• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing gloves with touque mandatory

DAA said:
I can remember back in the late 80's early 90's heading over to the Mess Hall for lunch during the winter.  Turning the corner and going through the front door, only to find the Base CWO standing there, note pad in hand.  "Where's your gloves and why aren't you wearing them?"    :eek:

The RCN Chiefs will coordinate a morning, lunch or secure and still do the same thing
at all main points are the Formation, a few times each year.

I don't want to blow anyones mind but in Petawawa you can wear a toque and gloves with no jacket. Or just a toque, no gloves or jacket.

You can even wear.......your goretext rain jacket with snug pack softie underneath in the winter.

There were some people from (insert name of non existent unit from an invisible building here ) using the shoot house in Pet last week.  I understand they're special, but these guys deserved their own Olympics kind of special.  Not one looked like any other one, and apparently the hardest part of selection for these dudes is passing the "not able to take a step without your hands stuffed in your pockets" test.  I'm no parade square soldier for sure, but these people had scruffy down to an art form, and those were just the women, the dudes were much worse.  Not in my day, harrumph!

Kat Stevens said:
Not one looked like any other one, and apparently the hardest part of selection for these dudes is passing the "not able to take a step without your hands stuffed in your pockets" test.  I'm no parade square soldier for sure, but these people had scruffy down to an art form, and those were just the women, the dudes were much worse.
And yet, surprisingly good at shooting things. Clearly their priorities aren't in the right place.

Kat Stevens said:
There were some people from (insert name of non existent unit from an invisible building here ) using the shoot house in Pet last week.  I understand they're special, but these guys deserved their own Olympics kind of special.  Not one looked like any other one, and apparently the hardest part of selection for these dudes is passing the "not able to take a step without your hands stuffed in your pockets" test.  I'm no parade square soldier for sure, but these people had scruffy down to an art form, and those were just the women, the dudes were much worse.  Not in my day, harrumph!

Day 1 of clearing into a SOF unit:

"YOU WHY ARNT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS!, GET THAT DAMN HEAD DRESS OFF!, and PUT YOUR OAKLEYS ON YOUR HEAD! NO NOT ON YOUR FACE, ON YOUR HEAD!"

Hurricane said:
Day 1 of clearing into a SOF unit:

"YOU WHY ARNT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS!, GET THAT DAMN HEAD DRESS OFF!, and PUT YOUR OAKLEYS ON YOUR HEAD! NO NOT ON YOUR FACE, ON YOUR HEAD!"

Not exactly

DAA said:
I can remember back in the late 80's early 90's heading over to the Mess Hall for lunch during the winter.  Turning the corner and going through the front door, only to find the Base CWO standing there, note pad in hand.  "Where's your gloves and why aren't you wearing them?"    :eek:

"Because my ears are cold and my hands are warm, sir." :running:

Seems like a rule, just to be a rule. Another one that comes down from time to time is no rain jackets and toques together. :facepalm:

Kat Stevens said:

But I bet you they were amazing at their jobs and that they shot the $!@# outta that building. And did it better than any shiny boot, hands out of pocket, clean shaven unit out there. Sounds like true professionalism to me.  :nana: haha

The hallmark of military professionalism is discipline.  Sometimes that does unfortunately manifest itself in chickenshit ways.  However, at the end of the day, the military is about the controlled use of violence.  Without discipline, there is no control.

UnwiseCritic said:
"Because my ears are cold and my hands are warm, sir." :running:

Seems like a rule, just to be a rule. Another one that comes down from time to time is no rain jackets and toques together. :facepalm:

I kept my beret on all last winter because of that one.  Anything heavier than the rain jacket above -15 and I'm boiling to death.

Eye In The Sky said:
Then you should come over to the RCAF.  We just got issued new toques/balaclavas/neck gaiters...all nice pieces of kit.  AFAIK, the new issue stuff is for wear in op dress, with the old style still the DEU toque.

But, the new toque sure is comfy.  Is OVOTP still open this FY?  ;D
Apparently the Army's old green wool field toque has been replaced by a green version of the new RCAF operational toque.  But, aside from having seen a statement to this effect from the TA, I have not actually seen any sign of a new Army toque.

UnwiseCritic said:
But I bet you they were amazing at their jobs and that they shot the $!@# outta that building. And did it better than any shiny boot, hands out of pocket, clean shaven unit out there. Sounds like true professionalism to me.  :nana: haha

I have no idea who you are but you are coming off as an a@@hat.

Have you any experience with anything other than what you do?

UnwiseCritic said:
"Because my ears are cold and my hands are warm, sir."

That would have earned you a one way ticket to the Duty Centre for at least 14.

Maybe you should go on listening silence.

Jim Seggie said:
I have no idea who you are but you are coming off as an a@@hat.

Have you any experience with anything other than what you do?

That would have earned you a one way ticket to the Duty Centre for at least 14.

Maybe you should go on listening silence.

Tone in conversation is context, since you can't really hear my tone I think you have taken what I said out of context (which is why I added the running and ear tongue thing). It was jokes.And I have had the pleasure of doing some minor taskings with other "units" and they are very professional. It just doesn't manifest itself in the ways of shiny boots and hands in pockets.  Though they always did have polished boots. The pocket thing, not so much.

And of course I would never say that to a Sergeant Major... I listen to them not only because it makes my life easier and keeps me off duty. But they are the authority figure and that's just how the military works. Most of the ones I have met are experienced soldiers, deserve respect (listened to) and have justly earned their position. And will enforce rules because that's their job, even if they don't agree with the rule. Which is fair.

Back