• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapon Myths

CADPAT SOLDIER

Inactive
Reaction score
last night I was taught that a C1A1 Could chamber and fire a AK-47 round if hand fed. This was after I recieved the talk about how the Stering was the worlds greatest house clearing weapon.

My question is, is it ever alright to try and dispell these myths if the person whos teaching you it outranks you?

I mean this wasn't joke the Cpl genuinly believed these to be true and was passing on his knowledge to the new troops.
It is apparent from my limited training that alot of CF reserve membesr know Very little about weapons and weapon laws.
I've heard its legal to buy a AK-47 as long as you buy it in pieces, that the AK-47 is legal if you use a barrel extension.
these are just a sample, I"m young but I've read enough to know more on these topics then most people.
Should I just keep my mouth shut and smile everytime I hear one of these?

Future Unknown said:
last night I was taught that a C1A1 Could chamber and fire a AK-47 round if hand fed. This was after I recieved the talk about how the Stering was the worlds greatest house clearing weapon.

My question is, is it ever alright to try and dispell these myths if the person whos teaching you it outranks you?

I mean this wasn't joke the Cpl genuinly believed these to be true and was passing on his knowledge to the new troops.
It is apparent from my limited training that alot of CF reserve membesr know Very little about weapons and weapon laws.
I've heard its legal to buy a AK-47 as long as you buy it in pieces, that the AK-47 is legal if you use a barrel extension.
these are just a sample, I"m young but I've read enough to know more on these topics then most people.
Should I just keep my mouth shut and smile everytime I hear one of these?

It is a common joke amongst those of us that actually used it.

Many had a "hair trigger" in that a little bump would set it off and keep firing until all ammo was spent.

Throw it into a room and let it clear for you......      ;)

Regards

Not only that, but the rate of fire was so slow, that you'd sweep the room and only release 5-6 rounds . . . thereby missing all the skinny guys.  I remember my first time on the range with the SMG, my instructor just about had a kitten because (while I felt like I had my finger of the trigger for an eternity), I was only letting off 2 rounds at a time!

Trying to dispel such myths is difficult if--as you said--the instr outranks you, and is teaching a class. Some (a rare few) would accept such correction as part of the teaching method.  Most will slap you down and thereafter make your life a living hell.  I guess the best thing to do is to get your facts straight, (i.e. get the documentation and words of authority from one who knows) and let yr mates know the truth.  Again, there's a down side: if you're "found-out" then yr Cpl is going to accuse you of undermining his authority.

The other option is to speak to yr Trg NCO, or Chief Instr, (using the chain of command, of course).

Just my thoughts off the cuff.

Future Unknown said:
it is imperative that you do so. However, not in front of a large group, and ONLY if you have the hard data in hand. I'd strongly suggest a diplomatic approach about the entire thing.

paracowboy said:
it is imperative that you do so. However, not in front of a large group, and ONLY if you have the hard data in hand. I'd strongly suggest a diplomatic approach about the entire thing.

A very diplomatic approach.

Regards

I find if you poke him in the chest and make menacing gestures, it may ease the tension.

Crouching and growling also make an effective attention-getter ;D

Seriously, very diplomatically ask him/her for an oppoortunity to pass on some information you have "in an informal" manner

Pronto

Wait until you know he's alone in his office, or wherever he works, and walk in with the book in hand. (Yeah, make damn sure you have your facts straight, and the ebst way is to have the source in hand.) Say, "excuse me, Cpl/Sgt/Admiral, but that lesson you gave was so cool, I started looking some of that stuff up, and this book says...."

paracowboy said:
Wait until you know he's alone in his office, or wherever he works, and walk in with the book in hand. (Yeah, make damn sure you have your facts straight, and the ebst way is to have the source in hand.) Say, "excuse me, Cpl/Sgt/Admiral, but that lesson you gave was so cool, I started looking some of that stuff up, and this book says...."

".....yer full of shyte and shouldn't be allowed to handle guns."

Oops.  Damned outside voice again.  :-[

Future Unknown said:
This was after I recieved the talk about how the Stering was the worlds greatest house clearing weapon.

the LAVIII is the best room clearing weapon

ever

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "ever", dude.

I'd say the JDAM is probably the best room clearing weapon to date.  ;D

My personal favorite for room clearing the RPO-A SHMEL, a nice man portable termobaric weapon.

;)

read in 'No True Glory' about them using a couple of those thermobaric thingy's, they quite liked them

Me and a bowl full of chili washed down with some freshly squeezed orange juice.  THAT is the world's most effective room clearing weapon.

The first year we ( In the Reserves) has the C-7 a MWO told me we couldn't use metal mags " because our rifles were specially modified" ...... I removed my metal mag and inserted a cheap plastic one, then walked away muttering to myself.

Craig

Last night When I was handed the C1A1 (I'm in love BTW) he said, "This rifle was specifically designed to take a AK-47 round, Or was it the other way around?"
it was actaully funny.
I also made a "lock stock and two smoking barrels" joke when I got handed the Bren gun

This instructor needs to be corrected...but as others have said be diplomatic about it for certain.

Passing along incorrect information especially when it comes to weapons and which rounds will fit into which weapons "if hand fed" can and likely will lead to someone getting injured some day. It's a safety issue as much as it's a instructor competency issue. Whether it's possible or not is irrelevant and mixing ammo like that is a bad habit to get into.

**edited for spelling

You should ask him if he's actually seen a 7.62 NATO next to a 7.62 short  and actually tried to feed them.  Perhaps show him one of several photos available or articles from people that know what they're talking about.  In a diplomatic manner of course, but it should be done nonetheless.

MM

Back