• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weesatch / Wasatch from HSGI- review

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I'm currently using the HSGI Weesatch but am upgrading to the Wasatch.
Requirements for the vest being;
Have a strap on the shoulders for vehicle extraction, a medical pouch and 2 grenade pouches (and obviously room for mags)

When I originally did my research I found many comments suggesting the Wasatch was too big and the Weesatch fit a lot better and was the better choice. (Also read somewhere that it was designed for the U.S. 19th Special Forces Group? sounded good to me)

I should have read the profiles of the people suggesting the weesatch was too big.

Unfortunately in many cases I was taking the advice from paintballers and airsofters both of whom no doubt did not wear body armor and were probably on average 140 pounds.
On web pages selling the vests they said for users with smaller frames the weesatch was the way to go but it doesn't give any reference to or examples of what's a smaller frame.

I dropped in 9 mags in the internal pouches and put on 2 grenade pouches and 2 utility pouches.  (One for a TCCC quality medical kit and the other for MNVS) One pouch was the HSGI Mini modular EOD for $50 and the other a Tactical Tailor pouch for $30 basically designed the same.  (Go for the EOD pouches, the TT ones have crappier zippers and they don't zip down all the way making them awkward to get at some stuff on the bottom and they hang down too low).

I put the utility pouches on the front  beside one another with a small gap between but it made the vest stick out way too much due to being infront of double stacked mags.
When I was shooting in the prone it made it feel like I was humping a football and was very awkward (as anyone who has humped a football will acknowledge).  To counter this I placed the pouches as far as I could towards the sides of the vest and it helped a little.
Originally I sold myself on the idea that I didn't want any pouches on the side of me, I hate them there. When I have the tacvest I try and get away with not even using the side utility pouches and take them off.
A platoon mate picked up the Wasatch from One shot tactical (Darren Cole continues to amaze me with the quality of his service). I tired it on and found it infact wasn't too big. I think it was rather perfect. There is room for 12 mags internally (opposed to 10 on the weesatch) and there is a little more room on the sides to attach stuff to the Mollie or palls whatever it's called.
I'm going to order a Wasatch for the sole purpose of being able to push my utility pouches (I ordered another 2 EOD pouches) to the very sides of the vest which should lower my front silhouette and enable me to go into the prone better, plus not look as silly.

Anyone who is considering a Wasatch or Weesatch don't get sold on the reviews of the former being "too large" right away. Like I said many of the reviews I found were from people whom we're probably teenagers or people who don't wear soft body armor under their vests. Read peoples profilesbefore you take their word on something :)

Here's some bad points I found.
-Adjusting the shoulder straps. Retarded. Or I'm retarded maybe. It took me almost an hour to get the shoulder straps sized. The Velcro on them makes it near impossible to adjust, the Velcro just keeps sticking to itself making sliding it around a pain in the ass. You need 3 hands to adjust them. I managed to find a very tedious solution by putting gun tape on one of the Velcro sides so it wouldn't stick together but it takes a lot of effort.
-It's front heavy. Placing the heavy utility pouches to the side helped with it being front heavy but it still sags down. It's designed as a plate carrier and (at least int he CF as far as I've seen) we usually put our plates directly in the soft body armor.  Without the plates on the front and back, the front is really overbalanced and it pulls down.  A camel back or something on the back of the rig might counter it. You also need to snug it up very tightly to make it more secure due to the forward weight.
-It doesn't come with any pockets and the pockets are expensive.  $14 for a grenade pouch, $50 for the EOD mini modular pouches (which seem to work the best).  With 3 EOD pouches that's the price of some chest rigs out there. You can really customize the Wasatch/Weesatch but be ready to pay.
-When you double stack the mags in the front internal pouches they can be hard to get at, buy magpulls and put them on your mags.

Good points
-I haven't had too much time to punish it and test it but I found it still comfortable despite being unbalanced.
-Extremely customizable
-Easy to get on and off/in and out of.
-Seems really well made and tough quality.

Added pics
First is with pockets together, second their moved farther to the side.

dsc05660oq3.jpg

dsc05731lw0.jpg

Comments suggestions rude remarks?

My only suggestion as I run a Weesatch as well. Get the older version of the shoulder pad, second put the PRR in the radio slot on the side (removes it from the shoulder allowing better contact with rifle butt), get the bungie straps from SKDtac worth the moeny spent. Great review makes me want to change some things on my vest.
R711 OUT

Thanks dude.

I was thinking about the PRR in the side pouch, question. How do you key up the radio with it tucked down in the pouch?  I know some guys use a wireless switch0 I was thinking of putting the PRR on my back and using the wireless switch but I've found their always hit and miss. Even with the PRR on your chest and switch mounted on the forestock of the rifle sometimes to key it up you need to bring your rifle closer to your body. Might test it again though.
Plus for me at least I'm using a command PRR and I just plug it into the CI for IC chatting instead of putting the bulky headset on.

Really hope I like the Wasatch when it comes in. Great idea about the bungies, think I'll order enough for all my mag slots. Feel free to throw up a pic of you rig, might give me some ideas too.

How large are the example utility pouches, and where did you get them from?

I ask because the only utility pouches I've ever played around with were the one's from wheelers and the shitpiece C-9 pouch the CF issues me.

The smaller one is the HSGI Mini-EOD pouch.  VERY well built, very rugged and a great pouch. Unfortunately they run about $68.00 each.  The one on the left  (as you wear it) is from Tactical Tailor. Cost about $33. Less quality of course, zipper was quite crappy.  I don't know of the HSGI pouch is big enough for a c9 drum, I want to say no.
I ended up getting 3 of the HSGI pouches (yup I over did it)

I got them from DS Tactical ( http://dstactical.com/ ). One Shot Tactical is also an incredible place to pick up gear from but I don't know if they have arid cadpat (DS does)

It's hard to give you an example of 'how large' they are.

In one of mine I put all my TCCC medical gear in the other I had my MNVGs (and bracket), surefire light, GPS

General dimensions. If I were to venture a guess from the pictures I'd say the smaller one was 6"x6"x 2," and the larger one 6"x8"x2."

Thanks for the link, and I have been looking at the kit from OST aswell as CP Gear. I'd perfer to have my kit in Cadpat though, mostly for the Look Cool Factor and what little uniformity I could garner for my SSM.

Actually, how usefull are the pockets in the HSGI Mini-EOD, and what can you fit into them?

Flawed Design said:
In one of mine I put all my TCCC medical gear in the other I had my MNVGs (and bracket), surefire light, GPS

There's quite a bit of room in them which is good, but ca also lead to overpacking-meaning you put TOO much in there and it becomes heavy, awkward and pulls on the front of your shit.
What are you looking at putting in there

For now just the same useless shit they have us throw into the C-9 pouch and mini front pouches, so not a whole lot. I just want to have the option to fill it with what it needs to be filled with should the need arrive. Such things as NVGs, Bino's, Camera, whatever the hell else they want me to carry, etc.

Back