• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WAY out of shape

ThatsLife

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright i'm new to these forums so let me start off with HELLO, my name is Emilio (I'm NOT Spanish, I'm Irish and Italian, but people think i'm spanish when they here my name and it angers my heart  :D ).

I'm 17 years old, 5'8, 165pounds. The problem is, my strength is fine, my agility is above average, but the thing is....A few months ago I was on work experience. While working at my local skateboard shop, There was a McDonalds next door....I went there EVERY day for lunch, for three weeks. Now when I wrestle with my girlfriends brother for even 2 minutes, i'm panting and coughing for twenty minutes. When I run 2.4km, I can barely make it the .4 without losing breath and panting and an extreme acidy feeling. Could this problem be because of all that grease or any of that crap clogged in my arteries and I have to go on a diet and exercise and what not? I was jogging today was 10 pound leg weights and I just died on the street. It was horrible, I had to walk like 65% of the duration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of school in 5-6 months and then i'm applying for the Army and I want to be fit and physically able to do everything up to expectations. And then some more.

I'm extremely agile. I can hop over fences without using my hands, I can climb 9 foot high walls in two leaps *jumping off the side of the wall and grabbing onto the top of the wall then pull myself up*

Everything is great with me other than the fact that I can't run long distances very well anymore. I use to get 9 minutes for a 2.4k run, now i'm lucky if I can get 14 minutes.

Any helpful hints, techniques, diets would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

:skull: :cdn: :skull:

I just realized...I typed that whole thing and it's hard to understand due to I spelled some things wrong. Bare with me.

Start to run daily.. Start at a slow pace and as time goes on keep on increasing the distance / speed you run for. Keep at it. I have had success by starting slow and working my way up.

You gotta start small.  Don't jump right into hardcore training.  Doing your first run with 10lb weights is just going to ruin your body and your motivation.  Set realistic goals and then build yourself up.  You'll be amazed at how quickly you will improve.

For example...start by doing a light 10-15 jog and then the next week up it to 20 minutes and so on and so forth...You don't have to bust right into trying to make the 2.4 clicks in the recommended time....Just set that as a goal and then work your way up.  There are also other cardio activities you can try like swimming etc.

You'll get better results and you won't hurt yourself.

Stay away from Mickey Dees of course.  But it sounds to me like your stomach problems could be coming from what you eat before you run.  It varies from person to person, but in my case for example, I can't eat anything at least 2-3 hours before I run, otherwise I get that acidy feeling you describe, I get cramps and its of course alot tougher on the system because your body is trying to digest food and do strenuous exercise at the same time so that may explain why you get tired.  Maybe you should avoid eating anything heavy before you run and just watch what types of foods you eat before you run as well.  I know it sounds lame saying this, but if the problem persists then maybe go see your doctor about it as well.

That's my adivce anyway.

Maybe you should avoid eating anything heavy before you run and just watch what types of foods you eat before you run as well.
your body is already working after you eat. It's trying to digest your food. Adding to it by running/working out will cause those symptoms you describe. Look at animals. After they eat, they nap. This is what nature designed. Don't exercise for at least half an hour after you eat, an hour is better. For cardio workouts, 2 hours is even better. Eat immediately after a workout/run. Replace those calories. Eating crap like McD's is even worse, because it's so heavily treated with preservatives, salt, sugar, and other chemicals, not to mention all that grease. The more natural a food source is, the easier your body can digest it.

I know it sounds lame saying this, but if the problem persists then maybe go see your doctor about it as well.
that ain't lame at all. That's good advice.

The few previous posts are excellent. Listen to what they had to say, because I used to be in the same boat that you're in; only I was pumping iron at a ridiculous rate and had an absolute-zero level of cardiovascular fitness. The thing with that is, if you're super-strong, what's the use of it when you're too winded to use it after a short stint of running?

-Also, running/jogging with weights, especially when you're out of shape isn't a good idea. They do more harm than good. That's just what I think, though...

Try these programs, one is a 5k workup, the other is a 10k workup. A couple of things about starting out with fitness, everybody trys to do to much too soon. If you've never run before then you probably will not be able to just go out and knock of 5k. In these programs, there is a very sensible approach, it's a walk run type deal. I know two guys who used similar programs and just ran the Boston Marathon, and they couldn't run 1k when they started. The weights on your legs are a bad idea, I don't know who the hell came up with that. You can check out all elite level athletes and see if they wear ankle weights, I doubt it. You should also combine weight lifting with your cardio, they compliment each other. Good luck  8)

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/index.htm

http://www.sportmedbc.com/Content/InTraining/Programs/LearnToRun10K%20Program%20New.asp

Wow. I've read all of your posts and this has been a GREAT help from everyone! I've taken everyones advice and i'm going to start slow. My friend and I went to the gym today to sign up for a membership and we're going to start cardio tonight for 30 minutes and then alittle bit of weight lifting. I'm going to take it slow and work my way up like you guys said, thank you all again!  :D

-Emilio

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:

Good choice

just a little tip though ... try cardio after weights. if you do weights first you burn through a good deal of your carb energy source, hence when you do cardio you will switch over to burning your fat stores faster

if you do cardio first, then weights, you will have used most of your carb supply up which will result in diminished performance when you go to do your anaerobic training. carbs burn better than fat so save em for weights.

Back