• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Of Contact Lenses While On Duty

I used the contacts you can leave in for a week while in the field on CAP, I didn't have any problems at all with them.. All the other times I used disposable ones that I took out at night. I find your peripheral vision is better, my shooting was better (although my glasses were made in Macedonia, so the optics might not have been as good as what you get now), and I could always see better (ie further) with contacts than I could with glasses. I moved on from that and got LASIK a little while ago though, now I see 20/20.. Haven't had any problems with night vision but then again I haven't been in the field with my new eyes yet either.

Some mornings they're a little dry, but no more than if I wore my contacts for 16 hours straight.. It only lasts for the first minute or two after I get up. I was a V4, borderline V5 so it's nice to be able to actually see properly.

Lasik will only work for people who have minus (-)  prescriptions..... ie - they have to shave off a few microns.  If you wear a plus (+) prescription... there is nothing they can do to add to your eye.

every eye surgery will be different. 
some will have their night vision affected by a halo effect - others won't
some will require an additional visit the next year - or subsequent.
The eye is a muscle, it will deteriorate over time - so at one time or other, in the future, even people who get Lasik will need new glasses - or have to go back for a tuneup

Exactly what Geo said. I checked it out extensively for 6 months before finally deciding to go for it (although I've been considering it for years), I highly suggest anyone who is interested do their own research before signing up for anything, don't take anyone's word as gospel. One thing I did notice though from my conversation with the doctor and during the info sessions and most other sources I spoke with is that they guarantee NOTHING, meaning that they will not say what you will see, just that it is very likely you will see better.

My suggestion for those interested in laser eye surgery:

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE COMMITTING. If you're not spending MONTHS checking out procedures and talking to references, you aren't doing enough. I'm very happy with my results, but there are risks with every surgery.

err... yeah........ if the surgical procedure resolves your vision why wouldn't those trades be open to you?

I have been out of the Forces for quite some time, but do they not still issue the old "Doc Savage" D ring glasses with the soft flexibhle arms that were respirator compatable? They looked stupid as hell, but they stayed on your head. As a contact lens wearer, I can't think of a worse environment than the field to wear contacts in!

The CF provides you with those same flexy glkasses for your gas masks.
They also provide you with a prescription insert for your balistic eyewear.
And then, you are also entitled to 2 pairs of glasses - to be replaced on occasion.

Remember that heavy recoil and Lasik don't mix. The flap can come loose and/or wrinkle. If you only plan on shooting 5.56 no prob but .338 Lapua and .300 H&H are a different story.

Only if your shooting right after your surgery.  While the risk is there after ir heals it's so minimal that it is on par with getting hit by lightning.  Laser surgery is the best gift I've ever given myself!

sigh.... - (minus) prescription
laser surgery is not an option :(

Hi,
Currently I am wearing contact lenses called OK lens (Orthokeratology lenses), where you sleep with them on at night, and it corrects your cornea to 20/20 vision. Basically I clean them when I wake up and put them on at night. I am joining the reserves this winter, and most likely doing a Weekend BMQ, and I was wondering if it would be good to wear these contacts on course, or should I go to my eye doctor and get a pair of glasses?

Thanks.

Sukintu said:
Hi,
Currently I am wearing contact lenses called OK lens (Orthokeratology lenses), where you sleep with them on at night, and it corrects your cornea to 20/20 vision. Basically I clean them when I wake up and put them on at night. I am joining the reserves this winter, and most likely doing a Weekend BMQ, and I was wondering if it would be good to wear these contacts on course, or should I go to my eye doctor and get a pair of glasses?

Thanks.

Can you see correctly without your contacts?  If not, then I strongly suggest that you get yourself a pair of glasses.  If something should happen to your contacts, you will need to be able to see.  Notwithstanding, you may be told to remove them due to any number of reasons and will need a backup method of sight.

And you DON'T want to be wearing contacts if you get gassed!!  :crybaby:

With all this talk about Contact Lenses , I started thinking.

I wear Contact Lenses, RGP's specifically. But I also wear glasses. So all in all i wont have any problems adjusting to using one over the other. But I have been wondering if anyone here who does wear Contact Lenses in the field, has any experience with RGP's? They tend to be much different then your regular soft lenses.

airmich said:
Can you see correctly without your contacts?  If not, then I strongly suggest that you get yourself a pair of glasses.  If something should happen to your contacts, you will need to be able to see.  Notwithstanding, you may be told to remove them due to any number of reasons and will need a backup method of sight.

I only wear my contacts at night, when I sleep. I can take them off pretty quick and put them off pretty quick also, and what do you mean by I might be told to remove them?

Sukintu said:
I only wear my contacts at night, when I sleep. I can take them off pretty quick and put them off pretty quick also, and what do you mean by I might be told to remove them?

You are not guaranteed that you will only be sleeping at night.  As well, you may only get time for a nap here and there, do you want to waste the short rest period you have with putting in and removing contacts?  And what if you are woken up for an emergency?  You most likely will not have the time to remove them, no matter how quickly you can do it.

I can't speak for other trades/elements, but when you are onboard ship, you are not allowed to wear contacts.  Therefore you will be told to remove them.  I know there are other situations throughout this thread that people have mentioned where you are not allowed to wear them, and I'm sure more will be posted.

so what if you when you wear glasses, you cant use prepherial vision during a patrol, does that not complicate your awarness?

See my post above about getting gassed while wearing contacts.  That will certainly complicate your awareness!

Heh... lots of fun when the agent / irritant finds it's way under the contact lens.  I remember seeing someone tearing at his eyes to get the contact lens off...

Back