• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

The Red and Green Life Machine  by Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly OBE.

Deals with the medical end of things during the Falklands war.
This book was discussed/recommended on another thread on this site a few weeks ago, so I ordered it from Amazon (I am somewhat of a Falklands buff).

Just a few chapters in so far but it is very interesting and readable.

I just finished "One Bullet Away: the making of a Marine Officer" by Nathaniel Fickle.  I picked it up with my annual Christmas Chapters gift card gift card present.  From the bargain book section too,  $5.  Worth every penny.

The Art of War: A Novel (Jake Grafton Novels) Hardcover  – February 2, 2016

by Stephen Coonts

The Chinese dragon is flexing its muscles. As its military begins to prey on neighbors in the South China Sea, attacking fishing vessels and scheming to seize natural resources, the US goes on high alert. But a far more ominous danger lurks closer to home: a Chinese sleeper cell has planted a nuclear weapon in the harbor at Norfolk, Virginia, the biggest naval base on the planet.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-War-Grafton-Novels/dp/1250041996

Like many on this site I have a weakness for this type of book. Well written by a knowledgeable ex military author.

Interesting concept, look forward to reading this:

http://voxday.blogspot.ca/2016/03/on-existence-of-gods.html

On the Existence of Gods

ON THE EXISTENCE OF GODS is the response to a public challenge posed by Dr. PZ Myers, a militant atheist who claimed to have never encountered any good arguments for the existence of gods. It is a competitive discourse between a Christian and an atheist, each of whom argue for their position on the subject, after which the arguments are adjudicated by a team of three judges, a Christian, an agnostic, and an atheist, before additional arguments are presented.

The format is compelling and the results are at times surprising, as the discussion takes unexpected twists and turns, while the judges exhibit ruthless impartiality as they criticize the arguments of both sides without mercy or favor. Vox Day, the author of The Irrational Atheist, presents the Christian perspective, while Dominic Saltarelli argues for the atheist position. The debate is wide-ranging and intelligent, but remains civil throughout, even as the momentum swings in favor of one side, and then the other. It also includes an appendix that addresses the argument for a science-based morality presented by Sam Harris in The Moral Landscape.

ON THE EXISTENCE OF GODS is a compelling test of how open the reader's mind is to the various possibilities of reality, and is a worthy addition to the long history of Man's contemplation of his own existence in the face of the divine.

From the reviewers:

This is the first thing that I've read in a very long time that actually had new, novel, and interesting arguments - and both authors achieved this, on both sides of the debate. I find myself giving this book five stars purely for the astonishing achievement of presenting novel arguments. After two thousand years of debating the topic, that's a remarkable achievement.
Watching a relentlessly logical mind like Vox Day at work is a sight to behold.
I enjoyed it very much, not least for the subtlety of the arguments.

This is a really enjoyable intellectual battle between a believer and an atheist which has the very unusual distinction, in such battles, of being courteous, humorous, and on a high intellectual level.

ON THE EXISTENCE OF GODS is 105 pages, $4.99, and DRM-free.

Just finished Buffalo Soldiers by Robert O'Connor. Premise is an American Infantry supply clerk getting up to no good while stationed in Germany during the 1980's. Light, quick read. Not going to change your life, but pretty funny at times none the less.

AIrwin said:
Just finished Buffalo Soldiers by Robert O'Connor. Premise is an American Infantry supply clerk getting up to no good while stationed in Germany during the 1980's. Light, quick read. Not going to change your life, but pretty funny at times none the less.

They made a movie out of this starring Joaquin Phoenix and Anna Paquin.  Saw it on the Movie Network.  I agree, it's not going to change your life.

Cheers,
Dan.

I just finished Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, and I'm on my way into Abandon's Gate. They are the books upon which the TV Series "The Expanse" is based. All have been great so far. As usual, the books are better than the show, but I would still recommend watching it if you ever enjoyed Firefly.

Just finished reading "C.R.O.W.", the first in a series of Brit military sci fi written by Phillip Richards, whose day job is being an infantry platoon 2i/c in the British Army.  This was part of a Kindle collection of Brit mil sci fi - LOTS of reading for less than $5!

Quick, brisk read - gives an interesting feel for and focus on section-level fighting, especially concentrating on what's immediately around you instead of the much bigger picture. 

I'll be trying out other books in the series as well.

Lumber said:
I just finished Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, and I'm on my way into Abandon's Gate. They are the books upon which the TV Series "The Expanse" is based. All have been great so far. As usual, the books are better than the show, but I would still recommend watching it if you ever enjoyed Firefly.

