• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted: Someone to Replace ATC Radar at 7 Sites

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the Letter of Interest solicitation on MERX (also attached if link doesn't work):
....  The Government of Canada is preparing to procure integrated Area Surveillance Radar (ASR)/Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) systems that will replace the aging Air Traffic Control (ATC) radars that are currently operating at Canadian Forces bases.  The new ASR/SSR equipment will be supplied and installed by the successful Bidder, who will also interface the new ASR/SSR equipment to the existing ATC displays and consoles. The ASR/SSR Project will replace the six (6) existing operational surveillance radar systems and the Training and Support System, at the following locations:

1)    19 Wing Comox, British Columbia;
2)    4 Wing Cold Lake, Alberta;
3)    8 Wing Trenton, Ontario;
4)    3 Wing Bagotville, Québec;
5)    14 Wing Greenwood, Nova Scotia;
6)    5 Wing Goose Bay, Newfoundland; and
7)    Aerospace Telecommunications and Engineering Support Squadron (ATESS) Trenton, Ontario.

(....)

Deadline:  2010-11-18 02:00 PM Eastern Daylight Saving Time EDT

Goose Bay? Really? I know it is the policy of our government to save the base and re-invest there, but I thought we were also trying to save money. I don't know how this contract will cost (probably not a fortune), but I would have hoped that we would have seen the writing on the wall by now...

Haletown said:
what ever happened to MAATS?

MAATS is the computer system, which takes feeds from the various radars and met equipment, as well as flight planning info.  The solicitation is for the new ASR and SSR equipment and installation only.

TimBit said:
Goose Bay? Really? I know it is the policy of our government to save the base and re-invest there, but I thought we were also trying to save money. I don't know how this contract will cost (probably not a fortune), but I would have hoped that we would have seen the writing on the wall by now...

I somewhat suspect that, along with the need to replace ageing gear, there is a regulatory requirement that needs to be complied with. Goose Bay still being in operation would have to be made compliant.

I somewhat suspect that, along with the need to replace ageing gear, there is a regulatory requirement that needs to be complied with. Goose Bay still being in operation would have to be made compliant.

So true... I just wish we had (as in the GoC and the CF) the guts to call it what it is...dead. Surely that would relieve us of regulatory requirements...

Occam said:
MAATS is the computer system, which takes feeds from the various radars and met equipment, as well as flight planning info.  The solicitation is for the new ASR and SSR equipment and installation only.

I know what it is, I'm asking what has happened to it . . .  kinda of a related question rather than start a new thread.  It links to any new radars so there is a direct connection to this solicitation.  Someone has to do the interfaces.

MAATS  became the orphan child of CAATS and CAATS appears to have been "disappeared" by NavCan . . .

Just curious . . .  has it ever been updated - the technology is based on mid 1990's computer technology & architecture, will it be updated if new radar feeds come in?    How is the  software maintenance happening?

Haletown said:
MAATS  became the orphan child of CAATS and CAATS appears to have been "disappeared" by NavCan . . .

CAATS is still out there - just not the mega-terminal facility in Edmonton that was proposed.  CAATS is also software, all "strips" are now digital, no longer on paper.

MAATS was replaced in favour of RPDS2.  RPDS2 was expanded and became REDDS and REDDS is now in use at the TRACS sites.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=4227

From my understanding, the Sensis Corp won a contract to replace the aging airport surveillance radars, but its not likely to happen over-night.
Not sure of the final implementation or whether this only means equipment and/or support.
http://www.sensis.com/docs/768/p/
http://www.sensis.com/docs/625/

Bert said:
From my understanding, the Sensis Corp won a contract to replace the aging airport surveillance radars, but its not likely to happen over-night.
Not sure of the final implementation or whether this only means equipment and/or support.
http://www.sensis.com/docs/768/p/
http://www.sensis.com/docs/625/

By the looks of things, Sensis may have had some problems with the contract they signed.  Based on the information in the two links you provided, the very same thing (as well as integrated SSR) is being sought out in the MERX posting from 3 Nov 2010.  It's possible that Sensis wasn't able to meet the Mode 5 and IRB requirements, and DND/PWGSC was able to find an "out" from the contract.

