• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

It is most likely a complete scam.

Larry Strong said:
My sister in law who is a widow has been communicating with him and he asked for her to buy a $50 I Tunes Card......

A string of scams are taking place asking people to make payments over the phone for things such as taxes, hospital bills, bail money, debt collection, and utility bills. The scams are committed using many methods, including gift cards. As the fraudsters are sometimes using App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, we want to make sure our customers are aware of these scams.

Regardless of the reason for payment, the scam follows a certain formula: The victim receives a call instilling panic and urgency to make a payment by purchasing App Store & iTunes Gift Cards from the nearest retailer (convenience store, electronics retailer, etc.). After the cards have been purchased, the victim is asked to pay by sharing the 16-digit code on the back of the card with the caller over the phone.

It's important to know that App Store & iTunes Gift Cards can be used ONLY to purchase goods and services on the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, for an Apple Music subscription, or for iCloud storage. If you're approached to use the cards for payment outside of the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, Apple Music, or iCloud, you could very likely be the target of a scam and should immediately report it to your local police department as well as the Canada Revenue Agency.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/itunes-gift-card-scams

A quick check of two databases shows no Maj Robert Broughton, RCA, in the CAF. Sometimes the info isn't 100% accurate, but I'd say it's total bull. They guy she's communicating with could even be a scammer from India. Those CRA scam folks really like to ask for payment by iTunes gift card.

Robert Cooper appears in Wetaskawin, Alberta court, 4605 51 St, on Mon Nov 5, 2018 to face these charges.  Please show up and support all real veterans.  We had 10 veterans in attendance in Red Deer last time a vet imposter was charged and he got more punishment than the last guy. We need veterans and current military to show up for his court date.
---------------------------------------------
A Wetaskiwin man alleged to have been impersonating a war veteran has been charged by the RCMP.

According to a press release from Wetaskiwin RCMP spokesperson Cst. Christine Hepburn, “On February 1st, 2018, Wetaskiwin RCMP members were attending trial at the Wetaskiwin court house. Robert Cooper was in attendance at the court house wearing multiple military medals. Cooper was confronted by a military veteran on his medals as it was believed they did not belong to him.

“An investigation was commenced and on April 30 with the assistance from Stolen Valour Canada, the Wetaskiwin RCMP executed a search warrant in rural Wetaskiwin. Seven replica military medals were seized from the home.

“53-years-old Robert cooper of Wetaskiwin has been charged with (7) counts of unlawful use of military medals.

“The Wetaskiwin RCMP would like to remind the public the wearing of military medals and impersonation of military veterans is unlawful and disrespectful to our wounded and fallen and to their service to Canada,” added Hepburn.

No Hel Like Tac Hel said:
Robert Cooper appears in Wetaskawin, Alberta court, 4605 51 St, on Mon Nov 5, 2018 to face these charges.  Please show up and support all real veterans.  We had 10 veterans in attendance in Red Deer last time a vet imposter was charged and he got more punishment than the last guy. We need veterans and current military to show up for his court date.
---------------------------------------------
A Wetaskiwin man alleged to have been impersonating a war veteran has been charged by the RCMP.

According to a press release from Wetaskiwin RCMP spokesperson Cst. Christine Hepburn, “On February 1st, 2018, Wetaskiwin RCMP members were attending trial at the Wetaskiwin court house. Robert Cooper was in attendance at the court house wearing multiple military medals. Cooper was confronted by a military veteran on his medals as it was believed they did not belong to him.

“An investigation was commenced and on April 30 with the assistance from Stolen Valour Canada, the Wetaskiwin RCMP executed a search warrant in rural Wetaskiwin. Seven replica military medals were seized from the home.

“53-years-old Robert cooper of Wetaskiwin has been charged with (7) counts of unlawful use of military medals.

“The Wetaskiwin RCMP would like to remind the public the wearing of military medals and impersonation of military veterans is unlawful and disrespectful to our wounded and fallen and to their service to Canada,” added Hepburn.

