• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

First In, Last Out.  South African artillery from the 70s to the end of the 80s.  This is one that you need a map book for.  Interesting subject matter, but the author jumps all over the place.

AmmoTech90 said:
First In, Last Out.  South African artillery from the 70s to the end of the 80s.  This is one that you need a map book for.  Interesting subject matter, but the author jumps all over the place Ubique.

There, fixed that for you.

>:D

Just finished “War without battles” it was a great read and gave me a better understanding of the tiny part I played in the reforger ex of 84 and 86. Almost finished “Fusilier” about the Welsh 23rd Regiment in the American revolutionary war.

Two at the moment:

Shake Hands With The Devil by Dallaire

Under the Dome by Stephen King.

Just started both of them in the last few days.

Kittyhawk Pilot - by Michel Lavine and James Edwards.

It's about Wing Commander JF "Stocky" Edwards, from Battleford, flying Kittyhawks in the North-African campaign. It's an interesting read so far, on an aspect of WWII that has not received a lot of attention. The Kittyhawks did not fare overly well against Me 109's - and I am amazed at the bravery of those pilots who continued to take off every day knowing that the odds were not in their favour at all.

estoguy said:
Two at the moment:

I'm reading that one, too.  And currently finishing The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver, even though I've read it before.

On Killing - Dave Grossman excellent read suggest it to all in the military. Its on almost every military school reading list in the states.

estoguy said:

Read that a few years ago when it first came out.

I found it to be an excellent and gripping read.

Makes you wonder just what use the UN actually has.

I just bought and started reading "The End" by Ian Kershaw.

Ian Kershaw’s latest book attempts “to understand better how and why the Nazi regime could hold out for so long.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/16/ian-kershaw-the-end-review

A recent 800+ pager by Stephen King titled 11-22-62.

Moe - Deaver rocks I have read every one of his books!  Can't say I have completed all (but most) of Mr. King's.

Simian Turner said:
Moe - Deaver rocks I have read every one of his books!  Can't say I have completed all (but most) of Mr. King's.

Agreed.  I really like the Lincoln Rhyme series.  I've read (and own) almost all of Stephen King's.  11-22-62 is next on my purchase list.  :nod:

Checking out a book called the "The Lucifer Effect" - about good people can do bad things if placed in the right situation with the right circumstances. Pretty good so far! He uses the Standford Prison Experiment and the Abu Ghraib fiasco amongst others as examples...

Colin P said:
Just finished “War without battles” it was a great read and gave me a better understanding of the tiny part I played in the reforger ex of 84 and 86. Almost finished “Fusilier” about the Welsh 23rd Regiment in the American revolutionary war.

I enjoyed it too ( hard to get a copy mine was used on amazon and still paid a fair bit).  Nice o see the "big" picture as opppsed to sitting in some farmers field in my mine tape trench.

I'm currently reading the "Saxon Series" by Bernard Cornwell.  So far, I've read The Last Kingdom and I'm halfway through The Pale Horseman.  It's historical fiction set in England during the Danish invasions of the 9th century, by the author of the Sharpe series.

cupper said:
Read that a few years ago when it first came out.

I found it to be an excellent and gripping read.

Makes you wonder just what use the UN actually has.

Another good book on a similar topic is Lewis Mackenzie's book Peacekeeper, which predates Dallaire's experience, and shows that not much really changed after Bosnia.  :facepalm:

Danjanou said:
I enjoyed it too ( hard to get a copy mine was used on amazon and still paid a fair bit).  Nice o see the "big" picture as opppsed to sitting in some farmers field in my mine tape trench.

I got to guard a bridge and then given hot coffee by young hot farm girl, invited in and spent some off time getting to know the locals... :nod:

As for "Shake hands with the devil" I felt like I was reading his confession, which given his religious background might have been just that and his way of trying to heal himself. Pretty clear he was an idealist who got into the deep end without really knowing how to swim and no floatation. I suspect even a significant reinforcement would have not mattered in the long run.

Colin P said:
I got to guard a bridge and then given hot coffee by young hot farm girl, invited in and spent some off time getting to know the locals... :nod:

As for "Shake hands with the devil" I felt like I was reading his confession, which given his religious background might have been just that and his way of trying to heal himself. Pretty clear he was an idealist who got into the deep end without really knowing how to swim and no floatation. I suspect even a significant reinforcement would have not mattered in the long run.

lucky bugger, just like that post Nov 11th party in North Van back when we were young and stupid. Closest I got to that is setting up the 84mm in some front garden hedge and the old frau coming out and giving us coffee  and cakes. looks like she'd been handing out hot drinks to troppies since the Franco Prussian War. :'(

estoguy said:
Another good book on a similar topic is Lewis Mackenzie's book Peacekeeper, which predates Dallaire's experience, and shows that not much really changed after Bosnia.  :facepalm:

Yep. Read it too.

Back