Bump with the latest - from the short list .....
.... This is a notice of the bidders who qualified on the Area Surveillance Radar/Secondary Surveillance Radar (ASR/SSR) Solicitation of Interest and Qualification (SOIQ) which closed as of 26 April 2011:

(1) Cessidian (EADS)
Ottawa, Ontario
(2) ITT (Gilcron)
Van Nuys, CA
(3) Raytheon
Waterloo, Ontario
(4) Selex (DRS)
Kanata, Ontario
(5) Thales
Ottawa, Ontario ....

.... we have a winner!
.... Amount $75,498,650.00 CAD

(....)

Supplier Information

EADS Deutschland GmbH
Worthstrasse 85
Ulm
Germany

(....)

The official announcement....
Today, the Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, Q.C., Associate Minister of National Defence and Member of Parliament for Delta – Richmond East, announced a significant investment in new and improved radars at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) airfields.

Minister Findlay announced that the Government of Canada has awarded a contract valued at approximately $75.5 million to Cassidian, the defence and security division of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company of Munich, Germany, for new area surveillance radar and secondary surveillance radar systems at RCAF airfields across Canada.

(....)

The existing area and secondary radar systems at Canadian Armed Forces aerodromes are reaching the end of their estimated life expectancy. This contract will cover the replacement of these radar systems which are used by the RCAF to support air traffic management at several airfields across the country.

(....)
CF/DND Info-machine, 11 Apr 13

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4714

NR 13.097 - April 11, 2013

COMOX, B.C. – Today, the Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, Q.C., Associate Minister of National Defence and Member of Parliament for Delta – Richmond East, announced a significant investment in new and improved radars at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) airfields.

Minister Findlay announced that the Government of Canada has awarded a contract valued at approximately $75.5 million to Cassidian, the defence and security division of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company of Munich, Germany, for new area surveillance radar and secondary surveillance radar systems at RCAF airfields across Canada.

“Our Government is committed to providing our Canadian Armed Forces with the equipment they need to perform their work safely and effectively,” said Minister Findlay. “This contract is just the latest example of our ongoing dedication to deliver the best military capabilities at the best value for Canadians.”

The existing area and secondary radar systems at Canadian Armed Forces aerodromes are reaching the end of their estimated life expectancy. This contract will cover the replacement of these radar systems which are used by the RCAF to support air traffic management at several airfields across the country.

“Our Government is committed to acquiring and maintaining necessary equipment for the Canadian Armed Forces, at the most reasonable price for Canadians, with the greatest benefits for Canadian companies and workers,” said the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women. “This contract will ensure that our Royal Canadian Air Force sites continue to meet operational requirements.”

This contract was awarded competitively, and the essential tenets of fairness, openness and transparency continue to be the cornerstones of defence procurement practices. In addition, the Industrial and Regional Benefits Policy requires Cassidian to undertake business activities in Canada at a value equal to that of the contract.

“The Industrial and Regional Benefits policy encourages high-quality and advanced technology business opportunities for Canadian companies. It exposes our firms to global markets and fosters the development of long-term business relationships,” said the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of Industry. “This contract is another great example of how our procurement system brings economic benefit to regions across the country and continues to support our industry as a global leader.”

The replacement project will see the installation of seven new area surveillance radar and secondary surveillance radar systems at 3 Wing Bagotville, Quebec; 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alberta; 5 Wing Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador; 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario (one system at an operational site, and a second system as a technical training site for the Aerospace and Telecommunications Engineering Support Squadron); 14 Wing Greenwood, Nova Scotia; and 19 Wing Comox, British Columbia. The systems will be installed over the next three to four years.

Back