• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

ACE_Engineer said:
I have two (pre-emptive) questions in the same vein.

1. As a part-time reservist with a full-time civilian job, would it be permissible for me, as part of my civilian job, to wear my uniform when:
a) Visiting a Canadian Forces base
b) Meeting with military personnel
c) Meeting with government officials

2. Is it permissible for me to add my military rank to my civilian job signature, for example,
  2nd Lieutenant ABCD, PEng, PMP
  Systems Engineer
  XYZ Corporation

Thank you

1. Are you on duty, going to clothing stores etc? If not, no!

2. I mean I’ve seen retired LCol (Retired) have that on their business card or profile, but no not in the way you seem to propose using it.

Also if I saw someone put on their civilian signature block that they were a 2Lt, I’d fall out of my chair laughing.

Hope that helps!

ACE_Engineer said:

1. As a part-time reservist with a full-time civilian job, would it be permissible for me, as part of my civilian job, to wear my uniform when:

2. Is it permissible for me to add my military rank to my civilian job signature, for example,
  2nd Lieutenant ABCD, PEng, PMP
  Systems Engineer
  XYZ Corporation

Thank you

Oh God, please don't.

PuckChaser said:
If you're not on the clock or representing the CAF, it's totally inappropriate for you to do either of those things. Keep your civilian job separate from the CAF.

Also, if you don a uniform as part of your civilian job, in order to meet with government officials or visit a base - but you are actually representing the private sector, you're now in a pretty big conflict of interest. That's the kind of thing that can get contracts scuttled. You can either represent the CAF or your employer... not both.

What he said. Adding 2Lt will not add any gravitas to your signature block, and if someone with some TI and experience sees that, not only are you going to be in some doo-doo, you're also going to be laughed at.

Welp, good thing I asked then! Don't want to be laughingstock, or, more importantly, misrepresent the CAF.
I don't quite get why that would be funny, though. I mean, you can write "Dr." on your signature without issue.

Dr. and 2Lt are a far cry from each other.

Once you get some time in, you will realize why no one cares if you are a 2Lt.

Honestly, if you are a PEng, PMP Systems Eng I don't think need to inflate that anymore. Even if it were permitted, adding your very junior officer rank would only detract from your education and credentials.

ACE_Engineer said:
Welp, good thing I asked then! Don't want to be laughingstock, or, more importantly, misrepresent the CAF.
I don't quite get why that would be funny, though. I mean, you can write "Dr." on your signature without issue.

It's funny because Second Lieutenants are (usually) brand new officers with very little experience and training. It's like writing "bachelors student" on a business card as an official title.
I get being new and being proud of your position and your choice to serve. Its an honorable profession, but don't let your exuberance cloud your judgement or stain the reputation of the CF. Your rank should really only ever be used when you're doing something on behalf of the CF.

Adding your rank to your signature block or a business card also puts you in an awkward position regarding who you represent. Is your business card representing your company or the CF? If it's your company, then you are misrepresenting yourself by adding your rank.

My business cards for work have my rank on them - as I am representing my unit and the CF when I hand them out.

When I introduce myself to anyone outside of work (and even 95% of the people within my scope of work) I use my first name.

ACE_Engineer said:

That's because Dr. is an official recognized title that relates to an official post-nominal. Should you serve 12 years in the CAF and be awarded your Canadian Forces Decoration, you legimately can have "CD" after your name in your signature block at work and on your business cards in both the civilian and military world.

Here's a list in case you want to badge hunt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-nominal_letters_in_Canada

ACE_Engineer said:

1. As a part-time reservist with a full-time civilian job, would it be permissible for me, as part of my civilian job, to wear my uniform when: . . .
. . .

Here's one more point that you should be aware of. The moment that you put on the uniform, regardless of where you are or whether you're on duty or not, you become subject to the Code of Service Discipline by virtue of s 60(1)(c)(ii) of the National Defence Act. Being on a defence establishment (whether in uniform or not) also makes you subject to the CSD by virtue of s 60(1)(c)(viii).

60 (1) The following persons are subject to the Code of Service Discipline:
. . .
(c) an officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force when the officer or non-commissioned member is
. . .
(ii) in uniform
. . .
(viii) in or on any vessel, vehicle or aircraft of the Canadian Forces or in or on any defence establishment or work for defence,
. . .

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-5/page-8.html#h-41

:cheers:

ACE_Engineer said:
I mean, you can write "Dr." on your signature without issue.

More discussion here,

Proper Use of Post-Nominals 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113923.0

ACE_Engineer said:

Have a read of post #453 on this page, a few up from yours...

Thank you for the information, ladies and gentlemen. Obviously, I'm getting ahead of myself since I'm only just going through the recruitment process. If I do make it (hopefully), I will have to reign in my pride at being a member of the CAF, and not add my military credentials on my civilian signatures or business cards.

General rule of thumb in a military career, when in doubt, ask yourself “would doing this thing that I’m considering doing make me ‘that guy’?” If you’re gonna do something that would be a hallmark move of ‘that guy’, generally it’s best to refrain from being ‘that guy’.

Good judgement comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgement.

The Dress Instructions say:

37. Reserve Force (Class C excluded). Members of the Reserve Force shall not wear a uniform except when:
a. on duty, or proceeding to or from their place of duty;
b. attending a military function or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.

With that, can a Reservist not go to a photo studio to have her photograph in uniform taken for personal use?

Calvillo said:

With that, can a Reservist not go to a photo studio to have her photograph in uniform taken for personal use?

As always, your Chain of Command is your most trusted source of information.

You may wish to carry your uniform in a garment bag to and from home and the photo studio.

Calvillo said:

...what kind of "personal use" ?

mariomike said:
As always, your Chain of Command is your most trusted source of information.

You may wish to carry your uniform in a garment bag to and from home and the photo studio.

Two good suggestions.

Remember the provisions of s. 60(1)(c)(ii) of the National Defence Act:

60 (1) The following persons are subject to the Code of Service Discipline:
(c) an officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force when the officer or non-commissioned member is
(ii) in uniform,

:cheers:

Calvillo said:

As suggested, carry your uniform in a garment bag and change at the studio. Less gawking from the public, and no real potential to do anything that can be seen as inappropriate while in uniform.

Is there really any reason to have professional photos taken of oneself in uniform? Aside from the media photos we take before deploying, or if you are important enough to have your picture on a wall somewhere, I mean.

DetectiveMcNulty said:
Is there really any reason to have professional photos taken of oneself in uniform?

For Mom?

Maybe you guys should stop recruiting children and then pictures for mom wouldn't be such an issue?

Back