• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Site Administration Welcome to the new Army.ca!

Pertains to site upgrades, performance, and general operation
I think part of that is the mismatch of username and display name. You’ll recognize some of that list by their old name I’d bet. I spot checked the list and it seems accurate. I guess that’s a side effect of being online for 27 years, some of our most prolific contributors haven’t been here for ages!

I tried to edit my above post and it said my 5 minute time limit had expired. I was looking in old posts and the user names are not up to date as in this example. I am editing this to add I didn't get a notice that somebody had posted in this thread while I was writing my post. But it did have a message at the bottom that said somebody else posted. I'll be sure to heed that next time. :)
User Names

Ah, if I’m understanding correctly, the name shown in quoted material is the old display name, which now mismatches with the current user name in use. (Or it may mismatch, for those with a different username and display name on the old site.)

Some members may have a different display name and username....if that is possible....

Ah, if I’m understanding correctly, the name shown in quoted material is the old display name, which now mismatches with the current user name in use. (Or it may mismatch, for those with a different username and display name on the old site.)
Yes, I haven't seen those user names in years. I have no idea who Rusty Old Joint is either. Maybe this setup defaults to the user name selected when the member first signed up.

The old site had username and display name. You basically could not change your username but could change your display name.

The new software has only one “name” which defaulted to the olde username. Good news, you can change your “name” though.

Mike you might want to check what time zone the server is defaulting too as I am seeing some posts with times that are in the future even to me....

Nevermind it was a setting on my side that was wrong....

The “Guest” issue is fixed, I believe.
I’ll add more emojis as time permits.
MilPoints... may be gone for good. Open to feedback on all of the above!
That was quick. Thanks.

🍻 That's a good one.

🧸 I like this one too.

I haven’t done the Tapatalk integration yet. Will put that on the list!

How much of the archives do you have on the new site. There was an ancient science fiction novel where I died as a Corporal, and Infanteer went on to save the universe....

Have you guys heard of PWA? Progressive Web App, if you have an android device you can save the site directly to your android device and it will make it feel like it's an app. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web-app.181448/
Here is another link on PWA:

Has instructions for “installing” it on iOS and Android.

How much of the archives do you have on the new site. There was an ancient science fiction novel where I died as a Corporal, and Infanteer went on to save the universe....
Everything from the old site should be here, somewhere. The search is pretty powerful so if you know enough to search on you should be able to find it. Knowing the OP, the board, or some of the key words/phrases would help. :)

Mike,

Still maneuvering through the site. Wow..........huge changes. I suspect in a month that I will not even remember what the old site looked like.

Thanks for all you do for all of us. I am proud to be a member. Have a great X-Mas.

The "like" button rather than milpoints actually makes for good feedback as well. I note there are still "points" - having trouble figuring out if there is a way to award them.

🍻 🎄

It’s automatic, if you pick a positive “like” you give a point. Some are neutral, and some (like trolling spam) or will deduct a point. Here’s what I’ve added so far, I can add/adjust as we go.

1608931727996.png

Note: To give a reaction other than Like, click and hold (or tap and hold).

Back