• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

CF Reserves Uniform Policy in Public (Toronto)

In uniform in public?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13534.300.html

In public in Uniform... 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104222.75.html

uniforms in the public 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/26650.125.html

faivious said:
Good day,

I had a question regarding the current policy of the uniforms.
I am enrolling in the Canadian Force Reserves and this question was always at the back of my head.

I see Canadian Force members in public transportations, mall, food-court, street, etc wearing uniform (off-duty).

Is this allowed? I just wanted to clear it up because I will be commuting for my BMOQ reserves in Toronto for my weekend training and might run into a situation where I do not have civie clothes to switch into (possible rare occasion).

If it is allowed, what is the general stigma attached to it?

Thank you!

Edit:

I found this article from Oct. 2014.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1629109/toronto-soldiers-clear-to-wear-uniforms-in-public-army-says/

If you are going to be on a course, your course staff, will clearly outline when, where and how you can wear your uniform in public, with a heavy emphasis you wear civilian clothes, so you don't make any mistakes, like drinking a coffee while walking down the street without headdress (as I have seen BMQ/BMOQ students do before).

You can wear your uniform on your way to work or home from work. It's generally accepted that you can stop off somewhere to eat during the trip, but I wouldn't go for the full sit down restaurant thing. I used to regularly stop off at a Quiznos to grab a sandwich before I got to the armouries. The only time I've really seen it accepted for people to go for a full meal in uniform would be people who work full time, and usually on a lunch break or as an office event.

And like Hatchet Man said, there's a few rules to commuting in uniform you need to know. You can't walk around while eating or drinking or smoking. If you're going to be eating or drinking or smoking while outside, you stand still with your headdress off - and then, in places where it would be 'socially acceptable' to do that. Smoke in smoking areas (you're in public in uniform at all, so don't break any bylaws). I wouldn't go up to a hot dog vender and then stand there eating with your headdress off. Might look weird.

Also, no headphones, and don't walk around staring at your phone.

Hope that helps!

Remember that in uniform you represent the military you so proudly joined.

Would you rather: a. be seen in uniform dressed correctly ONCE you are taught how to maintain and wear it properly or;
b. wearing it incorrectly, badly reflecting on the CAF as a whole and possibly getting yourself in trouble whilst doing so?

I would personallly wait to learn about what's right and what's wrong. Ask your course staff for a digital copy of the Dress Regs "A-DH-265-000-AG-001" (about a 17MB file) and you can read about all the little nuances to become a better soldier.

37.  Reserve Force.  Members of the Reserve Force shall not wear uniform except when: a.  on duty, or  proceeding to  or from their place of duty;  b.  attending a military  function  or ceremony at which the wearing  of uniform  is appropriate; or c.  Reserve Force members on Class  C employment are  deemed  to be in  the Regular Force. See paragraph 36.

Togakure said:
Also, no headphones,

Actually headphones are ok in certain circumstances (like riding transit IIRC), that came around 2012, just before I got out.

Hi guys, do military reservists have the right of wearing the military uniform in public like in the bus or while taking the subway? Like when you finish you service for the weekend and while going back home to keep your uniform, I’ve already saw someone with the uniform in the bus but it is legal?

Generally it is permitted to wear uniform while commuting to and from work, yes. Likely this won’t be allowed until you’re far enough into BMQ that you know how to dress yourself. I’ve got a lot of bus-miles under my belt in uniform...

Tireurelite said:
Hi guys, do military reservists have the right of wearing the military uniform in public like in the bus or while taking the subway? Like when you finish you service for the weekend and while going back home to keep your uniform, I’ve already saw someone with the uniform in the bus but it is legal?

What Brihard said.

Also, remember that you represent the whole of the Canadian Armed Forces while in uniform and it you wear it badly, it reflects on the military. That being said, if you are confident enough on how to wear it and wear it properly, there are no issues. You might want to search the internet for the Canadian Forces Dress Regulation (CFP-265) and have a read of those, the more you know, the better!

