• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Wavy Navy" sleeve insignia?

Marine Atlantic use this pattern of rank insignia. The Chief Steward appears to wear three rows of zig-zag braid.

Lightguns said:
The ferry to PEI!

Marine Atlantic doesn't operate the PEI Ferry. Northumberland Ferrys Limited is the owner operator.

Marine Atlantic runs the ferry from Digby to Saint John also.

cupper said:
Marine Atlantic doesn't operate the PEI Ferry. Northumberland Ferrys Limited is the owner operator.

Marine Atlantic runs the ferry from Digby to Saint John also.

Bay Ferries run the Digby to Saint John run....

Marine Atlantic only does the NS/NL runs and is a crown corporation....

NFLD Sapper said:
Bay Ferries run the Digby to Saint John run....

Marine Atlantic only does the NS/NL runs and is a crown corporation....

My mistake, I didn't realize they had transferred the Digby - Saint John service to Bay Ferries, which is owned by Northumberland Ferries.

Turns out Marine Atlantic divested all but the NS to NFLD services in 1997. This included Yarmouth - Maine, Borden - PEI (once the Confederation Bridge was completed) and outport runs along the south coast of Newfoundland and Northern Newfoundland / Labrador.

Blackadder1916 said:
The insignia in the OP is Merchant Navy.  When I saw it my first guess was Radio Officer, since I recalled that their stripes were wavy but they were thin and not so bold.  Then I remember seeing something about "zig zag" stripes for Stewards.  Chief Stewards/Second Stewards (if in uniform) on British vessels wore one or two bold zig zag stripes depending on rating.  I don't know if the practice was followed in Canadian registered ships.  The single stripe on this fellow indicates that he is a Steward.

There are some Merchant Navy insignia at http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Badges/MN.html including this one.

12_12.jpg

Thanks a lot for that! Will share the information around with the other staffers here!

Back