• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted Officer but for NCM

Iseeitall

Reaction score
Hello, sorry for what may be a silly question.

I am 37, and have held a university degree for over 11 years, I have a full time work as manager for the last 7 years, and currently enrolled in a MBA.
I applied for reserve as officer,
With my university degree, and experience I thought it would be a DEO into officer role.

However,  I was issue a CFAT after which the recruiter said , I dont qualify as officer, and the recruiter offered me a NCM.

Nothing against NCM, but do still and want the officer role.

Questions I am asking myself is.

1. If I accept NCM, how can I move into reserve officer ?
2. I read there is a process that needs chain of command approval. Can someone help me understand if this is my recruiter?
3. If I accept NCM, what rank I would be in after the basic training? I am asking this because ,besides approval from chain of command I would have to be at corporal rank.
4. How will I move to corporal.

On the other hand.
1. Can I retake the CFAT ?
2. Can I ask to review my results and understand how the recruiter got into the conclusion I was not a good fit ?

What degree do you currently hold? What officer occupation did you apply for?

1. Yes, NCM's switch to officer all the time. in fact, it's encouraged by the CAF.
2. If you are enrolled as an NCM, the recruiters are basically done with you. Your chain of command (up to and including your commanding officer) is the first phase of switching to an officer occupation
3. A reserve NCM hold the rank of Private/Ordinary Seaman/Aviator until you have completed your entry level training and served 2 years.....
4. ...... then you will be promoted to Cpl.

1. You can retake the CFAT however there is a mandatory waiting period before you can retake it. Your recruiter can tell you more. It can be taken later on if you switch from NCM to Officer.
2. Never hurt to ask.

1. You could but you would still need the proper CFAT score for officer.

2. No, this is for NCM’s wanting to move to Officers spots. And you would still need the proper CFAT score to do so.

3. You would be a no-hook Private.

4. After a few years usually.

——————

1. Usually you can retake after a year if you’ve demonstrated steps to improve your score. i.e: math, English, and grammar classes, etc

2. The CFAT is a science validated standardized test the everyone has to write. You can ask your file manager for a review but it won’t change the outcome of the results.

Iseeitall said:
Hello, sorry for what may be a silly question.

I am 37, and have held a university degree for over 11 years, I have a full time work as manager for the last 7 years, and currently enrolled in a MBA.
I applied for reserve as officer,
With my university degree, and experience I thought it would be a DEO into officer role.

However,  I was issue a CFAT after which the recruiter said , I dont qualify as officer, and the recruiter offered me a NCM.

Nothing against NCM, but do still and want the officer role.

Questions I am asking myself is.

1. If I accept NCM, how can I move into reserve officer ?
2. I read there is a process that needs chain of command approval. Can someone help me understand if this is my recruiter?
3. If I accept NCM, what rank I would be in after the basic training? I am asking this because ,besides approval from chain of command I would have to be at corporal rank.
4. How will I move to corporal.

On the other hand.
1. Can I retake the CFAT ?
2. Can I ask to review my results and understand how the recruiter got into the conclusion I was not a good fit ?

Iseeitall,

You can request to retake the aptitude test (CFAT) 30 days after you write it the first time, you will be asked to briefly describe what you did to study for it. I recommend reviewing the practice CFAT on the Forces.ca website (found under "How to join"). Focus your studying on the problem solving (math) questions, as they comprise half the test and is the most straightforward  section to study for. It is the most recent score that is used and writing it a 3rd time, if you do not get the score you need on the 2nd attempt, is only granted by exception (and typically require you to do a grade 10 math course since your 2nd attempt). Scores are good for life.

Without meeting the minimum required score on the CFAT you cannot join as an officer, or commission later in service. Studies have shown a strong correlation between meeting the minimum cut-offs on the CFAT and successfully completing occupation training.

Positions for officers in the reserves are limited and often have several applicants in competition for each spot. The CFAT score, in addition to having minimum cut-offs, is also used as one of the factors to compare applicants.

Consider the CFAT the same as you would an admissions test for university programs (SAT, LSAT, GMAT, MCAT, etc.) and study for the retest accordingly. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for such a speedy answer, I really appreciate it.

My degree is Computer Science, and I applied for Intelligence Officer. (Reserve).

I will indeed talk to my recruiter about retaking the CFAT and take it from there.

Awesome everyone, you have answered all my doubts.

Best.

Back