• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wedgetail AWACS

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Wedgetail And The Little Birds

April 17, 2009: Australia ran a successful test where one of their Wedgetail AWACS (which is also able to perform maritime reconnaissance) aircraft was able to control three ScanEagle UAVs. This enables the Wedgetail to expand its recon capabilities, using its own AESA radar and the video on the UAVs to quickly identify land or sea traffic.

Australia is using militarized Boeing 737 transports as the basis for its new Wedgetail maritime reconnaissance aircraft. The cruise speed for the 737 is 910 kilometers an hour and the Wedgetail version has a crew of 8-12 pilots and equipment operators, who use the search radar and various other sensors. The 737 has hard points on the wings for torpedoes or missiles. Any UAV with suitable communications equipment can be controlled by the Wedgetail. This technique has also been tested with fighter-bombers controlling UAVs.

Super image of the Wedgetail.

AIR_E-737_AEWC_Wedgetail_NSW_Coast_lg.jpg

CDN Aviator said:
Apples to baseball bats.......

Well how do they compare? Do you think that a Canadianized 737 wedgetail could fill the Aurora's shoes, and still double hat as an AWACS? How does the USN P-8 fit in, or does it at all?

I'm asking you because you seem to be the most knowledgeable when it comes to Maritime Patrol and the like.

true it's apples to baseball bats, but what else do I have to even remotely compare it with?

KingKikapu said:
true it's apples to baseball bats, but what else do I have to even remotely compare it with?

The E-3 sentry would be a better basis for comparaison.

cheeky_monkey said:
Well how do they compare?

They dont.

cheeky_monkey said:
Do you think that a Canadianized 737 wedgetail could fill the Aurora's shoes,

The CP-140 is a purpose-built ASW hunter-killer. Wedgetail is an AEW&C aircraft. It cannot fill the Aurora's roles.

How does the USN P-8 fit in, or does it at all?

The P-8 does not fill the same role as Wedgetail.

Do we have E-3's?  I didn't think we did, hence my head scratching RE comparison.

KingKikapu said:
Do we have E-3's?  I didn't think we did, hence my head scratching RE comparison.

We dont have anything to compare to Wedgetail.

KingKikapu said:
Suddenly the Aurora looks a little long in the tooth heh.
As a spectator to this thread (ie - not my lane), it seemed more like an irrational/uninformed poke at the Aurora rather than "a comparison." If no logical basis for a comparison exists, don't pretend to make one.

ps - I was reading about the Mars Rover the other day, and it struck me as how 'long in the tooth' my Jeep TJ seemed for exploring other planets -- except I'd have better tunes, of course.  ;) 

I was under the impression that the Aurora can perform at least a rudimentary form of maritime recon (or is it strictly surveillance?), and I pointed out the Aurora because it seemed to be the closest thing at the disposal of the air force.  As you guys have responded though, it's not even close, so I take it back.

I would still like to fly in her though (the Aurora).

KingKikapu said:
I was under the impression that the Aurora can perform at least a rudimentary form of maritime recon (or is it strictly surveillance?),

Like i said, the Aurora is a purpose-built ASW hunter-killer. This allows it to do many, many other things. What it does not do is AEW&C.

Wedgetail is an AEW&C aircraft , not an ASW hunter-killer. It may very well be able to eventualy accomplish some surface surveillance tasks ( the E-3 and E-2 can already do this so this isnt new) but an MPA it is not.

Back