• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons You Have Seen In Locations You Did Not Expect To See Them

Whilst working as a section commander on a QL3 Inf course in Vernon in 1992, we had just deployed to the Winfield training area. The NCO's had gone out in advance of the troops with the Pl Comd. The training area is at the North end of the Kelowna Airport and is also used by the local population extensively.

Upon reaching the training area and unloading our rucks and webbing for the week, one of the NCO's asked who in the Pl was responsible for the Carl G and why had it been loaded on to our vehicle as opposed to carried by the weapons det. No one could answer him....it later dawned on us that the Carl G had been left in the embuss/debuss point from the Friday before, when we packed up and left in the dark! All weekend, civvies had been walking their dogs through the area and no one had made off with the 84.

That same summer when doing a serialized kit check (go figure) we came out with one 77 set over and above what we had been issued. A check on the serial # indicated that it had been reported lost the previous Summer by the Comms Reserve. When we had cleared out of one of our positions, one of the troops had picked it up as it was leaning against a tree and loaded on to the ML. It was no worse for wear other than a moldy cotton duck bag.

ajp said:
, in Residence in Ontario a reservist showed the C-7 he aquired on an ex... Ahhhh University.
Dang, and I have trouble just bringing my biceps onto campus these days.  :p

benny88 said:
Dang, and I have trouble just bringing my biceps onto campus these days.  :p

Well alot of schools have rules about "small arms" ;D

recceguy said:
D&B,

Let me know next time you're in Motown. I'll be glad to take\direct you to a number of places where they will be more than happy to accomodate you in your request for 'dance' music ;) ;D

No thanks! The place was more dismal than East Belfast after a bad riot - complete with dozens of angry, pissed off cops, choppers hovering overhead with searchlights, and smouldering rubble strewn streets. Hard to believe that it was a first world city. And now that I think of it, why did I find it so surprising to have a gun pulled on me in a pub... an IRISH Pub at that? Silly moi....

ajp said:
Back in University (my tree hugger days) before I even considered the military, in Residence in Ontario a reservist showed the C-7 he aquired on an ex.  His room mate at school had a similar item as well. 

:eek:rly:

:pop:

I'll do a wait out on this one, but methinks a birth of another urban legend waving the BS flag is being flaunted.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:

I'll do a wait out on this one, but methinks a birth of another urban legend waving the BS flag is being flaunted.

OWDU
Agreed.....

Anyone know any Military Police who may want to quietly have a look at this?

Overwatch Downunder said:

OWDU

This the one you are looking for OWDU?

;D

daftandbarmy said:
No thanks! The place was more dismal than East Belfast after a bad riot - complete with dozens of angry, pissed off cops, choppers hovering overhead with searchlights, and smouldering rubble strewn streets. Hard to believe that it was a first world city. And now that I think of it, why did I find it so surprising to have a gun pulled on me in a pub... an IRISH Pub at that? Silly moi....

Sounds like you may have been in the Corktown area of the Motor City.  Scary place!
I personally don't go anywhere near there without 7 G wagons, a CP and a cube truck.  But that's a another story. 

NFLD Sapper said:
This the one you are looking for OWDU?

;D

Yes  :nod:

Now, another Baghdad adventure.

There was this place called ENZO, ran by two Englishmen. We were fresh meat at the time, and I was sent out on a tasking to introduce myself, and conjour up a new business deal with a local place who had been doing the repair/service our uparmoured fleet of vehicles.

So, went to this ENZO place in the IZ, not far from The old Baghdad Zoo. It had a lovely Villa with all the creature comforts, and a large outdoor area with repair section, petrol/dieseline tanks, and a unique outside bar, all made of car parts.

The older Pommy bloke said "Wes if you continue to get your veh's serviced here, we'll get you guys serviced too, as we know some western women here who'll do that". I most cheerfully declined, but we did eagerly accept his 500 ml tins of Heinekens on numerous occasions though. We had many good times there, and lots of laughs with these two english blokes, but never for a second forgot where we were. For almost the whole tour we used this facility.

Later after the Engish left for some reason, the place was ran simply by the locals, who ran the place willy-nilly, and the quality of work, went off, along with the time it took for repairs, and more questionable characters we had not seen before began to appear and disappear. Our uparmoured were rentals (we used these for IZ work only - all other stuff in the RZ was LAV) from a UK based company ($650US/day), and part of the agreement was these had to serviced locally).

In the villa one day, I noticed a loaded Romanian PKM (ball and AP-T link hanging out) GPMG neatly tucked behind a door, and this suspicious bloke with a fuzzy moustache was looking at me like a kid who got caught stealing a cookie. AKs, not an issue, they were as common as the date palms, but a belt fed gun was a no-no, and sent of alarm bells.

This was reported to the S2 cell, who told us to watch ourselves, and shortly after that Mohammed (their 2-IC, a well dressed tall and spoke perfect English) was picked up by the IP for insurgent activity in the IZ. There had been a lot of roving sniper activity locally. ENZO actually rang our office asking for a character reference for him  ::) - can you beleive that! We never found out his fate, but he was picked up with four others, and we never seen him again.

