• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing an Ancestor's Medals Mega-thread

Wes, thank-you for saying so clearly what I only wish I could voice so well.
Our opinions on this matter are matched to an amazingly close degree. ;)
There is little that I can add except my complete support for Wes' viewpoint... :salute:

It should be a matter of personal choice AND respect.
Not self-glorification and attention.
As long is it is clear that you are honouring ANOTHER's sacrifice, I see no problem.

It would also be a good idea to know how the medal was earned, but not necessarily a requirement.
Merely knowing that the Medal is a recognition of the inner-character of the person you are honouring.
This requires a definition of what the medal represents:
After all, A true medal is awarded for the character and nobleness that the individual possesses/possessed, not for the physical act.
The Physical act is merely a demonstration of the element of character for which the medal was awarded.
A Medal does not say "Once upon a time, I was brave/valorous/courageous.â ?
A Medal says â Å“I AM brave/valorous/courageousâ ?
A winner of the Victoria Cross, for example, does not earn it for storming a trench or rescuing a comrade under fire.
It is recognition of the Valour which is inherent in the individual at all times.

As for the law itself:
IMHO, this law is akin to the many other laws that exist of an obsolete and seldom enforced nature.
For example, the ones that say it is illegal to whistle in an elevator in some obscure town, or to ride an ostrich down main street, etc., etc.

The unfortunate thing is that a change to the Canadian Criminal Code requires literally an act of Congress (Well, Parliament anyways... ;))
And we all know the cost-efficiency that such a procedure entails... *sigh*

It seems likely to me that this law will be among the countless other obsolete and senseless laws until public pressure justifies the expenditure of the necessary resources to affect an official change.

Until then, I will rest assured that those who HONESTLY choose to HONOR the memory of relatives in this way will likely go unchallenged (By Law or Otherwise.).

And any challenges that do come will be from those who are too ignorant to respect the personal choices of those who wish to honour their heritage and ancestry in a way that seems fit to them.

Write your MP, Vets Affairs, Legion, and any Associations, and use Australia as an example. Also there may be other BCW countries doing the same as us.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Wes

i know writing your MP is a good idea, but i am not sure if it woiuold do any good. remember what political party in power right now. the Liberals, they do not do anything to help in remembering our vets or helping with the military. (not that i want to turn this into a anti liberal board)

ah man not that bilge again.

yep hutch yer right lets not send this thread on another well trodden tangent.

I am sure it'll cost no more than a few minutes of time and a psotage stamp.

I am writing one now, and following up with an e-mail

tess

was wondering if there is anything in writing on this subject....QR&Os or something?  I wore them one Remembrance Day on my right side, as my dad would have worn them on his left, and nobody said anything to me....I wear them to show my pride for my father.  They are the miniature version.  I'm also ex-military, don't know if that makes a difference.  :)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/10_05/10_05_cfpn_1111_wearing-medals_e.asp

Says it all.  Don't break the law.

We went through a lengthy discussion about this with a member of this site who fancied herself a barrack room lawyer.  It wasnt pretty.  Do a search and you will see.  The law is rather clear on the subject. 

You can't wear them......The above link is all you need to know

If the link above proves to be insufficient dissuasion, try: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/280915.html#Section-419

If I saw you wearing medals you were not entitled to, I would turn you in in a heartbeat!

Get a picture of your Gramps & have the medals framed beside them.
Place them in a place of honour & remember!

There is a Remembrance Day package making it's rounds, with all kinds of facts, policies, etc. Very good reading, and it spells out that you are NOT allowed to wear somebody else's medals. Period. It does give a handy recommendation, though: it says that it is perfectly acceptable to place those medals in your inside breast pocket, so that they are close to your heart. That should cover the sentimentality issue.

Al

Thanks guys for the info and words of advice...didn't know I was breaking the law  :(    I've been out of the military for over 16 years now...I won't be wearing them again...promise!   :cheers:

I order a small wreath with my family's name on it and lay it after the official wreaths are laid when they invite "all others".  But Amos, by going to the service and remembering your dad and his stories is what the day is all about.  He knows what medals he recieved, you are his living legacy, make him proud and hold onto the beliefs he fought for. That's all he ever asked of you.  (and us for that matter).

Amos,

Here's an idea, go to your local Legion and ask them to put out a table for now passed vets so you can lay out his medals with a photo and a little bio of him. Each remembrance day you could encourage more family members to do this. I think it would be very fitting for you to honour him in this way. You get to display his medals to all on remembrance day and you don't have to wear them to achieve this. Good luck.

3rd Horseman said:
Amos,

Here's an idea, go to your local Legion and ask them to put out a table for now passed vets so you can lay out his medals with a photo and a little bio of him. Each remembrance day you could encourage more family members to do this. I think it would be very fitting for you to honour him in this way. You get to display his medals to all on remembrance day and you don't have to wear them to achieve this. Good luck.

Very excellent idea.

Third Horseman....thanks for the great suggestion!  :-*  You have given me an idea for something else also.... to bring my dad's picture and his miniatures and display them at our table with us where we sit and have a beer!  After the service, we will tour the SNCOs mess, the ANAF club and then the Legion...just like old times!  :salute:  I love it!  Take Care.

niner domestic said:
I order a small wreath with my family's name on it and lay it after the official wreaths are laid when they invite "all others".  But Amos, by going to the service and remembering your dad and his stories is what the day is all about.  He knows what medals he recieved, you are his living legacy, make him proud and hold onto the beliefs he fought for. That's all he ever asked of you.  (and us for that matter).
Thank-you Niner Domestic  :-*  Going to the service and remembering will always be the least that I will do... I've always enjoyed doing more for him in life and in death...like I said before, I'm just so proud of him.  One year or maybe many, I will lay a wreath for my dad.  :)

Amos said:
Thanks guys for the info and words of advice...didn't know I was breaking the law  :(    I've been out of the military for over 16 years now...I won't be wearing them again...promise!   :cheers:

Back in Australia you can, but on the right side, not over your heart. Personally I am for this, as its juswt how it is in Australia, and wearing them on the right indicates you are wearing them in honour of a relative. Wearnin them on the left and not have them awarded to you also is against the law. Only on ANZAC Day, Long Tan Day, and 11 Nov a relative can wear them, and again on the right side, NOT the left. No other time is authorised, so I am told anyways.

Maybe one day, Canada will change its mind, so the legacy of our fallen can be remembered in this manner.

Cheers from Bagdad,

Wes

I see lots of Vets wearing medals on the right side that belonged to their dad and their medals on the left. Personally I think the wearing of the miniatures on the right on Nov 11th is a great idea as it shows a bond with what your family did, also shows the link between generations when you see a guy with his dad's medals and his.

Colin P said:
I see lots of Vets wearing medals on the right side that belonged to their dad and their medals on the left. Personally I think the wearing of the miniatures on the right on Nov 11th is a great idea as it shows a bond with what your family did, also shows the link between generations when you see a guy with his dad's medals and his.

I think the medals you see them wearing on the right are their Legion service medals.

Back