• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

West Coast Trail Trip via DND

cbt arms sub tech

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize if this is placed in the wrong section, please move if not in the approhiate spot.....Does anyone know if the military would ever sponsor a team of 5 to 7 people to hike the West Coast Trail....I hear of adventure training, an I'm sure they is certain budgets set aside for this type of thing.....Not really looking for sarcastic responses, just a curiousity thing.

Cheers

A goods start is to read the policy and guidlines for adventure training. I think it is still a CFAO. As the West Coast Trail is a challenging and rewarding physical activity, it falls within the guidlines to apply for funding as a Adventure Training activity. I planned a trip for my unit in 2000.
You would be hard pressed to book slots for a large group at this time of year. The schedule fills up fast. If a large group is going, it must be broken down into smaller ones as only so many people are allowed to be at a particular camping location at any given time.
If you would like more information PM me and I will try and dig up the memories of the process I followed.

If you do plan a trip....might be worthwile to pick the brains of the RCSU (Cadet HQ) as the army cadets have hiked both the juan de fuca trail and the west coast trail.

A goods start is to read the policy and guidlines for adventure training. I think it is still a CFAO. . . .

DAOD 5031-10, Adventure Training
The main objectives of adventure training are to:
- provide mental stimulation by exposure to the element of risk;
- strengthen mental and physical endurance; and
- stimulate initiative and teamwork.

Adventure Training Activities
An expedition is a specific adventure training activity. To gain maximum training value, it should be of at least two-days duration.

An international expedition is a specific adventure training activity that takes place outside Canada.

The following are recognized adventure training activities:
- mountaineering, including rock, snow and ice climbing;
- caving;
- hiking and trekking in rugged terrain, on foot, bicycle, skis or horseback;
- canoeing, kayaking and rafting; and
- ocean sailing.

Activities that do not qualify as adventure training include:
- organized military marches, e.g. the Nijmegen Marches;
- humanitarian and charitable projects;
- bungee jumping;
- dinghy sailing;
- bicycle road touring or racing;
- downhill skiing;
- scuba sports diving (see CFAO 50-10, Scuba Sports Diving); and
- sports parachuting (see CFAO 50-7, Sport Parachuting).

That particular trail is done all the time for Adventure Training exercises.  Albeit, usually the units involved are in BC and the only transport support they get is use of the shop trucks etc.  Don't expect the CF to charter an aircraft and fly you in.

I'm in Winnipeg, can't imagine the dnd funding it, be nice, but I don't live in a dream world....Be great to get a good bunch of folk & do the trail sometime in terms of 2010....

Back