• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

No, I wasn't the OCdt. And yes, the OCdt in question actually was, as ModlrMike put it, the architect of his own misfortune.

He survived, no pace stick where the sun don't shine. But he was already known in the Regt for believing because he was an officer (used loosely, he was an OCdt), he had some authority. I tried many a time to have him realize he did not have any as yet, not until his commission. I had quite a time with him on his BMQ as his Crse O...

SSM took it quite well, actually. That is what experience teaches you: Mister Bloggins, says he, would you care to rephrase your request?

He stammered for a good minute before I could intervene (I was not busy laughing off to the side, but in an O Grp). We discussed it later.

He still hasn't really learned, to be honest, but he's getting better.

I hope.

For his sake.

If the SSM's initials are DM, well the OCdt in question lucked out it was him, knowing his calm (usually) disposition.

Eye In The Sky said:
If the SSM's initials are DM, well the OCdt in question lucked out it was him, knowing his calm (usually) disposition.

They are DM. And he likes to fly? And yes, he did luck out. It would have been a different story, I think, if it HAD been the RSM...

The wearing of a uniform in public also depends on the weekly and monthly threat assessments. There have been several times I remember being briefed to come into work in civvies.

Aaaahhh, yes - the CDS-of-the-time's knee-jerk reaction to the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington in 2001...

LFCA HQ was in leased accommodation in a commercial office building on Yonge Street just north of Finch back then.

I carried my uniform in from the parking lot across the road in a clear plastic dry-cleaning bag each day, thus following the letter of the edict, until it was cancelled.

One of the many attractive young female workers from one of the other businesses in the building remarked to a couple of us that day that they all felt much safer with us in the building.

"As you should", I replied, "Unless, of course, we become targets".

Her eyes widened dramatically after a brief pause.

Sporadic E said:
The wearing of a uniform in public also depends on the weekly and monthly threat assessments. There have been several times I remember being briefed to come into work in civvies.

I don`t ever remember being told to come to work in civis, though I do remember the 80s, early 90s being told not to go anywhere but home quick stop for gas and maybe buy some milk and such like at same place if your really need to and have stopped for gas already.

Loachman said:
One of the many attractive young female workers from one of the other businesses in the building remarked to a couple of us that day that they all felt much safer with us in the building.

"As you should", I replied, "Unless, of course, we become targets".

Her eyes widened dramatically after a brief pause.

:rofl:

I shouldn't, but that was funny...

Loachman said:
Aaaahhh, yes - the CDS-of-the-time's knee-jerk reaction to the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington in 2001...

LFCA HQ was in leased accommodation in a commercial office building on Yonge Street just north of Finch back then.

I carried my uniform in from the parking lot across the road in a clear plastic dry-cleaning bag each day, thus following the letter of the edict, until it was cancelled.

I was in NDHQ.  "No uniforms to work" was the rule.  But you could travel in the downtown between DND buildings in uniform.

My home at the time was a downtown condo - literally a 5 minute walk to work - and between several DND buildings.  So, I could walk from my office past my home to meetings in uniform, but not from my home to the office in uniform.

Back a loooooong time ago, when I was stil a junior officer, people in NDHQ (and at the MOD in London) wore civilian clothes to work and at work, as a general rule. I'm not sure why that was the rule ~ there were all kinds of rumours. I seem to recall that there was a "London allowance" (I think it was called that in Ottawa, too :dunno: ) intended to cover wear and tear on civilian clothes. Once every couple of weeks or so, on either some schedule or whim, people wore uniform for a day. In my last military job (1990s), as the head honcho of a small, specialized directorate that was collocated with another government department, I told my folks that what they wore to work was, within reason (good taste), their business, but if people were going to wear civvies as a matter of routine then I expected to see a uniform once a week or so, just to make sure they had one and that it still looked good, etc. (I usually wore uniform because the general dress for my colleagues was jacket and tie and I preferred an open neck shirt with a sweater in winter for my own comfort (I hate ties!))

Edward, some friends of mine who were posted to London once told me the civies to work issue was to reduce their target status vis-a-vis the IRA. I don't know if that's true, but it seems plausible enough.

Well the "rule" was in effect, in both London and Ottawa, in the early 1960s, for sure, and long before that, as far as I know; so I suspect the IRA was not the issue.

The policy predated the latest round of IRA "troubles" as far as I can determine. CP Stacey mentioned it in his memoirs and he retired in the sixties. As I recall it in CFHQ circa 1971, each branch wore uniform one day a week. If someone was going to a meeting at another government department, they could wear civvies. The reason for the latter apparently was to avoid upsetting the delicate sensibilities of the public servants.

The policy was scrapped by Jadex, who believed quite correctly that there were a number of members who had not purchased the new CF uniform and in fact had no uniform whatsoever. We went to uniform four days a week and wore mufti on Fridays. This set off a massive spate of whining amongst the uniformless and others as well in the public at large (or at least those who wrote letters to the editor or appeared on man in the street interviews) re the militarization of the nation's capital.

I can remember in the mid 90's being called over the weekend and told that when I went to work on Monday I could not wear my uniform and when we did PT we could not wear regimental PT clothes.  So we fooled all the population of Winnipeg when our Pl of 30 men with short hair when for a run in formation.  There was no possible way that anyone could think they when we left the base for the run and came back to the base we could be in the military.  I am not sure the exact reason we were given the order but it did not last very long.

Man... in the location where I live... south Texas, military members are not allowed to wear their uniform unless its to and from work. Border violence has erupted down here... and soldiers are constantly being targets for criminal organizations. Oh and the people in the far southern part of Texas hate all US military because they think we work with the US border patrol and are trying to send their illegal family back to Mexico lol. Every once in a while you will encounter an American citizen who calls you baby killer... or murderer... or an occasional Muslim calling you evil dirtbag or other names... but you dust it off your shoulders lol.

I've had buddies who have been jumped before, and one or two shot also... but get shot, fire back lol. Get jumped, fight back. We wear our uniforms with pride and inflict fear when provoked lol.

Good day,

I had a question regarding the current policy of the uniforms.
I am enrolling in the Canadian Force Reserves and this question was always at the back of my head.

I see Canadian Force members in public transportations, mall, food-court, street, etc wearing uniform (off-duty).

Is this allowed? I just wanted to clear it up because I will be commuting for my BMOQ reserves in Toronto for my weekend training and might run into a situation where I do not have civie clothes to switch into (possible rare occasion).

If it is allowed, what is the general stigma attached to it?

Thank you!

Edit:

I found this article from Oct. 2014.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1629109/toronto-soldiers-clear-to-wear-uniforms-in-public-army-says/

They are more then likely travelling to or from duty, or in the case of food courts and such, on a meal break.

Back