• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Interesting that the Stolen Valor investigation into "LCol" Brum claims the paperwork does not show that he ever even left Canada during WWII.  However, his Discharge Certificate from 1946 does show that he was awarded a Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with clasp.  The only way to get the clasp to this medal was to serve overseas (i.e. outside Canada).  Mind you, Newfoundland was considered "overseas" (seriously, it was) at that time.  So, whether all of his other exploits are true is one question, but to claim he never left Canada isn't true either.

Lightguns said:
Anyone tracking the Lt(N) The Reverend Watson?  Navy League instructor/Padre who attends strip clubs in Whites with 3 rows of ribbons?
20374412_828435987306075_1986659236326067500_n.jpg

Two of those rows of ribbons appear to be Legion and perhaps Navy League medals?  If so, they may be legitimate and they are being worn on his right breast, which would be correct.  As the other side, they appear to be Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals and perhaps a Commissionaire long service medal?  These too could be legitimate and if they are, they are being worn correctly.

Having said that, I'm not sure the Navy League has a white tunic in their orders of dress, but the shoulder flashes are definitely wrong.  He's wearing RCN shoulder flashes, not Navy League ones.  Also, the correct rank title/abbreviation for a lieutenant in the Navy League is Lt(NL).

"Retired ‘Navy SEAL’ praising Trump on Fox News was a fake"
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&q=fox+%22navy+seal%22+trump+fake&oq=fox+%22navy+seal%22+trump+fake&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5226.8991.0.10475.10.10.0.0.0.0.102.822.9j1.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.2MzhRIfThQs

"Fox News ran a story on Oct. 8 about a decorated Vietnam War Navy SEAL and glass artist who created an enormous presidential glass seal he hoped to give to President Trump. On Thursday, 11 days later, the network retracted the story after being told the Trump supporter never served in the SEALs or in Vietnam, much less earned commendations for his service."

Attachments

• fakeseal.jpg
    fakeseal.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 548
A fake SEAL making a presidential seal for a president who hates fake news.  This drips with irony.

That said, it does appear to be a nice piece of work. :nod:

There is a flip side to the Stolen Valour thing.

A few weeks ago I was walking back to my hotel from a Mess Dinner rather late at night.  I stopped to speak to some young people after one of them engaged me over my medals.  Full disclosure - I have a few medals, and a few commendations.  She was fascinated, and so we spoke.  A young man in the vicinity, who was on the phone at the time, looked at me and said "huh - stolen valour".  We immediately had an interesting discussion where I explained to him the fault in his reasoning, perhaps even pointing out that as a useless hipster he had no valour for me steal - again full disclosure - I am not a small man, and I had his full attention.

The zeal with which we publicly name and shame those stealers of valour may well serve to call into question real valour.

Just a thought.

PPCLI Guy said:
perhaps even pointing out that as a useless hipster he had no valour for me steal

:rofl:  Magical

The zeal with which we publicly name and shame those stealers of valour may well serve to call into question real valour.

True, however, sites/organizations like Stolen Valour can tell the difference between a Walt and the real deal.  I doubt, from your post above, they'd mistake you for a Walt.

Eye In The Sky said:
True, however, sites/organizations like Stolen Valour can tell the difference between a Walt and the real deal.  I doubt, from your post above, they'd mistake you for a Walt.

I am more concerned with the perception of the public than any organisation.

PPCLI Guy said:
I am more concerned with the perception of the public than any organisation.

Understood, however I think the average citizen can tell a Walt from a Vet to the same level they can tell an APC from a tank.  My wife didn't get a *spidey sense tingle* when she saw this POS on the news.  I did, however, immediately.  Way the beret is being worn, collar dogs, didn't have the presence you'd expect from a jumper/Pathfinder...my brain said '2 + 2 = bowling ball' with him.

The public doesn't take a moment to think nowadays it seems.  They just go with the 'last thing they saw on the iGadget'.  Encounters with uniformed professionals like you and others is what may educate some of them. 

PPCLI Guy said:
She was fascinated, and so we spoke.  A young man in the vicinity, who was on the phone at the time, looked at me and said "huh - stolen valour".  We immediately had an interesting discussion where I explained to him the fault in his reasoning, perhaps even pointing out that as a useless hipster he had no valour for me steal - again full disclosure - I am not a small man, and I had his full attention.

Sounds to me that while he may not have had much valour for you to steal, you may have inadvertently stole his girlfriend.  Did you ask him to hold your beer while you posed for her to admire your gongs and striking physique?

PPCLI Guy said:
A few weeks ago I was walking back to my hotel from a Mess Dinner rather late at night.  I stopped to speak to some young people after one of them engaged me over my medals.  Full disclosure - I have a few medals, and a few commendations.  She was fascinated, and so we spoke.  A young man in the vicinity, who was on the phone at the time, looked at me and said "huh - stolen valour".  We immediately had an interesting discussion where I explained to him the fault in his reasoning, perhaps even pointing out that as a useless hipster he had no valour for me steal - again full disclosure - I am not a small man, and I had his full attention.