My question is, I am PRes and I sometimes want to time my commute so that I go to the public gym first and then to the armoury.

Would it be wrong to wear my Cadpat and Headdress into the gym, change and lock my uniform in a locker for an hour of exercise, complete my exercise and change back into uniform and continue with commute?

I'm not quite sure I see the reason for wearing the uniform to the gym.

Why can't you just wear your gym clothes to the gym, shower then change into your uniform?

KMS081991 said:
My question is, I am PRes and I sometimes want to time my commute so that I go to the public gym first and then to the armoury.

Would it be wrong to wear my Cadpat and Headdress into the gym, change and lock my uniform in a locker for an hour of exercise, complete my exercise and change back into uniform and continue with commute?

Just put your gym clothes on and stuff your uniform in your issued day pack.  Make sure you are wearing a course t-shirt with dog tags out.  You'll still achieve letting everyone know you are in the military without having to wear your uniform.  No shaving required either until you report in.

;D

Disclaimer:  This is sarcasm and does not reflect my actual view or the views of this site.   

Bzzliteyr said:
I'm not quite sure I see the reason for wearing the uniform to the gym.

Why can't you just wear your gym clothes to the gym, shower then change into your uniform?

Well since the gym is along the way to the armoury, I thought it would be advantageous to just not carry so many different clothing articles around. I would be already in my uniform, change to my civilian gym clothes and work out, then change back into my uniform and head toward the armoury.

I understand your point as well.

KMS081991 said:
Well since the gym is along the way to the armoury, I thought it would be advantageous to just not carry so many different clothing articles around. I would be already in my uniform, change to my civilian gym clothes and work out, then change back into my uniform and head toward the armoury.

I do that exact thing every morning. You're not carrying anything more if you head to the gym in your gym outfit, then change.

From the dress regs (http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-265/index-eng.asp):

"19. “On duty”. As a general rule, for purposes of dress and appearance, a member is considered to be on duty:
a. when actively engaged in operations, training or administrative duties, either in accordance with specific orders or in accordance with established military routine or practice;
b. when attending a course or administrative function, either in accordance with specific orders or established routine or practice;
c. when participating in or attending any sport, recreational, social or other activity where military authorities require her/him to be there; or
d. when he/she is at a specific place, or doing a specific act, because of a military order.

37.Reserve Force (Class C excluded). Members of the Reserve Force shall not wear a uniform except when:
a.on duty, or proceeding to or from their place of duty;
b.attending a military function or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.
38.Proceeding to or from Place of Duty. Commanding Officers may order members of the Regular and Reserve Force to wear uniforms when proceeding to and from their place of duty where it is considered appropriate to do so in the circumstances, having regard to the custom and practice of the CAF."

I hope that helps with your decision.

OP sounds like a Class A member so I would suggest that they do not wear the uniform prior to going to the gym as they are not really considered "on-duty" until they sign the pay sheet at the armoury.

NFLD Sapper said:
OP sounds like a Class A member so I would suggest that they do not wear the uniform prior to going to the gym as they are not really considered "on-duty" until they sign the pay sheet at the armoury.

I would consider only the travel from the gym to the unit as "proceeding to or from their place of duty".

KMS081991 said:

Wear your uniform to the gym and don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

To close my issue, I decided if I do go to the gym, that I would not change into uniform until I was about to leave the gym and was enroute to the unit.

Thank you all for the assistance.

I have two (pre-emptive) questions in the same vein.

1. As a part-time reservist with a full-time civilian job, would it be permissible for me, as part of my civilian job, to wear my uniform when:
a) Visiting a Canadian Forces base
b) Meeting with military personnel
c) Meeting with government officials

2. Is it permissible for me to add my military rank to my civilian job signature, for example,
  2nd Lieutenant ABCD, PEng, PMP
  Systems Engineer
  XYZ Corporation

Thank you

If you're not on the clock or representing the CAF, it's totally inappropriate for you to do either of those things. Keep your civilian job separate from the CAF.

Back