• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)

The term "Fancy dress ball" meaning a costume party is a Brit term that has somehow wormed its way into our regulations. Probably because we just copied their regulations. I guess they like to have them year round, whereas we'll pretty much limit it to Halloween. And perhaps the occasional Sci-Fi convention. :D

From wikipedia:
A costume party (American English) or a fancy dress party (British English), mainly in contemporary Western culture, is a type of party where guests dress up in a costume.

Yes absolutely, as I was saying I used to see that reference every once in a while and think "why on earth would they make a regulation against wearing a uniform at a formal civilian function?" (Assuming you are being responsible).  But yeah, knowing that they mean a costume party makes far more sense than a black-tie formal dinner, as I had originally interpreted it.

I was speaking to a clerk the other day. He mentioned that retired members of the CF are allowed to keep and wear their DEU to functions like remembrance day and Legion events.

1) Is this accurate?

2) If so, is it normal to do this? I can't imaging putting on my DEU uniform if I am no longer serving. Does not seem right to me. Isn't that why they have the legion jackets?

From the Dress Instructions:

Commanders of commands may grant limited, revocable authority for former members and civilians to wear CF uniforms and clothing items in public displays and performances, and special events, if they are satisfied that no harm to the CF reputation will result (see also QR&O 17.06). In particular:

a. by custom, veterans and other ex-service members may wear undress caps (e.g., berets, wedge caps), with badges, on remembrance and memorial occasions,  subject to agreement of the branch/regiment concerned

a. by custom, veterans and other ex-service members may wear undress caps (e.g., berets, wedge caps), with badges, on remembrance and memorial occasions,  subject to agreement of the branch/regiment concerned 

Okay, this makes more sense. I have always seen our veterans with the beret, cap badge and veteran jackets with medals etc. I was picturing people who were not currently serving walking around in full DEU, which did not seem right.

Pieman said:
I was picturing people who were not currently serving walking around in full DEU, which did not seem right.

That I've never seen, but IMO it ain't on.

Members who transfer to the Supplementary Reserve are permitted to wear DEU on certain occasions.  From DAOD 5002-4:

A Supp Res member is authorized to wear a uniform when on service or attending military entertainment or a ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.

This sounds more like what the clerk was talking about.

Privateer said:
Members who transfer to the Supplementary Reserve are permitted to wear DEU on certain occasions.  From DAOD 5002-4:

This sounds more like what the clerk was talking about.

Except that someone on the Supp Reserve is not a retired member of the CF.

Right, but probably a distinction that most people overlook in a casual conversation.

I did go into the supplementary reserves. (In my mind that is not currently serving) 

So, it appears I can still wear DEU if I wanted.

Any one here in the supplementary reserves do this?

During my ten years on the SupRes I have worn my uniform to the ceremonies held for Remembrance Day and Battle of the Atlantic Sunday and also when attending mess diners.

As I am now retired (as of this past August) and got my release letter, I will be attending those ceremonies in civilian attire from now on.

I have seen folks who are long past SupRes age attending functions in full uniform.  As alluded to above, there are provisions for it.  You just need to ask for an receive permission.  As long as folks are only wearing the things they've earned, i don't have a problem with it.  Not everybody wants a Legion jacket.

As an interesting side observation, I have only seen folks either wearing an old RCN/Canadian Army/RCAF uniform or current DEU in this capacity. I have never seen anyone wearing an old "traditional" CF green uniform (not to be confused with current army DEU - there are some differences).

Interesting, I didn't know that we could wear the DEU while on the Sup list.  Not that I will but it's interestiing.

Pusser said:
I have never seen anyone wearing an old "traditional" CF green uniform

Presumably nobody wanted to wear it one single day after DEUs were issued!

N. McKay said:
Presumably nobody wanted to wear it one single day after DEUs were issued!

Yet Hellyer is still convinced that this concept was "cutting edge" and that all the world would follow our lead. :nod:  I'm convinced that his mother used to watch him on parade and say, "oh look, everyone is out of step except Paul!"

Uniform regulations: Wearing Old Uniforms question.

I tried doing some searches on the forums and other places, but I didn’t come up anything relating to this.  I came across this question when viewing the ‘CADPAT conflict’ that people have about wanting to wear it.
And in the criminal code it says…

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction

How would wearing old uniforms come into this? Like, wearing ww1-ww2  uniforms for remembrance day and for airshow/military days?  Generally for those you wear rank/awards that you have not earned but are APPROPRIATE for the era of uniform you are wearing.
I guess I ask, is because I have a few old cadet uniforms and wear them to promote cadet history, the badges/medals I have on them are era accurate.  I have gotten mixed views from it being a great thing, and to something I should not do from civilians and military members.  I just want to make sure I am not really doing something that will get me thrown in jail.  I also ask is because the 1980’s AIR CADET uniform is almost Identical to the current issue uniform except that the uniform is GREEN instead of BLUE.  I know that military members SHOULD know that it is not the current issue air cadet uniform, but some civies may not know.  ((I get odd looks from the cadets, cause they see the air cadet badges, but its all green!))

I am open when people question/ask me about myself, and I state that I wear them to promote cadet history.
Where it comes to being confused as a member of the military, to whom would we be confused by? The general public which don’t know any better and would even think the ww2 uniform is current issue, or current military members who DO know the difference in the old uniforms to the new uniforms.

If this has already been discussed at length… then just send me to the link… but I did some searches and found nothing.

I don't think you're going to be getting trouble from the Police if you're wearing the uniform properly, and in a respectful manner for the purpose of remembrance or history.

If you're wearing medals/awards and using them fraudulently for personal gain, that's a whole other ballgame.

I wear the uniform as properly as possible.  I get a haircut, shave.  I make sure the uniform is clean, pressed and I polish the boots… I look good =)

I do sometimes come up with issues on placing badges correctly.  I don’t have much for reference material on old regs, but I follow pictures the best I can, and they seem to follow things differently from picture to picture.

I do go a bit ‘superstar’ a bit, to show off some of the different badges/medals they had back in a day.  My research shows it was MEGA RARE for a cadet to have a medal back in the days, as a cadet having a medal and now having MULTIPLE medals is becoming more and more common in the cadet corps.

I am just curious on how wearing old uniforms fit in, so I can have a little bit of a defense should i come up across someone who just wants to make trouble out of nothing.

Vuhlkansu said:
I do go a bit ‘superstar’ a bit, to show off some of the different badges/medals they had back in a day.  My research shows it was MEGA RARE for a cadet to have a medal back in the days, as a cadet having a medal and now having MULTIPLE medals is becoming more and more common in the cadet corps.

I am just curious on how wearing old uniforms fit in, so I can have a little bit of a defense should i come up across someone who just wants to make trouble out of nothing.

You may find this topic of interest:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/25589/post-152803.html#msg152803

419.(a) refers to the current uniform.

Sometimes I wear my jump smock when I go out fishing  ;D  no one has ever gotten confused.

Back