I would have paid good money to see that!  :sinister:

Pusser said:
Two of those rows of ribbons appear to be Legion and perhaps Navy League medals?  If so, they may be legitimate and they are being worn on his right breast, which would be correct.  As the other side, they appear to be Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals and perhaps a Commissionaire long service medal?  These too could be legitimate and if they are, they are being worn correctly.

Having said that, I'm not sure the Navy League has a white tunic in their orders of dress, but the shoulder flashes are definitely wrong.  He's wearing RCN shoulder flashes, not Navy League ones.  Also, the correct rank title/abbreviation for a lieutenant in the Navy League is Lt(NL).

Was I the only one to notice he's wearing ankle socks in that picture?

I saw this gem when I was browsing the comment section of a YouTube video. I can't figure out how to quote outside source so I'm just going to copy/paste it. Here it goes:
Canadas light infantry did this, against America too special forces. Our LIGHT infantry. I'm 16 and I'm in the royal Canadian light infantry. Based on this, had we brought out our special forces (JTF-2) we would've smoked them. Of course if we had our special forces, no one would've seen them, they would just see the casings and smell the powder lol
Part 2:
Apparently I'm not alone, the majority of the comments pointed this out too. Our infantrymen held up and kept pace with some of americas elite task forces (SEALS, Force Recon). But put our boys in CSOR or JTF-2 in, and it's a whole different story. Make fun all you'd like, but remember, we've never lost a war.
And just a side note, and this is from personal experience, I'm very surprised at how long it took these guys on some things, for example, i don't know if it's changed for the video, but the target acquisition was way slower than I expected from the marines, even I feel I could've done that quicker (I am in no way saying I'm better or even equally as good because I know I'm not, I'm a boot with 2 months out of basic and a my first tour coming up soon, I have no experience compared to these guys)

Here's the link for the video if you wanna witness it first-hand:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hPViLamDzjA&feature=youtu.be

Commenters name is "ThatGuyonYoutube"

war2001v said:
I saw this gem when I was browsing the comment section of a YouTube video. I can't figure out how to quote outside source so I'm just going to copy/paste it. Here it goes:
Canadas light infantry did this, against America too special forces. Our LIGHT infantry. I'm 16 and I'm in the royal Canadian light infantry. Based on this, had we brought out our special forces (JTF-2) we would've smoked them. Of course if we had our special forces, no one would've seen them, they would just see the casings and smell the powder lol
Part 2:
Apparently I'm not alone, the majority of the comments pointed this out too. Our infantrymen held up and kept pace with some of americas elite task forces (SEALS, Force Recon). But put our boys in CSOR or JTF-2 in, and it's a whole different story. Make fun all you'd like, but remember, we've never lost a war.
And just a side note, and this is from personal experience, I'm very surprised at how long it took these guys on some things, for example, i don't know if it's changed for the video, but the target acquisition was way slower than I expected from the marines, even I feel I could've done that quicker (I am in no way saying I'm better or even equally as good because I know I'm not, I'm a boot with 2 months out of basic and a my first tour coming up soon, I have no experience compared to these guys)

Here's the link for the video if you wanna witness it first-hand:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hPViLamDzjA&feature=youtu.be

Commenters name is "ThatGuyonYoutube"

Er, uh, like, what?

Was anyone in attendance at the 11 Nov ceremony hosted by Br 90 RCL Fort Garry Winnipeg? There was an older gentleman wearing UK SAS berret, battle blouse (with SAS tabs), trousers and sporting two rows of swing mounted medals. The first row of medals were in the wrong order and consisted of what appeared to be very shiny (possible copy?) 53 Queen's Coronation, Korea, UN Korea, GSM, MSM and LSGC. Second row was all commemorative non-official medals.

Anyways, he seemed to grab the attention of more than a few folks and I didnt get a chance to chat with him. Just curious if anyone is tracking. Not saying he's a walt...but interested nonetheless.

PMedMoe said:
Ditto. The only walting I see is a 16 year old saying he's in the infantry...

:dunno:
Oh sorry, my format is kind of messed up since I'm typing on a weird resolution phone. I never claimed to be 16 in the infantry, that was the commenter from YouTube I was talking about, I'm going to see if I can clean up my post a bit once I get my hands on a computer.

I replied:

You are a liar and a fake, ThatGuyonYoutube. There is no "royal Canadian light infantry" and you are not in it. You had no "personal experience" beyond your own military-masturbatory fantasies when you wrote this crap, and probably none of much value even now (if any). You did not have your "first tour coming up soon" if you had just completed BMQ, and you were not a "boot" if you were/are in the Canadian Armed Forces.

But I'll play along. Where and when did you do BMQ? DP1 Infantry? What is/was your unit (other than a fictitious one)? Where is it stationed? Where is/was this mythical "tour"?

And no, as others have pointed out, you cannot join the Canadian Armed Forces at age twelve - Cadets are a youth movement - a good one, yes - but NOT a component of the Canadian Armed Forces and tactical training is not part of the Cadet programme.

But then, what do I know? I only served for forty-three years, from the day that I turned seventeen to the day that I turned sixty, beginning as a Reserve Infantryman but spending the bulk of my time as a Tactical Helicopter Pilot.

You have a LOT of growing up to do, lad.

Back