The S2 had us abandon our dealing with ENZO, and the place went downhill from there, losing much business from all within the IZ. We had showed up to pick up whatever eqpt we had left, and the tension was very VERY evident.

Not long after that, a well placed 122mm HE Katyusha paid a visit, totally smashing and levelling the villa with a 110% direct hit, killing many. The place now has since been cleared and is now a dusty field of nothing.

Cheers,

OWDU

Sounds like a hell hole, Wes.

After 20 years going by I do know the idiocy of the following events that took place. However. I was a kid, and kids do some really silly things.

Before my time in uniform, whilst scuba diving in Okanogan Lake under the floating bridge in Kelowna, I found a WWII 60mm mortor round at 110ft. At those depths I thought it was an odd shaped pop bottle so I surfaced with it. After dumping the contents of my collection bag on the rocky beach I soon discovered it to be what it was. I mulled over what to do with it. Walking it to the police station seemed a bad idea, so I loaded it in my mustang with my gear and took it home, across town to where I lived in Rutland. Arriving home, I called for my father to see my "treasure." He looked, gave me a few choice words of rebuke and discreetly called a RCMP officer he knew to come and check it out. Subsequently the EOD team from Chilliwack came out, took it to a gravel pit and destroyed it. For anyone who cares to call bunk, I have the pictures and subsequent magazine article from Okanogan Life magazine. My partner was a bit of a chatty cathy and told his buddies at the scuba shop about our "adventure" and the word got out.

I now know better.

A couple of UXO articles, if interested:
http://www.navydiver.ca/news/Kal_Lake%20_UXO_20031231.pdf
http://www.dcc-cdc.gc.ca/english/newsletters/2009/0904_newsletter_article3.html

Well, I wasn't expecting to find anything but when I was younger I was in a warehouse with a friend and this warehouse is currently used for steel storage but in the 60's it made refrigerators and in the 40's it made Sherman tanks.

Needless to say we found catabombs in the warehouse and we found some interesting parts there like a 75mm shell, the Sherman gunner's scope and a few other goodies.

It was extremely interesting especially since I am a WW2 buff.

My C7 comment was real, and yes it was substantiated at the time, but that was 20 +/- years ago.  Small arms in the dorms was an issue even then, rednecks or not and the residence (read frat) was torn by the issue/presence, but I am quite certain it was never reported.  The story is a lot more colorful, but lets stick to the title...Weapons You Have Seen In Locations You Did Not Expect To See Them.  As a Civ then I was surprised.

"Obese Texas inmate hides gun in his flabs of fat":
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090808/koddities/us_odd_fat_hides_gun
As heavy as that sounds, humans have been reported to weigh more than 1400 lbs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Brower_Minnoch
Cheers!

ajp said:
My C7 comment was real, and yes it was substantiated at the time, but that was 20 +/- years ago.  Small arms in the dorms was an issue even then, rednecks or not and the residence (read frat) was torn by the issue/presence, but I am quite certain it was never reported.  The story is a lot more colorful, but lets stick to the title...Weapons You Have Seen In Locations You Did Not Expect To See Them.  As a Civ then I was surprised.

This person in the dorms.. they more than likely had a civilian AR15 rifle not a Military Issue C7 rifle.

mariomike said:
"Obese Texas inmate hides gun in his flabs of fat":
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090808/koddities/us_odd_fat_hides_gun
As heavy as that sounds, humans have been reported to weigh more than 1400 lbs.

Although you did not personally encounter this...;)

-Skeletor- said:
This person in the dorms.. they more than likely had a civilian AR15 rifle not a Military Issue C7 rifle.

Well, were the C7s even in the ResF at that point in time? I know in Cornwallis for my basic trg we were still using FNs 20 years ago when I went through. Lahr had just gotten C7s switched out from FNs over there --- and they were the priority pers then before all the other RegF units. IIRC, the ResF waited quite awhile after that for their allotments.

I'm going to go with the "if they had 'em, they certainly weren't CF mil issued C7s" too, unless someone can confirm any ResF unit managed to get them issued prior to the RegF roll-outs being completed (or even begun at some RegF bases).

I know when I went through Wally world in '89 I was dismayed to see the FN still in use. IIRC we were using them in my militia unit for well over a year.

Back in 97 I did range clearance in wainwright for the new ATS there we cleared alot of ranges we pick up everything from ball to 84mm collected a few mags, a brit bayonet.The most interesting item was this lining and handle to close the door of the car, the whole plastic part that snaps onto the metal door for the inside of a car door. It was laying on one of the ranges but nothing else around so we go over to pick it up like all the rest of the garbage and parts there of. We look at the plastic molding and what do we find the molding was modified into a .22cal semi auto you could see the bore and mag housing very odd.We wanted to take it but the engineer Sgt said put it with the rest of the crap to get melted down.I found it very interesting will never forget that.

Back