Well done that Walt Hunting Team!  [cheers]

Haggis said:
And another one joins the ranks, shared with the usual disclaimers:

Man Charged with Impersonating Soldier

This one's a rough one and shows how actions like this can affect so many people.  Apparently this guy helps to run an after-school program that is modelled after cadets, but is independent of them.  The kids wear multi-cam and even have a dress uniform, performing at parades and doing fundraisers, learning field craft and firearm safety and the like. The problem is, too many people will associate this group with cadets, even though they are not associated with the CAF, DND or the cadet organization in any way.

Strike said:
This one's a rough one and shows how actions like this can affect so many people.  Apparently this guy helps to run an after-school program that is modelled after cadets, but is independent of them.  The kids wear multi-cam and even have a dress uniform, performing at parades and doing fundraisers, learning field craft and firearm safety and the like. The problem is, too many people will associate this group with cadets, even though they are not associated with the CAF, DND or the cadet organization in any way.

So, it's kind of like NDHQ then? ;)

Strike said:

Unfortunately, the article I posted doesn't say who he was fundraising for.  Notwithstanding, he was charged under CC 419(a) to wit wearing a military uniform without lawful authority, which infers he was raising money either for his organization or for veterans, given the time of year.  This is a reverse onus charge which requires the accused to prove lawful authority to be found not guilty.

According to a May 2018 article in the same paper, the guy running the "cadet" corps has the same given name but different surname.  Perhaps a different person or perhaps one is an alias?

Strike said:

Not to mention it’s an opportunity for the anti military types to grab it and run with all kinds of nonsense.

Hamish Seggie said:

Not to mention it’s an opportunity for the anti military types to grab it and run with all kinds of nonsense.

That's my worry - that it will somehow give the cadet org a bad name, especially given some of the activities they were doing that cadets did away with some time ago.

Strike said:

You mean like Navy League, almost zero support, except for the hard work of individuals. Not sure if having access to Logistick Corp is help or hindrance?

The issue of stolen valour is crucial for the Royal Canadian Legion because the organization can't access individual service records. As a result, they rely on police to investigate allegations.

I am continually disappointed by the way the Legion weasels out of any role in verifying service. You'd think by now they could have built the necessary connections with DND, VAC, and LAC, to be able to look into claims of stolen valour and actually take a lead role to protect their own credibility in this issue. Somehow the "upstart" Stolen Valour Canada manages to do it. It may be "crucial" for the Legion, but it's not important enough to act.

Michael O'Leary said:
I am continually disappointed by the way the Legion weasels out of any role in verifying service. You'd think by now they could have built the necessary connections with DND, VAC, and LAC, to be able to look into claims of stolen valour and actually take a lead role to protect their own credibility in this issue. Somehow the "upstart" Stolen Valour Canada manages to do it. It may be "crucial" for the Legion, but it's not important enough to act.

As much as I love to slam the Legion I am pretty sure there are privacy laws that apply when researching past service and the Legion, not being a real governmental organization, might not be allowed to?

Bzzliteyr said:
As much as I love to slam the Legion I am pretty sure there are privacy laws that apply when researching past service and the Legion, not being a real governmental organization, might not be allowed to?
When you join the Legion don't they ask for proof of service if you elect service MBR?

I believe they ask for service number, service record, or discharge cert.

Bzzliteyr said:

Yes, privacy laws apply, but even a file that has been reviewed in that context and any sensitive information redacted will usually still contain details of service (units, dates, and locations) and medal entitlements. For my own research purposes, I have requested and received post-WW2 files that have been heavily redacted, but that information remained. For information still held by DND and VAC, all the RCL needs to receive in return to a request is confirmation of medal entitlements once they establish the comms chain to do so.

My stance on the legion has lightened significantly as of late.

A lot of money and charity does go through the legion from citizens towards vets and I think the legion has an obligation to ensure that money is being given to the people who it's intended for. Meaning they should take an active role in doing some fact checking.

They do have some smart and checked out people. When someone shows up with an 11 year CD or a a sacrifice medal but hasn't deployed overseas questions should be asked.

To get a Veteran's license plate in Ontario, your completed application must be stamped by the RCL Ontario Provincial Command.  Weird.  :dunno:

PMedMoe said:
To get a Veteran's license plate in Ontario, your completed application must be stamped by the RCL Ontario Provincial Command.  Weird.  :dunno:

You beat me to it.

Which raises the question of how many bogus vets are driving around Ontario and using the very rare "veteran's only" spaces?

Back