• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

infamous_p said:
The Talisman by Stephen King, to be followed by Bag of Bones or The Stand.

I can't even choose my favorite from those three but if I was pushed it would be The Stand.  That was the first Stephen King book I read and now I have them all.
He just released a new book of short stories, Just After Sunset.  Gotta go get it!!

PMedMoe said:
I can't even choose my favorite from those three but if I was pushed it would be The Stand.  That was the first Stephen King book I read and now I have them all.
He just released a new book of short stories, Just After Sunset.  Gotta go get it!!

Moe,

I'm a big Stephen King fan too. I've got almost all his books.  Did you read The Gunslinger series? I liked it except for the very final  book.
I haven't read Cell yet because people have told me it's his worst work. What did you think of it?

im reading Empty Casing right now. I have heard alot about it and am enjoying it so far. Im switching between that and Last Man Out (book and the springhill mine disaster). I recommend them both

I'm reading Kate L. Turabian's "A Manual for Writers".  I think many on this site could find it useful.   >:D

That or "The Practical Stylist" by Sheridan Baker.  ;D

Finally getting around to the Flashman series - just starting "Flashman in the Great Game"
175px-FlashmanInTheGreatGame.jpg

LOVED all of his McCauslan treasures, just never got around to hitting the Flashman books.

PMedMoe said:

Moe, what did you think of Bag of Bones? I'm trying to decide which one to read next - Bag of Bones or The Stand (I tend to have my most indecisive moments when it comes to choosing my next read, haha). I'm an enormous King fan, always have been... but right now I'm making my way through all of the books that are apparently intertwined within the Dark Tower stories before I read the series.

After being on my list of books to read for the past few years, I'm finally reading "Panzer Leader" by Guderian and am thoroughly enjoying it. Also occasionally picking up "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden (of Blackhawk Down fame), South American mickey mouse politics and the hunt for Pablo Escobar...it's not as good a read as Blackhawk Down but still not a bad effort.

Next on the list is "Achtung Panzer" and then "The Kite Runner". Has anyone read "3 Para", about 3rd Battalion of the Para Regiment in Helmand Province in the summer of 2006? Finished it not too long ago, pretty intense read. Anyone else who's read it have any thoughts?

Currently I'm reading a book named: The Lord of the rings: THe Fellowship of the rings :)

Its my 6th time reading it, I just like it:)

War on Our Doorstep by Brendan Coyle.   A short history of WW2 on the West Coast & Alaska.  

leroi said:
Moe,

I'm a big Stephen King fan too. I've got almost all his books.  Did you read The Gunslinger series? I liked it except for the very final  book.
I haven't read Cell yet because people have told me it's his worst work. What did you think of it?

leroi, I also like the Dark Tower novels (a.k.a. Gunslinger series).  I seriously can't remember the last book but considering when he started it was meant to be a 12 or 13 book series and ended earlier, I imagine there was a lot of "loose ends" to tie up.  I love the Roland character.  I could see a young(er) Clint Eastwood, every time he was described.

I actually liked Cell.  I thought it might make a decent movie if they didn't screw it up as they do with most Stephen King book-to-movie transitions.  Notable exceptions being Firestarter, The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.

I think his worst book is The Tommyknockers.  :-X

infamous_p said:
Moe, what did you think of Bag of Bones? I'm trying to decide which one to read next - Bag of Bones or The Stand (I tend to have my most indecisive moments when it comes to choosing my next read, haha). I'm an enormous King fan, always have been... but right now I'm making my way through all of the books that are apparently intertwined within the Dark Tower stories before I read the series.

I liked Bag of Bones as well, pretty neat intertwining of the past and the present.  If you have the uncut version of The Stand (i.e. the way it was originally written) keep in mind it's a pretty long book, but as I said, one of my favorites.  What I liked about it, is that with the exception of the supernatural stuff, it could actually happen, which is kind of scary in itself.

Moe,

The Stand is my favorite too. I've read it several times.
King was pretty disappointed with the interpretation of some of his earlier movies and vowed to never again sign over too much control to filmmakers.
I think the 7th book of the Dark Tower series had too many loose ends. I believe it was written while he was still trying to recover from his accident and a bit rushed.

As Roland would say with a bow, Thankee Sai!!!

the 48th regulator said:
Publius Varus is my all time fictional fave character, from SkyStone.

I think I'm really starting to like Dedalus, particularly what he wrote to Merlyn after sitting in the Council:

"Too much discussion, not enough decision."

Reminds me of some of my O Gps.  ::)

Also, when he tells Merlyn to get rid of Ironhair and Carthac quickly but thoroughly and then writes:

"Decapitation is thorough."

Currently reading more fantasy novels..

Forgotten realms stuff mostly.

I want to start getting into Military history (be it through factual books or novels based on fact or true stories) because I am hoping to take MSS in RMC. (Or History in CivvieU) So I think It would help me get a better understanding. (And be interesting too, of course.)

Any suggestions?

Marshall said:
I want to start getting into Military history (be it through factual books or novels based on fact or true stories) because I am hoping to take MSS in RMC. (Or History in CivvieU) So I think It would help me get a better understanding. (And be interesting too, of course.)

Any suggestions?

Lots of good stuff here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,14.0.html

There are two books that I am reading right now, neither with any sort of consistancy.
1. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. which is a play done by Tom Stoppard.
2. Shock Troops by Tim Cook, which is about The Canadian Corps in the First World War. Apparently it is the second of a series, which means I probably should have started with the first; but I guess I will just have to read it after this one is done.

leroi said:
Lots of good stuff here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,14.0.html

For some reason I never spotted that until last night, I guess my time here has mainly been in Radio Chatter and Recruiting section. I saw some good stuff in there last night, and once I finish the pile of books I have here already I may dig into some of those.

Thanks

Just stumbled on this book at the library "Nemesis by Jo Nesbo."

The House of Pain [IMPORT] (Paperback)
by Jo Nesbo (Author)

http://tinyurl.com/6jx7bg

Back