I found Abbadon's Gate not at the level of the first two, but Nemesis Games (the latest one) is really good.

Just finishing another one on the Falklands:

The Yompers; With 45 Commando in the Falklands War
By Ian Gardiner

The author commanded a rifle company in 45 Commando during the war. The book is well written and gives some insight into the problems they faced with logistics, the weather, the terrain they had to cross as well as the actual fighting they did.

Edit: for format

milnews.ca said:
Just finished reading "C.R.O.W.", the first in a series of Brit military sci fi written by Phillip Richards, whose day job is being an infantry platoon 2i/c in the British Army.  This was part of a Kindle collection of Brit mil sci fi - LOTS of reading for less than $5!

Quick, brisk read - gives an interesting feel for and focus on section-level fighting, especially concentrating on what's immediately around you instead of the much bigger picture. 

I'll be trying out other books in the series as well.
More good, sharp, quick reads from Richards in "Lancejack" and "Eden" (with a more complex political situation - you can tell the author's deployed to IRQ and AFG - in the latter, but still very much focused on the section fight within the platoon), and I'm just starting "Recce".  If you have an e-reader, less than $4 Canadian each.

Dimsum said:
I found Abbadon's Gate not at the level of the first two, but Nemesis Games (the latest one) is really good.

I couldn't put the first one down, the 2nd one was good, but I am having a lot of trouble getting into Abbandon's Gate.

Dan M said:
They made a movie out of this starring Joaquin Phoenix and Anna Paquin.  Saw it on the Movie Network.  I agree, it's not going to change your life.

Cheers,
Dan.

The movie is a good time waster, you also. forgot Scott Glenn and Ed Harris as the 1st Sgt and CO. I had no idea there was a book. Just found it on amazon  for a cent plus postage. Should be worth a subway commute read.

While browsing through a used book store in a small town in Nova Scotia, I came across "Admiral Doenitz Memoirs"
I picked it up for $5.00. It's in very good condition, with the exception of the jacket, which is somewhat mangled.The version I have was published in England in 1959.

I picked it up more out of curiosity than anything. After all, being a long retired Armour type, I never really did get in to naval history that much. However, it is a surprisingly good read. Very well researched, both from his own war diaries, but also United Kingdom and US war records. I bought it a few months ago, but just started reading it, I'm about half way through now.

Any student of naval history would enjoy this, I think.

I just finished re-reading 'Helmet for my Pillow' by Robert Leckie.

They based the HBO series 'The Pacific' partly on this book.

Amazing, and humbling, stuff.

It makes me wonder if there's an equivalent book regarding the Canadian soldier's experience in WW2? If so, I haven't come across it yet.

Reading "100 days to victory",  Saul David

100 significant days between 1914 and 1918 on all fronts.

Bass ackwards said:
Just finishing another one on the Falklands:

The Yompers; With 45 Commando in the Falklands War
By Ian Gardiner

The author commanded a rifle company in 45 Commando during the war. The book is well written and gives some insight into the problems they faced with logistics, the weather, the terrain they had to cross as well as the actual fighting they did.

Edit: for format

I never met Ian myself but served with Yankee Coy, 45 Cdo a couple of years after the war. They had nothing but good things to say about him. http://www.iangardiner.com/

daftandbarmy said:
I never met Ian myself but served with Yankee Coy, 45 Cdo a couple of years after the war. They had nothing but good things to say about him. http://www.iangardiner.com/

I highly recommend the book; it was a very interesting and enjoyable read. I'll definitely be looking for his other one about the Dhofar War.

I recently ordered a half dozen or so books* on the Falklands to go with the ones I already have, and am about to start one on the Paras at Goose Green.
(Goose Green: A Battle is Fought to be Won by Mark Adkin)

* Part of a much larger order.
(Captain Morgan + Visa card + Amazon.ca =  :not-again:)

Bass ackwards said:
I highly recommend the book; it was a very interesting and enjoyable read. I'll definitely be looking for his other one about the Dhofar War.

I recently ordered a half dozen or so books* on the Falklands to go with the ones I already have, and am about to start one on the Paras at Goose Green.
(Goose Green: A Battle is Fought to be Won by Mark Adkin)

* Part of a much larger order.
(Captain Morgan + Visa card + Amazon.ca =  :not-again:)

If you haven't read it already I recommend 'Excursion to Hell' by Vince Bramley. Pure Para Reg gold....

Back