.  ;)

But I'm not bitter, right?  ;D

So tell us what ya think the Arty guys would be doing.

Humping ammunition from point A to point B, and then back again.

milnews.ca said:
But I'm not bitter, right?  ;D

No, not really ... initially, no one told me there was much of anything but the infantry. When I (finally) learned about livin' large in the RCAC it was too late: good taste having already been acquired.  :D

E.R. Campbell said:
No, not really ... initially, no one told me there was much of anything but the infantry. When I (finally) learned about livin' large in the RCAC it was too late: good taste having already been acquired.  :D

I recall hearing of a CO's recommendation for one soldier's reclassification, stating "His departure from the Infantry and entry into the Armoured Corps will improve the intellect of both."

dapaterson said:
I recall hearing of a CO's recommendation for one soldier's reclassification, stating "His departure from the Infantry and entry into the Armoured Corps will improve the intellect of both."

Thank you for my first out-loud laugh of the day with that one!

I can remember on reforgers in Germany when we worked with the "zipperheads", we always wondered why the Heiniken always stayed so cold, until one day we watched as some troopers replenished their stock of "green grenades" down the main gun barrel. Had a good laugh and a few cold ones, compliments of the armoured corp.  ;D Here's to ya lads  :salute:

Pro Patria.

While my father wasn't in any amour units, I did see a photo of their "swimming pool" they had in the compound on my dad's last Roto to Bosnia. There were a few lawn chairs, a kiddie pool, a bbq and a place to keep ..... cold, sorry OPSEC  :blotto: I think I said too much already...

van Gemeren said:
While my father wasn't in any amour units, I did see a photo of their "swimming pool" they had in the compound on my dad's last Roto to Bosnia. There were a few lawn chairs, a kiddie pool, a bbq and a place to keep .....
For the record the Engineers built the pool for thier use first. They wer nice enough to let others use it when they were all out of camp tearing down in other places.

Prairie Dog said:
For the record the Engineers built the pool for thier use first. They wer nice enough to let others use it when they were all out of camp tearing down in other places.
I don't know if we are talking about the same place, my dad was with a medical unit in '99 in Bosnia ( or it could have been Croatia, I can't remember)

If it was in VK, or Camp Maple Leaf, it was our pool.

Kat Stevens said:
If it was in VK, or Camp Maple Leaf, it was our pool.

Thanks for letting us use it. It hit the spot after a long day.

Regards

Hey,we're all about the sharting, as long as nobody pooped in the pool, we were pretty easy to get along with.

Sappers rule!
The big toys for the big boys 8)

Back