• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Journeyman said:
Wow, the Gutenberg edition!  ;)

Hell no, it was on papyrus.  That's why I was glad it was the short version.  So what did you get, chiseled stone tablets?  >:D

I first read the Stand when I was around 12. I remember because I was at  home in bed sick with a wicked flu and I read the entire book in 4-5 days freaked out the whole time because I had the same symptoms!!
I've since read it several more times and the un-abridged version is way better than the original printing. It gives more depth to the characters and puts other aspects into perspective as well.

Currently rereading Helpless by Christie Blatchford.

It's still a head-shaker the second time around.

The Hunger Games:  perhaps the best Sci Fi I have read since Robert Heinlein died.

'He Made It Look Easy‘
Eisenhower in War and Peace,’
by Jean Edward Smith

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/books/review/eisenhower-in-war-and-peace-by-jean-edward-smith.html?pagewanted=all

This book is as good as it's review. History, politics and the military..........  a few of my favourite things. 

End game 1945 by David Stafford

It looks at 9 men and women, from soildier's to POW's to war correspondents from 20 April 1945 till  16 July 1945.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse, by Vicente Blasco Ibanez; World War I novel printed in 1918

Pride and Prejudice, almost done it though and thinking of starting Watership Down. Trying to get through some of the "must read" classic literature while I've got free time.

Just heard that Ray Bradbury has died, at 91.  Fahrenheit 451 has been on my "must read" list for some time.  If it's anything like 84, Brave New World, The Handmaid's Tale and other dystopian novels, it'll be an important read. 

:salute:  Thank you for your work, Ray Bradbury.

bridges said:
Just heard that Ray Bradbury has died, at 91.  Fahrenheit 451 has been on my "must read" list for some time.  If it's anything like 84, Brave New World, The Handmaid's Tale and other dystopian novels, it'll be an important read. 

:salute:  Thank you for your work, Ray Bradbury.

Never read much of his stuff, but I really liked A Sound of Thunder.  The Butterfly Effect (movie) was based on this short story.

Just snagged a copy of Harbor Nocturne.

This is Joseph Wambaugh's fifth book in his excellent Hollywood Station trilogy.

I'm looking forward to this. 

Bass ackwards said:
Just snagged a copy of Harbor Nocturne.

This is Joseph Wambaugh's fifth book in his excellent Hollywood Station trilogy.

I'm looking forward to this.

One of my favorite writers.

Hollywood Station: “Doing good police work is the most fun you will ever have in your lives."

Just read "The Patrol" by Ryan Flavelle, amazing book. Great insight into the Afghan conflict and great readings for a guy like me that's getting ready for his interview next wednesday. I'm now reading "Fifteen Days" which is good in itself, a large amount of variation to the various viewpoints and everything. Anyone recommend some good reading for a Med Tech hopeful? :)

Just finished Starship Troopers... Again.... Now reading Red Storm Rising... Again...

PMedMoe said:
Going between two books:

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel, the last in the Children of the Earth series

and

All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings

Finished the Auel book a week ago.  For anyone who read the series, don't bother with this last book.  It was just a rehashing of all the other books with a bit of new stuff thrown in.  Very repetitive (so much so, that I probably skimmed over 200 pages) and still ended without any definitive conclusion.  This series was one of the ones I intended to keep on my bookshelves but the whole lot is now going to be donated to my local library ASAP.  ::)

At any rate, I can now focus all my attention on the Hastings book.

Back