• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

284_226 said:
Now who wants to be the first to tell me I lack in personal pride, professionalism, etc.?   ::)

You lack consistant train of thought.  You didn't know that rule until you downloaded it and found it by accident.  You have been arguing necessity for the whole time, and the reason you got plowed was because of your beyond-stupid claim of lack of headspace due to seating constraints.  If you had known (or thought you were reading it right) you would have trotted that out long ago. 
And ultimately, regardless of what the reg says, if your RSM or CO says "Do it", you will.  End of story. 

Hi guys,

Im a new reservist, and have no other means of getting to the drill hall other than public transit. Though we were never given specific instructions, a few of my friends have told me that there are certain things you aren't allowed doing if your in public with your uniform on. Like, she said texting, listening to music, etc. Are these actual rules? Or more of suggestions? Also, are there any other things we are/aren't supposed to do? This question might seem ridiculous, but I've got an hour long commute, and usually listen to music and what not. 

Thanks.

The main thing to keep in mind is that when you're out in public, the public see you as a representative of the CF, so whatever you do keep that in mind. I've never seen anything above unit standing orders cited for policies on listening to music/cell phone use/etc so if you don't find anything in the CF-wide rules keep an eye out for things specific to your unit. I've seen policies about proper ways to carry a coffee while walking...

Personally I would avoid those things and take a nice book with me. That's putting forward a good image I think.

The Base CWO is the dress authority for your base and the best thing to do is to ask your CoC or call the Base CWO assistant (usually a Sgt/MCpl). They will be able to provide you the clarification/direction you are seeking.

Or, you could always refer to the appropriate section of the CF Dress Manual:

DEPORTMENT

1. Responsibilities. Pursuant to QR&O 17.02,
the deportment and appearance of all ranks, in
uniform or when wearing civilian attire, shall on all
occasions reflect credit on the CF and the individual.
It is the responsibility and duty of all officers, warrant
officers and non-commissioned officers to ensure
that, by their vigilance, actions and example, the
policies, regulations and instructions contained
herein are adhered to by all ranks.

2. Behaviour. Personnel in uniform shall
comport themselves in a manner which projects a
positive military appearance. Behaviour such as
chewing gum, slouching, placing hands in pockets,
smoking or eating on the street and walking hand in
hand, is forbidden. This instruction’s objective is to
project an image of a disciplined and self-controlled
force.

3. Military Presence. Personnel in uniform
shall be well groomed, with footwear cleaned and
shone, and uniform cleaned and properly pressed. In
particular, buttons, fasteners and zippers shall be
kept closed; pockets shall not be bulged; items such
as glasses, glass cases, sun-glasses, pens, pencils,
key rings or paper shall not be visibly extended nor
protrude from pockets or be suspended from waist
belts or pockets; nor shall commercial headsets from
either a radio receiver or tape/CD player or a nonissued
cellular phone be worn, except where required
in the performance of a military duty. CF personnel
wearing civilian clothes on military installations and in
military groups or settings shall dress and comport
themselves at all times as befits members of a
disciplined, cohesive force.

I would not consider texting while on the bus to be an issue. Doing so while walking would definitely be. That having been said, might I suggest a book. It's like a text message, but on paper, and longer. ;)

Nothing wrong with hammering away on a BlackBerry while in uniform on the bus.  I see dozens of pers (mostly officers) doing it every day.  The CFCWO, who is on the same bus as me almost every day, seems to prefer a good book.

Actually any male seen texting in public should be beaten by the men in the Wiser commercial..................

Check your emails, respond if required. "I'm passing Danforth and the dude next to me smells like a mule" is not a requirement. Keep the earbuds or headphones off, they are not part of the uniform.

recceguy said:
Check your emails, respond if required. "I'm passing Danforth and the dude next to me smells like a mule" is not a requirement. Keep the earbuds or headphones off, they are not part of the uniform.

I know a certain LCol who does just that on his FB while riding to and from work.  It's quite entertaining.  Kind of a 'letters to the bus driver' type series.

Seriously though, if you're sitting and doing any type of waiting, text, surf, talk on the phone, whatever.  Don't go throwing earbuds in and, if you're going to chat on the phone, watch the language.

Oh, and if your going to respond on Facebook or whatever, don't just post, reiterating what someone just said, just because you think you need to clarify the exact same point as the person ahead of you. Even though everyone knew what the original person was talking about. Might be hard on the thumbs for no reason.

Occam said:

DEPORTMENT

1. Responsibilities...
It is the responsibility and duty of all officers, warrant
officers and non-commissioned officers to ensure
that, by their vigilance, actions and example, the
policies, regulations and instructions contained
herein are adhered to by all ranks.

positive military appearance. Behaviour such as...
walking hand in hand, is forbidden.

