• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of full size multiple medals on uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper49

Inactive
Reaction score
I have now 16 medals, I have 11 court mounted together and another 5 court mounted separately. My question is, how do I wear these on my uniform? my previous "unit", never wore CF's, now I'm that I'm in the "real world" of uniforms again, I would like to have an educated answer.
My peers are unclear, some say wear the 11 on the right and the other 5 on the left side... doesn't seem feasible to do as such.
Can anyone assist me?
"Never miss a shot....."

A-AD-265-000/AG-001, Canadian Forces Dress Instructions

Method of Wear. Medals should hang in one row so that they are fully visible. Should this not be possible, because of the number being worn, they shall be overlapped horizontally with the senior medal showing in full. Normally, six or more standard size medals and more than eight miniatures will require overlapping. The maximum width of the mounting is governed by the physique of the individual. The bar should not normally project beyond the outer edge of the lapel or the arm seam of the jacket.

See example in photo.

casper49 said:
I have now 16 medals, I have 11 court mounted together and another 5 court mounted separately. My question is, how do I wear these on my uniform? my previous "unit", never wore CF's, now I'm that I'm in the "real world" of uniforms again, I would like to have an educated answer.
My peers are unclear, some say wear the 11 on the right and the other 5 on the left side... doesn't seem feasible to do as such.
Can anyone assist me?
"Never miss a shot....."

May I ask what all you've got? I cannot, offhand, recall ever seeing/hearing of a CF member with even close to that many.

16 seems fairly high, here is  Lieutenant Governor Donald S. Ethell, the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta and it looks like he has 15 medals.

web-05-Alta_Lt__1205003cl-8.jpg

Brihard said:
I cannot, offhand, recall ever seeing/hearing of a CF member with even close to that many.

Probably because those who have been awarded 16 gongs don't wear their uniforms often, if you catch my drift.  ;)

I wouldn't be surprised that maybe one is the Confederation Medal  ;D

That would be quite a long career for 16.

dangerboy said:
16 seems fairly high, here is  Lieutenant Governor Donald S. Ethell, the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta and it looks like he has 15 medals.

Not sure how many Gen. Rohmer has, but it is a lot.

cupper said:
I wouldn't be surprised that maybe one is the Confederation Medal  ;D

That would be quite a long career for 16.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=3262 - 38 years

dangerboy said:

web-05-Alta_Lt__1205003cl-8.jpg

If you count the Order of Canada around his neck, it appears to be 16.

Edit: 17, one more around his neck I can't quite make out.

Michael O'Leary gave the correct information to the OP's question. There is no need for all the speculation. If the OP wanted to give his history, I'm sure he would have. Go back to the original post and try reading between the lines.

Milnet.ca Staff

ColdNorth said:
If you count the Order of Canada around his neck, it appears to be 16.

I believe the decoration on the lapel would make 18.

Simian Turner said:
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=3262 - 38 years

Actually I was commenting on the comment by Brihard.

But thanks for the info on the Lt. Gov.

ColdNorth said:

As he's the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, I think you'll find that the one hiding under the MMM is the Alberta Order of Excellence - and 17 looks right.  I'm not sure what the one on the lapel is.

cupper said:
I believe the decoration on the lapel would make 18.

If you really want to get picky, 21 - he was awarded the SSM twice and the CD three times.

On another picky point, one of the links described him as one of the most decorated Canadian soldiers.  In fact, he only has two decorations, the Meritorious Service Cross and the Canadian Forces Decoration.  The rest are just medals (which are not decorations) and the insignia of three orders (Order of Canada, Order of Military Merit and Alberta Order of Excellence), which are higher in the Order of Precedence than most decorations, but are still not decorations.  Reeling in pedantic neck now...

Interesting (although not necessarily politically correct) page here which critiques his dress at some occasions:
http://wearingyourmedalswrong.blogspot.com/

Last edit to remove - incorrect info.

It's sad to see the skepticism of my missions, i believe one post had it, "...to read between the lines...." nevertheless here goes....

Strand of 11: Somalia 92/93, SWASM 2003, General Campaign Star 04/05, General Service Medal 07/08, CFPSM, UNPROFOR 94/95, UNMIH 1996, ISAF 1992, 125 Anniversary Medal, CD, and the last one on this strand is the IRAQ Campaign 2006, working with the US 1181st

Strand of 5: Somalia (UN), RWANDA (UN), Sierra Leone (UN), East Timor (UN), and Sudan (UN)

So you say say that the 125 was my freebie......

Again, disappointed in the non believers....
But thank you for you reading, all I wanted was a simple answer....

Good night Irene........... or ... BOHICA

Occam said:
I'm not sure what the one on the lapel is.

From what I can tell, it may have something to do with the appointment as Lt. Gov. Looking at Lt. Gov. Francis from Nova Scotia, she has the same decoration on her lapel as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mayann_Francis_GG.jpg

casper49 said:
It's sad to see the skepticism of my missions, i believe one post had it, "...to read between the lines...." nevertheless here goes....

Strand of 11: Somalia 92/93, SWASM 2003, General Campaign Star 04/05, General Service Medal 07/08, CFPSM, UNPROFOR 94/95, UNMIH 1996, ISAF 1992, 125 Anniversary Medal, CD, and the last one on this strand is the IRAQ Campaign 2006, working with the US 1181st

Strand of 5: Somalia (UN), RWANDA (UN), Sierra Leone (UN), East Timor (UN), and Sudan (UN)

So you say say that the 125 was my freebie......

Again, disappointed in the non believers....
But thank you for you reading, all I wanted was a simple answer....

Good night Irene........... or ... BOHICA

I, for one am impressed.  :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back