• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Washington transit officer charged with aiding Islamic State

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

Oh man, I hope they come down like a ton of bricks on this asshole.

A police officer working for the Washington transport system has been charged with aiding militants of so-called Islamic State (IS).

Federal officials said Nicholas Young, 36, sent an FBI informant about $250 worth of credits for mobile messaging accounts used by IS fighters.

Mr Young's arrest marks the first time a US police officer has been charged with helping IS militants.

Authorities said there no was threat to the Washington transport system.

Mr Young had been under investigation since 2010, the FBI said.

The FBI said that Mr Young had travelled in 2011 to Libya to fight with rebels trying to overthrow President Muammar Gaddafi. He packed body armour and other military gear, authorities said.

Authorities said Mr Young was an acquaintance of Amine El Khalifi, who later pleaded guilty to plotting a suicide bombing at the US Capitol Building in 2012.

Mr Young, who has worked for the Washington transport system since 2003, was fired after he was arrested.

"Obviously, the allegations in this case are profoundly disturbing. They're disturbing to me, and they're disturbing to everyone who wears the uniform," said Paul Wiedefeld, the general manager of the transport system.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36968052

- mod edit to clarify "transit" vs. general "transport" -

More grim news from D.C.,

How Washington, D.C., Is Preparing for the Next Terrorist Attack
http://www.newsweek.com/2016/07/01/can-isis-take-down-washington-dc-472395.html
Meanwhile, Lanier knows her city is not just a top-tier target but the greatest unclaimed prize for terrorists. It’s the thriving capital of their arch-villain, home to the president who has vowed to destroy them, the Congress that funds the wars against them, the Pentagon that carries out the president’s orders and the Supreme Court that helps  keep their brethren in Guantánamo.

jollyjacktar said:
Oh man, I hope they come down like a ton of bricks on this *******.

I am guessing by the story that despite his Western name, he is a follower traveler? 

Lightguns said:
I am guessing by the story that despite his Western name, he is a follower traveler?
Mostly - initial report caveats notwithstanding - this piece seems to paint a picture of a guy who:
  • "Once wore a “Jihadi John” Halloween costume that included a headless hostage"
  • "Praised the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack in France, calling those terrorists “brothers.” "
  • "Associated with other men accused of terrorism-related activity"
  • Said he tortured animals when young
  • Collected Nazi memerobilia and has a German Eagle tattooed on his neck
You can check out the indictment here, or the U.S. Attorney's Office statement here.

Attachments

• BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 204
Actually, he sounds like a confused and screwed up individual. A muslim nazi with a freedom fighter complex and gun fetish.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Lightguns said:
Actually, he sounds like a confused and screwed up individual. A muslim nazi with a freedom fighter complex and gun fetish.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

And that's what the media will hone in on.

Lightguns said:
A muslim nazi with a freedom fighter complex and gun fetish.
They may even find some mental health issues.... you know, to differentiate him from thousands of other fellow citizens.  :nod:

;)    <--- ie - not ready to fall on the serious-meter sword.

Journeyman said:
They may even find some mental health issues.... you know, to differentiate him from thousands of other fellow citizens

Like a certain 14 million voter segment of the electorate? ;D

milnews.ca said:
Mostly - initial report caveats notwithstanding - this piece seems to paint a picture of a guy who:
  • "Once wore a “Jihadi John” Halloween costume that included a headless hostage"
  • "Praised the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack in France, calling those terrorists “brothers.” "
  • "Associated with other men accused of terrorism-related activity"
  • Said he tortured animals when young
  • Collected Nazi memerobilia and has a German Eagle tattooed on his neck

Therefore he would also probably qualify as an Officer in the British Army, like Prince Harry :)

Prince Harry faces outcry at Nazi outfit
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1481148/Prince-Harry-faces-outcry-at-Nazi-outfit.html

daftandbarmy said:
Therefore he would also probably qualify as an Officer in the British Army, like Prince Harry

>Posts a story from 2005 about Prince Harry making a mistake as a 20 year old at a party.

U wot m8?

I hope you're trying to be ironic, but there are pretty significant differences between the two stories.  Prince Harry being a lad is not the same thing as someone providing material support to an active terrorist organisation.

Remember, most of the time, the authorities only arrest the dumb ones....  ;D

Always blows me away at how many people can't pick up on sarcasm - nice one Daftandbarmy      :cheers:

CBH99 said:
Always blows me away at how many people can't pick up on sarcasm - nice one Daftandbarmy      :cheers:
Have a look at his posting history;  meagre as it is, that seems to be "his style."  ;)

Maybe he's German, in which case perhaps we should be sympathetic.    :dunno:

CBH99 said:

Yeah, I should use that 'sarcasm' emoji more often.

Then again.... :)

Back