• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warship's arrival signals Canada's new international muscle

Bigmac

Inactive
Reaction score
   A crowning acheivement for Canadian diplomacy!

NORTHERN IRELAND: CELEBRATING THE END OF SECTARIAN STRIFE

HAMIDA GHAFOUR

Special to The Globe and Mail

June 1, 2007

BELFAST -- The old docks area is probably a suitable place for the warship HMCS St. John's to be anchored.

The cranes and upturned earth are evidence the neighbourhood is undergoing regeneration; there is even a Titanic quarter being built to attract tourists to the spot where the ill-fated ship was constructed.

The booming city is a sign of how far Northern Ireland's peace process has come.

The warship was the site of a celebration yesterday to mark Northern Ireland's progress, with hundreds of movers and shakers, including Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay, gathering on its decks to mark Canada's pivotal role in helping bring to a close 35 years of sectarian conflict, known here as the Troubles. The arrival of the warship, which just ended a month-long NATO exercise in the Baltic Sea, was also a chance to promote Canada's military muscle on the international stage.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070601.BELFAST01/TPStory/TPInternational/Europe/

Had never heard of our Frigattes' being called that before :)

Many other things, but not that

geo said:
Had never heard of our Frigattes' being called that before :)

Many other things, but not that

Being called what? A Warship? funny that's the way we check in with Vancouver or halifax traffic control all the time...."Vancouver Traffic this is Warship Spikenard, We are presently at blah blah blah blah..." Any of our ships including the MCDVS check in that way to distinguish from a merchant man.

...Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay, gathering on its decks to mark Canada's pivotal role in helping bring to a close 35 years of sectarian conflict...

Did I miss something over the years?  Yes, Canada has always been concerned about the sectarian violence that plagued part of (one of) our Mother Country; in fact, Newfoundlanders of a certain age may even understand it on a personal level.  But reading the complete article I was puzzled because it seemed to suggest that the current progress in resolving the difficulties in Northern Ireland was in large measure due to the diplomatic (and military?) role played by Canada. 
Canadian High Commissioner to Britain, James Wright, said Northern Ireland is a good example of what Canada can do in other conflicts.

"We are reinvesting in our military and recruiting more," he said.

"We are prepared to play our part responsibly on the world stage. If we can bring an end to the Troubles, that sends a powerful signal elsewhere in the world like Afghanistan or Darfur."

But then, of course as a retired soldier, I also expected to see mention of that other retired soldier, John de Chastelain, who probably comes to mind for many on this means when progress in Northern Ireland is discussed.  Well, he wasn't mentioned but at least they did feature retired Mountie, Al Hutchinson.  So, again I asked myself, what was the "pivotal role" that the Canadian Government played in Northern Ireland for which its representatives (politicians) were taking bows.  Of course there are Canadians who have played prominent roles in Northern Ireland, in fact the afore quoted High Commissioner mentioned them in a speech he gave last October.
MR JAMES R WRIGHT High Commissioner for Canada
Address to the Memorial University of Newfoundland Dinner at the House of Commons, Westminster October 13, 2006

Canadians continue to play a prominent role in the Northern Ireland peace process:
-General John de Chastelain is now into his ninth year as Chairman of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning;
-Former Mountie Al Hutchison is the Oversight Commissioner for policing reforms. And given the serious concerns about organised crime, Al is playing an influential role in building public confidence in the police services;
-Retired Canadian Judge Peter Corey has played a very public role related to his inquiry into allegations of state collusion in various deaths during the long period of conflict there;
-Judge William Hoyt continues in his role as one of three members of the Bloody Sunday inquiry.

And Canada continues to contribute financially to the International Fund for Ireland, which supports cross-community cooperation, particularly among young people – many of whom have had little or no contact with community members outside of their own.  So, in terms of the cooperation across so many different areas, our political relationship has never been richer than it is today.

Though, these individuals are, to my understanding, employed in Northern Ireland as private citizens and not as official representatives of Canada.  It is a credit, however, to our nation that when foreign governments and organizations are seeking highly competent, honest and fair individuals to assist in solving problems they invariably think of Canadians.

Well, at least the reporter got the name of the warship right.

UMMM.... no, I was commenting on the "international muscle" part.

With you Geo, the "muscle" is definately not one which the CPF's get called often.

PO2FinClk said:
With you Geo, the "muscle" is definately not one which the CPF's get called often.

57mm Gun
CIWS
Mk 46 ASW toprpedo
RIM-7 Sea Sparrow SAM
AGM-84 Harpoon ASM

Might not be the most out there but certainly "muscle"

Blackadder: unless I miss the mark, you are quite right: the GoC has little right to claim any meaningful credit in the resolution of the problems of Ulster. John de Chastelain was, AFAIK, acting not as a a rep of GoC but as a "distinguished person" in his own right. Unless we played some role I don't recall, this is just cheap grandstanding.

Cheers

CDN Aviator said:
57mm Gun
CIWS
Mk 46 ASW toprpedo
RIM-7 Sea Sparrow SAM
AGM-84 Harpoon ASM

Might not be the most out there but certainly "muscle"

I dont get it...  I agree with muscle, but how is this 'new international muscle'?

HAMIDA GHAFOUR

Special to The Globe and Mail

Sensationalism...

We are shaking down the Irish for protection money or something...

Back