• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I'm reading "Aquinas" by Ed Feser. Neo-Aristotelean metaphysics and whatnot.

Yes, because I'm that sort of geek. Don't laugh, a lot of the most influential philosophers were soldiers. Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis, a soldier can never be in a situation of "contented worldliness", since he is always confronted with his own mortality.

Kirkhill said:
Just in the process of re-reading Mark Urban's "Fusiliers".  Its all about how the Royal Welch Fusiliers beat the Americans during that Revolution thingy and converted the British army to modern light fighting all the while campaigning with a 250 man Regiment led by a Captain, a couple of teenage Lieutenants and a jumped up, superannuated RSM.

That is a great book, you probably have already read it but his book "Rifles" is another good read.  In fact all of his books are good, I have not read one that I did not like.

Danjanou said:
Sorry Waterloo
Phew! I was about to release a Broadside at Chapters/Indigo ;-) Tres cool you got to get autographed copies of Waterloo! Been a fan of his for ages.

Just finished reading "PERV: The Sexual Deviant in all of us" (I was wandering through an Indigo back home while on leave, aimlessly looking for anything interesting...and well I was sold on the title alone.).  It's an interesting read to say the least, makes you think what is really going on through someone else's head.

dangerboy said:
That is a great book, you probably have already read it but his book "Rifles" is another good read.  In fact all of his books are good, I have not read one that I did not like.

"Rifles" is also in my library.... right beside "25 years in the Rifle Brigade".

Hatchet Man said:
Just finished reading "PERV: The Sexual Deviant in all of us" (I was wandering through an Indigo back home while on leave, aimlessly looking for anything interesting...and well I was sold on the title alone.).  It's an interesting read to say the least, makes you think what is really going on through someone else's head.

Probably explains a lot about what gets posted here as well!  >:D

The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heist-Novel-Gabriel-Allon/dp/006232005X

Really enjoying tis one. Recent release and well rated.

"In Danial Silva's "The Heist," superspy Gabriel Allon takes time out from restoring a painting in Venice to investigate the torture and murder of Jack Bradshaw, a former British diplomat and businessman. Allon is on the trail of stolen art, in particular an altarpiece by Caravaggio that has been missing for decades. As usual, Allon's inquiries involve visits to various countries--England, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Israel, among them. When he learns that the repressive Syrian regime is connected to his case, Allon and his crack team of Israeli agents set in motion a complex covert operation."

Baden Guy said:
The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heist-Novel-Gabriel-Allon/dp/006232005X

Really enjoying tis one. Recent release and well rated.

Read a couple of this series earlier this year.  Definitely good reading.  :nod:

Just picked up "The Necessary War - Canadians Fighting The Second World War 1939-1943" by Tim Cook  http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0670066508/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It as you can imagine, is about Canadian troops in WWII.  I have not read very far into it, just the introduction but if it is half as good as his two volume set on WWI (Shock Troops and At the Sharp End) then I will be more than satisfied. 

and now for something completely different:
I'm reading "The big book of Hair metal".  Pretty interesting. It gives a good account of how things evolved. late 70s, all through the 80s and part of 90s.

Game of Thrones - these people are for the most part horrible people.

Ned Stark was OK, til that little Piece o Crap Joffery had his head cut off.

I picked up the first book to Game of Thrones years ago, when the books first came out and for the life of me, I just couldn't keep reading.
It was just unpleasant to read. When the tv series came out I thought it was a coincidence that the book I tried to read and the show had the same name; imagine my surprise when i found out it was based in those novels, and even more surprised when I saw how well the series did.

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (yeah, now a Ben Affleck movie).  Definitely not what I expected and I can see why it's in Dymocks' (Aussie bookstore chain like Indigo) 101 Best Books.  Absolutely addictive read - I finished it in 6 hours.

1000 Years of Annoying the French

http://www.amazon.ca/Years-Annoying-French-Stephen-Clarke-ebook/dp/B005O0QBYU/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=916520&s=books

The English Channel may be only twenty miles wide, but it’s a thousand years deep. Stephen Clarke takes a penetrating look into those murky depths, guiding us through all the times when Britain and France have been at war - or at least glowering at each other across what the Brits provocatively call the English Channel. Along the way he explodes a few myths that French historians have been trying to pass off as ‘la vérité’, as he proves that the French did not invent the baguette, or the croissant, or even the guillotine, and would have taken the bubbles out of bubbly if the Brits hadn’t created a fashion for fizzy champagne. Starting with the Norman (not French) Conquest and going right up to the supposedly more peaceful present, when a state visit by French President Nicolas Sarkozy becomes a series of hilarious historical insults, it is a light-hearted - but impeccably researched - account of all our great fallings-out. In short, the French are quite right to suspect that the last thousand years have been one long British campaign to infuriate them. And it’s not over yet ...

;D

Back