It even looks silly when a LGen does it while saluting his troops. http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2011/09/02-eng.asp

Simpler solution:  Wear civvies and change into uniform when you get there.  ;)

As a new reservist you may not be too worried about violating "dress regulations" or public image and stuff like that.

So look at it like this.

In uniform you are under constant observation, both from civilians, serving military and ex military.  It is not uncommon for you to be in uniform chewing gum while you're waiting for the bus and 3 days later someone in your chain of command is giving you a blast of crap because someone who used to be int he army 20 years ago saw you chewing gum recognized the hat you re wearing and called in the complaint to your unit. I'm not kidding people go way out of their way to make complaints, sometimes it's deserved and sometimes it's cause they're dicks. 

As a new guy your best option is to not put yourself in a position to have someone call and complain about you.  No earphones, texting, hands in your pockets, standing like you don't have a backbone, spitting etc..
Lots of great advice in this thread already, listen to it.  The best in my opinion is probably bringing your uniform and changing when you get there.

I know new guys love showing off that they are in the military, they are proud to be in the Canadian forces (rightly so) and want people to know it.  Wearing your uniform sometimes just puts you in a position to have to deal with idiots in public who are bored and feel like bitching about whatever. They see uniform and to them it's an open invitation to talk about the Canadian soldiers dying in Iraq for president bush and his oil and to cover up 9/11.
Save bragging about being in the CF for facebook where you can post updates about the quality of the free food you're given, volunteering to work then complaining about such violations of human rights like fire picket and kitchen duty or that you have to work at night sometimes ;)

On the same note other stupid things include;
Wearing your dogtags outside of your shirt (in uniform or out)
Talking about what you do at work in public, loudly, on purpose so people around you hear thinking they will be impressed. (Talking about storming a trench shooting someone with blanks may sound wild, but it's not)
using military ID as ID to buy alcohol, get into bars, show girls etc..

cellular phone be worn,
except where required

Notwithstanding that this is what the Dress Manual says, we have to keep in mind that some things move faster than we can develop and publish new regulations.  It is my belief that this particular regulation was intended to prevent personnel from walking down the street with headsets on, not to prevent folks from enjoying various forms of entertainment during a long commute.  To take this literally, as written, would mean that CF personnel could never watch an in-flight movie on an airplane, if they were in uniform.  Surely that is not the intent of this regulation?  If that is the case, how is a long bus or subway commute any different?  How is listening to music with earbuds any different from reading a book or working on a computer?  I travel on public transit in uniform on a regular basis.  I often sit down, remove my hat and listen to music on my iPhone.  Before I reach my stop, I put away the iPhone, put on my hat and carry on.  I don't wear earbuds while walking down the street.  No big deal and it hardly reflects discredit on the CF.  Walking down a public street in downtown Toronto while urinating in uniform (I've seen this) reflects discredit on the CF. Wearing earbuds while sitting on a bus?  Not so much.

Occam said:
Nothing wrong with hammering away on a BlackBerry while in uniform on the bus.  I see dozens of pers (mostly officers) doing it every day. The CFCWO, who is on the same bus as me almost every day, seems to prefer a good book.

As an officer, I have always taken my cue from Chiefs and Warrant officers whenever unsure as to dress or deportment. None of them has ever steered me wrong.

Occam said:
Nothing wrong with hammering away on a BlackBerry while in uniform on the bus.  I see dozens of pers (mostly officers) doing it every day.  The CFCWO, who is on the same bus as me almost every day, seems to prefer a good book.

Odd, given that there is no CFCWO right now.

The CFCPO, on the other hand...

(Yes, I know the position is still labelled as CFCWO, but we should always try to avoid Senior Service Snits)

dapaterson said:
Odd, given that there is no CFCWO right now.

The CFCPO, on the other hand...

(Yes, I know the position is still labelled as CFCWO, but we should always try to avoid Senior Service Snits)

Yes, I actually checked that very page before posting that, as I wasn't sure of the validity of the acronym CFCPO - and I can't find anything that says CFCPO is acceptable.  I don't think you'd hear any grief from him by calling him the CFCWO.

Occam said:

DEPORTMENT

positive military appearance. Behaviour such as
chewing gum, slouching, placing hands in pockets,
smoking or eating on the street and walking hand in
hand, is forbidden. This instruction’s objective is to
project an image of a disciplined and self-controlled
force.

cellular phone be worn, except where required

I think Tim Horton's and Starbucks changed that. Its very common to see CF personell with a Tim's or Starbucks in hand  on the street in uniform.

Back